IS it possible to save files with time stamps instead of numbers?

Mia Melody

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

tried using the mobius manager to set up time stamp but i only see a option to put a set of numbers, i get 1101, 1102 etc etc , i want year, month, date and time stamps for all my files so i dont have to dig around to find something again.

please advise

Cheers

How do you look at the files?
I use windows stuff, and set the file listing option as 'details', which will give me the time.

mobfiles.JPG

i put the sd card in the mac and see the same sort of thing, but cant we change the file titles?

Other cameras have time/date based file names, it's one way or the other though, having it as a user selectable option is not practical

I can usually find he clip I want PDQ by making my best guess about the time then viewing enough of that vid to see where I was on the road then. From that with knowing the file lengths I'll usually hit my target in 1-3 more tries; takes less than a minute to do ;) I'm not a 'clock-watcher' so I wouldn't know the exact time of an event anyway, but I do remember my travels and what I saw when driving :cool:

Phil

The Mobius 1 uses the SFN (Short File Name) convention, also called 8+3. As such, the file name is limited to 8 characters max. plus a 3 digit extension. Operating systems, typically DOS and Windows 3.1, that only support FAT cannot read files with longer names.

A major problem with date/time-based file naming is when there's no more power to keep the RTC (Real Time Clock) running. The date and time will be reset to their default settings. In this case, when you start a recording, there is a small danger that your initial file will have the same name as a previous file. Even if this doesn't happen, you will have absolutely no way of telling which file is which, your files will be completely jumbled.
If you have a supercap installed and don't use the camera for about 10 days, the date and time will be reset.

It would, theoretically, be possible to periodically store the current date and time to non-volatile memory so that when power is applied again the date and time will continue from the last stored value. I don't find this solution very elegant. Actually, it could prove to be even more misleading.

I sort all my clips by their date and time attributes automatically. If my date was reset, then all I need to do is click the 'Name' heading and the files will be sorted by their sequence number. Very elegant, and I have two choices - well actually many, many more - like duration, size, etc.

I haven't looked, but I'm sure there must be programs which can rename files based on their date and time attributes. It would be a perfect project if you want to learn how to program and could most likely even be done using scripting.

Both Mac and Windows have numerous methods for viewing file attributes within folders and directories.
For dash cam videos on the Mac I prefer the list view which provides everything you need to easily figure out which file you may be interested in and you can prioritize how those files are presented to you. You can also flag files with a colored dot.

files.jpg

Occasionally, I'll use the thumbnail view which lets you easily scroll through image thumbnails from the files in the folder with the same attributes just below. You can then just click on the thumbnail to launch the file in your media player.
This can be pretty handy for finding a specific file quickly based on what you remember from your journey.

Either way, the time "stamp" is right there on any platform.

thumbs2.jpg

Last edited:

I haven't looked, but I'm sure there must be programs which can rename files based on their date and time attributes. It would be a perfect project if you want to learn how to program and could most likely even be done using scripting.

I had a customer write a batch script for exactly that for one of our old products (was about 5 years ago and sorry I don't have a copy) and the script was very simple and did exactly as you describe, just renamed files based on time date attributes and output to the same folder

Did a quick search on "renamed files based on time date attributes" and found this software which is freeware. It looks like the "Filename Pattern" option might do the trick.
ill try this, i want to store my files and the correct way (alphabetically) would be year, month, date and time (including seconds), anything else is a pain in the rear lol

thanks

Back