Is it possible to fix the overlap removal time on Registrator Viewer?

Module 79L

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Dash Cam
AT11DA, SG9665XS, G1W-H
I was reading Street Guardian's DC thread and @kamkar1 brought up the subject of removing file overlaps on RV, which I've been "struggling" with since I started using it two years ago.

The thing is, when I have to join two clips usually I have to set the overlap to 1000ms, but the next time I need to do it I have to set it back to 0000ms or RV will cut 1 sec off of the beginning of the second clip. This "vicious" cyle starts all over again everytime I need to join clips. It's not a big deal but if there was a way of fixing the 1000ms setting it would be better.

Thanks.

As i recall my RV remember that setting and use it every time.

But i also think you can set up several camera profiles in RV, so you can have one profile that accomodate the 1000 ms overlap, and another that dont have any overlap.

I have fallen in the hole some times and had 1000 ms be cut off footage from a camera that do not have file overlap :(

I only have files from one camera.

What I found was that the 1000ms setting remains set but after the first use it starts cutting 1sec from the 2nd clip instead of the duplicated second between the two clips. :confused:

Last edited:
It should not be doing that.

3 Questions:
1) Which cam
2) Which version of RV
3) Whats the Splitter settings

It should not be doing that.

3 Questions:
1) Which cam
2) Which version of RV
3) Whats the Splitter settings
1) At11DA.
2) The last one in existence.
3) I've never set any Splitter settings. What's that?

2) The last one in existence.

Last version in existence is the version i modified for the maps fix. Find the download link in my signature.

3) I've never set any Splitter settings. What's that?

In RV go to the top tool bar and select Playback > Splitters, which items are ticked?

Also which settings are selected in Decoders and Renderer

Last version in existence is the version i modified for the maps fix. Find the download link in my signature.
I didn't update to that because I don't use the maps.

RV- Version.png

In RV go to the top tool bar and select Playback > Splitters, which items are ticked?

Also which settings are selected in Decoders and Renderer
RV- Splitters.png

RV- Decoders.png

RV- Renderer.png

Try the latest version first 6.0.0.22

If that doesn't work send me some sample files and ill try figure it out

Ok, I've just tried to join two random clips with version 6.0.0.22 (the end of a 5:01min file and the beginning of the next 5:01min file). I played it back and there was 1 second missing where the clips joined. I checked the overlap time settings and surprisingly it was set for the value I left yesterday (1020ms) when I joined two clips with the other version of RV! :eek:
I had to set the overlap time back to 0000ms to have a seamless joint of these two clips. :confused:

PS: The Splitters, Decoders and Renderer settings on the new version are the same as in the one I was using previously.

RV stores the last used settings in the registry which will apply to any version

Can you send me the sample clips

I have all the clips in my home computer, I can only send them when I get back around 12:30PM, local time. That'll be what? 22:30PM over there?
I'll cut two short clips, zip the folder and try to post it here as an attachment. If it doesn't work where should I send it to?

Last edited:
I'll cut two short clips, zip the folder and try to post it here as an attachment. If it doesn't work where should I send it to?

that won't work, upload to a file host like www.mega.nz or www.filedropper.com or similar and give him a link, also don't cut the files, use two complete segments

also don't cut the files, use two complete segments
That raises a pertinent question: I never use the overlap feature to join full 5min files, only to join the clips that I cut from the end of a segment and the beginning of the next. What if @flip9 doesn't find any problem joining the 2 full segments?

That raises a pertinent question: I never use the overlap feature to join full 5min files, only to join the clips that I cut from the end of a segment and the beginning of the next. What if @flip9 doesn't find any problem joining the 2 full segments?

have you tried joining two full segments?

the overlap setting should only matter when creating a single file which has a file break in the middle, keep in mind you'll have to selectively add or remove this setting depending on whether you're working with files from an Ambarella or Novatek camera, also not all Novatek cameras will use the same setting, it can vary from 1000ms to 1020ms depending on the model

have you tried joining two full segments?

the overlap setting should only matter when creating a single file which has a file break in the middle, keep in mind you'll have to selectively add or remove this setting depending on whether you're working with files from an Ambarella or Novatek camera, also not all Novatek cameras will use the same setting, it can vary from 1000ms to 1020ms depending on the model
No, I never needed to but if it eventually works normally with full segments it won't solve my issue because I need the overlap feature to avoid having to cut the extra second manually in the situations I mentioned above. I can't see why it would work in full segments and not in small clips.

No, I never needed to but if it eventually works normally with full segments it won't solve my issue because I need the overlap feature to avoid having to cut the extra second manually in the situations I mentioned above. I can't see why it would work in full segments and not in small clips.

my point was send full files that you haven't cut so that they are unmodified before he tries to replicate what you are doing, he would still want to cut the end of one and join to the start of the next but if you cut them first they may be altered anyway

Oh, ok! :)

I just tried the files. At first the playback timeline did some really odd stuff and it would not group properly. It turns out when i unzipped it, it changed the Modified Date attribute which RV uses to create the playback timeline.

Now that its grouped properly, the two clips plays seamlessly for me with the overlap time set to 1010.

I did notice the Date Modified (11/5/17 4:01) does not match the date/time in the clip (10/5/17 19:03). Are you copying these clips to your local disk first then playing them in RV?

If the files arent grouped together properly from inconsistent Date Modified info, that might be why the overlap time isnt always working.

I just tried the files. At first the playback timeline did some really odd stuff and it would not group properly. It turns out when i unzipped it, it changed the Modified Date attribute which RV uses to create the playback timeline.

Now that its grouped properly, the two clips plays seamlessly for me with the overlap time set to 1010.
Don't get me wrong, the overlap removing feature works (it removes the extra second) but I always have to set it back and forth between 0000ms and 1000ms every time I need to use it because one fixed setting doesn't work everytime.
You should try doing it again to see if it's still working as it did the first time.

I did notice the Date Modified (11/5/17 4:01) does not match the date/time in the clip (10/5/17 19:03). Are you copying these clips to your local disk first then playing them in RV?
Of course I don't play the clips in RV directly from from the card, I transfer them all to an external disk and play them from there.
As for the date, isn't it normal that RV modified the date/time (the 2 secs are normal because the camera's clock isn't set to the second with, for instance, Windows clock)? After all your time is 9 hours ahead of mine. :)

Back