Is it important to have a dashcam facing inwards towards the driver/passenger?

MoneyT8

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A118C, G90
Hi, I was wondering if it was important to have a inward facing dashcam towards the driver/passengers? I just recently saw on the news that an Uber driver was attacked and he did have a dashcam, however he had to manually turn it to face inwards towards him and the aggressive passenger. I was thinking of have a dashcam facing inwards, out in the front and one for the rear so that would be 3 dashcams total.

Do you have guys one setup? What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Like this one from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00VU68SM0

i'd say that video proves it's a good idea to have one IF you have that sort of profession. if you want an in cab camera, i suggest you get one that excels at low light recording since the cabin will be a bit dimmer than the lit streets.

edit: just read that the passenger/attacker in that story is a taco bell executive something or other. :face palm:

I would think there may be privacy issues unless you announced to your passengers that they were being recorded.. before you started recording them.

I'm sure if you put one of these in your car window, you're letting them know cameras are recording, then they have a choice, to enter your car or not, knowing cameras will be recording

I'm sure there are far more experienced people than I but in the USA state laws will vary, some state courts will say you gave fair notice that they may be recorded, some state courts will say it doesn't matter as you had no right to record them. I'm not a lawyer in my own state let alone any other, so it would always be best to consult with one or see if you can find anything in your state laws, not just the DMV. And while I respect the police, many officers (state, county & townies) just do not know enough about the law to be able to tell you if you can do it or not.

I'll admit though I like the 2nd one, the yellow one, in my case I'd make them into magnets though, its bad enough I have enough techie junk in my truck I don't need some junkhead smashing my truck looking for a camera that's not there & take my other stuff that's harder to remove on a daily basis.

And while I respect the police, many officers (state, county & townies) just do not know enough about the law to be able to tell you if you can do it or not.
It is always wise to seek competent legal council when in doubt. Relying on legal opinions from forums and the police are risky at best.

My state is a one party consent state. That means I can record anyting as long as I agree to it.

Other states are 2 party consent states. To record you need the permission of those being recorded.

This chart showing 1 or 2 party states appears to be almost up to date. Look at your state statutes to see if the law has changed.
http://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/LAWS-ON-RECORDING-CONVERSATIONS-CHART.pdf

Thanks to glik v cunliffe you can record public servants in the performance of their duties without an issue.

This gives a good overview of that case.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glik_v._Cunniffe

My state is a one party consent state. That means I can record anyting as long as I agree to it.

Other states are 2 party consent states. To record you need the permission of those being recorded. (snipped)

Thanks Country_Hick, I'll check it out but I always keep in mind what Gabacho suggests too. :cool:
Specially since it seems my state is the only mixed up state, it might be all party but as long as I'm recording my conversations I'm okay? Yeah, flipping legal speak that even my reps cant figure out. Sheesh

Back