Is it possible to have 2-channel 1080p dash cam systems based on supercaps (not batteries)?

Ukraine Visitor

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have read about the importance of supercaps to a dependable Parking Mode strategy. So my question: Does anyone make 1080p (or higher) 2-channel dash cams based on supercaps? I believe there are some 1-channel dash cams with supercaps, but I am only interested in 2-channel systems.

I have read about the importance of supercaps to a dependable Parking Mode strategy. So my question: Does anyone make 1080p (or higher) 2-channel dash cams based on supercaps? I believe there are some 1-channel dash cams with supercaps, but I am only interested in 2-channel systems.

There are few 2 x 1080p supercaps based dascham system ( mainly Korean made ), but their video quality is not that great due to hardware limitations. Check Lukas, Thinkware sub-forums.

Blacksys CF-100 is 1080 front but only 720 rear.

For 200 usd can get 4 channel system ( 2 x CF-100 ): 2 x 1080p front / rear + 2 x 720p sides. Supercaps, GPS, Parking mode. Reliable dashcam.

Says HERE that rear is 720,,, but perhaps that's an older model or the info is obsolete.
Ouch! I was also hoping for something more discreet..but oh well, this is a starting point in this venture!
Also I think what niko is suggesting is to get 2 sets of 2-channel systems and use the one intended for the front of set #2 as a 1080p in the rear..in effect ending up with front 1080p, rear 1080, Right side 720p, Left side 720p. Is that really possible, to fool the system that way?

Also I think what niko is suggesting is to get 2 sets of 2-channel systems and use the one intended for the front of set #2 as a 1080p in the rear..in effect ending up with front 1080p, rear 1080, Right side 720p, Left side 720p. Is that really possible, to fool the system that way?

the system has no idea where you will use it ;)

For 200 usd can get 4 channel system ( 2 x CF-100 ): 2 x 1080p front / rear + 2 x 720p sides. Supercaps, GPS, Parking mode. Reliable dashcam.

Thx for the thrifty :D summary!

Only other thing you will need is a battery drain prevention device, since the cf100 will gladly run till your car battery dies if you hard wire it. But considering how cheap the cf100 is now, getting a battery protector isn't a big deal.

the system has no idea where you will use it ;)

To extend that line of thought, in a 4-dash cam scenario, does that mean I could then, also take K1S set B front cam (13.3 VBR) and swap it set A rear cam (8.9 VBR) so that I could have front and rear at 13.3 BVR both while the sides are covered by the remaining 2 K1S dash cams each running at 8.9 BVR attached to set B's DVR?

To extend that line of thought, in a 4-dash cam scenario, does that mean I could then, also take K1S set B front cam (13.3 VBR) and swap it set A rear cam (8.9 VBR) so that I could have front and rear at 13.3 BVR both while the sides are covered by the remaining 2 K1S dash cams each running at 8.9 BVR attached to set B's DVR?

you can put them anywhere you like

Apologies for the late reply, just found this thread as I'm not normally in this section.

I do wonder if @jokiin's reply was more to confirm that you're able to physically place the remotes wherever you like, rather than being able to run the two higher-bitrate remotes from the same DVR. Would the firmware on the DVR be able to cope with two higher-bitrate feeds? What about the card?

You could certainly have set A covering front and one side, and set B covering rear and the other side. AFAIK the rear (8.9) remote on a K1-S has an extra anti-glare coating on the lens because it will be facing directly into the headlights of cars behind you. But if you have a second unit to cover the sides, you'll probably also be getting more direct exposure to headlights on the driver's side than the passenger's side, because that's the direction the dipped headlights on the other cars are pointing at junctions and on motorways etc. So you might want to run set A front (13.3) & driver's side (8.9), and set B passenger's side (13.3) and rear (8.9). Then, if one DVR fails, with the remotes that way round you can easily reconfigure the sets so that you still have a front and rear as per the original design, without having to move the remotes themselves.

EDIT: Just thought some more about that, and now wondering what the benefit would be over just having one set for front & rear and the other set for the two sides. Possibly so that everything you could most easily see from the driver's seat is recorded to one card, with everything else to the other card? I guess it's a question of which two pairs of streams you'd prefer to have automatically synced up when reviewing footage (also in case of an incident).

Last edited:
I do wonder if @jokiin's reply was more to confirm that you're able to physically place the remotes wherever you like, rather than being able to run the two higher-bitrate remotes from the same DVR. .

yes, that's what I meant, I can see how that could be misinterpreted though so thanks for pointing that out

You could certainly have set A covering front and one side, and set B covering rear and the other side.

yes, this is what I meant

does that mean I could then, also take K1S set B front cam (13.3 VBR) and swap it set A rear cam (8.9 VBR) so that I could have front and rear at 13.3 BVR both while the sides are covered by the remaining 2 K1S dash cams each running at 8.9 BVR attached to set B's DVR?
Sorry for the late reply I just seen this, but I wanted to point out that at least when I tried it with a SH800 Dual for front and rear and a K1S for sides that the K1S tilts down too far to be a good side camera set up.

Back