Is it possible to draw power from car instead of battery pack while driving?

erotavlas

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was wondering if the lifespan of a battery pack like the cell link neo can be prolonged by bypassing completely when car is on (in that case it would only recharge until full, then stop) , and Dashcam will switch to draw power from battery only when parked.

In my current hardwire setup my cell link neo only lasted about just over 3 years of continuous use until it died recently. I think the Dashcam is drawing power from the battery no matter whether you are driving or not and when driving the car recharges the battery. Is this right? If so is there a way to achieve the above suggestion, and do you think it will help improve lifespan?

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

Lithium batteries are best not charged to full & left in that state. Where as lead acid prefer to be topped up. Just wire in an AGM or Gel (say 26Ah) battery. Preferably not in the engine bay due to heat.

It's OK to leave a Li-type battery in a high state of charge unused for a few days, perhaps a week, but anything beyond that should be avoided. The service life of a correctly used and charged Li-type cell or battery is mostly how many charge cycles it sees. Some LiIon cells will go only 500 cycles, some LiFePO4 can go 5000 cycles. Battery quality makes a huge difference here too.

The ideal charge rate for Li-type cells is .5C or lower, which the Neo exceeds by a large margin in 'fast charge' mode. This significantly shortens cell life, especially when it charges time you drive the car. Far better results can be achieved, but not in a small permanently-installed 'plug-and-play' type device. You're much better off in every way using a pair of good powerbanks, with one slow-charging at home while you use the other, but you lose the 'hands-off' convenience of the Neo.

There's no ideal solution- you pay your money and take your choice knowing the drawbacks involved.

Phil

Back