Is it okay to leave the B1W in direct sunlight all day?

dojomojo

Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
I mean attached to the windscreen, will the sunlight and temperature damage the lens or components in the long term?

It works well in your country according to other user's feedback!
You can tag me for a warranty if was broken within 18 months!

Yes that's fine, you can not do parking guard of course as that would push the hardware over its thermal limits for operating.
But just sitting there while you do other things should be fine.

Last summer was pretty hot here and my B1W spent it in the untinted side window, where on some days it was in full sun for over 6 hours. Occasionally it was left recording like that :oops: Never a problem of any kind. IMHO it's as good as any other cam in that regard and better than most (y)

Phil

Thanks, I guess my concern is that leaving it in sunlight will reduce the lifespan of the product, it's just a question of by how much & is it worth storing it away every morning when I park.

Thanks, I guess my concern is that leaving it in sunlight will reduce the lifespan of the product, it's just a question of by how much & is it worth storing it away every morning when I park.
Depends where you are?
  • You have given a location of North Pole, in which case sun and heat should not be an issue.
  • You have given a country of Afghanistan, in which case I wouldn't worry.
  • You appear to be in Australia, and an Australian summer is not good for any dashcam, so putting it in the fridge when not in use might add a few years to the life of the electronics, but might result in the mount or power connector wearing out first and so not actually helping!
Really I wouldn't worry for the B1W, except that if you really are in Australia then I wouldn't use it in parking mode on very hot summer days if the car is sitting in the sun with windows closed.

Last edited:
Last summer (2018) I had two B1Ws, I used the 2nd one as a rear cam. Both sat in a hot car in direct sunlight almost everyday for 8 hours, and never missed a beat. This past summer, I now have a job where I park in a parking garage. So no more sitting out in the hot sun.

All electronics will suffer a shorter life in high heat, so the question is really how much will the effect be. With the B1W, original Mobius with caps, and any Street Guardian cam I don't think you'll notice any lifespan difference; all these are known for their very good heat tolerance :cool:

Positively avoid any battery equipped cams in hotter climates as they will have a noticeably shortened life in high heat, sometimes lasting only months :eek:

Phil

Back