Is it worth it to change the FOV on the JooVuu?

Eye0nU

Reaction score
Country
United States
First post: I am trying to get the best quality out of this thing so I can read plate numbers. I was considering lowering the FOV to about 120 deg from the standard 155 deg so it can focus all of it's bit rate on just that section. However, I am wondering if I would be wasting my time due to it acting like a digital zoom where you don't get any "extra" quality? Haven't tested this myself yet, but I was wondering if others have already. What ya think?

First post: I am trying to get the best quality out of this thing so I can read plate numbers. I was considering lowering the FOV to about 120 deg from the standard 155 deg so it can focus all of it's bit rate on just that section. However, I am wondering if I would be wasting my time due to it acting like a digital zoom where you don't get any "extra" quality? Haven't tested this myself yet, but I was wondering if others have already. What ya think?

Hi @Eye0nU
Firstly, welcome to the forums!

It does act as a bit of digital zoom, but some people like this - I personally have mine on 155 but I know @kamkar1 has his on something different.

I always like my dashcams with the widest possible FoV simply because I like to see as much as possible, but a lot of people just use it for reading plates - it's really what you are looking for :)

Cheers,

Dan

Welcome to the forum.

I am back to 155 on my cameras, or rather one is down to like 70.80 degrees or so, but thats done by fitting another lens ( 8 mm ) to the camera.

I have done some experimenting on the digital zoom of the camera, and all seemed to be working allright.
But there is really only one way to get things a little closer and thats using optics.

Here is a fresh video from the x camera with the 8 mm lens, as you can see/ feel it give a more up and personal experience, and in the footage you can read plates ahead of you just about as far as you can in the car usiog your eyes.

I think its really cool to have this in the windscreen, but you really got to have a wide angle camera there too cuz you loose a lot on the side.
On the other hand having been experimenting with this lens for some weeks now it seem to me that your chance of capturing a plate is higher at least in low light and weather like rain.

I would like a better 8 mm lens, this one is not a high grade lens, still its not all that bad.

In this video first you get the 155 degrees, and after that the same from the camera with the 8 mm lens.

And another one with me comming up on a beemer-boy at a intersection, as you can see the rear of the BMW fill the screen just about as it do in my little snub nosed car

Thanks for the reply all. I did some more tests and I think I found a funny trick to reading plate numbers. Gonna try a few more tests before I comment more. But at least this question has been answered.

Dan,
Is there a narrow lense (90 - 60 deg range) you can suggest for the model X?
I prefer to buy an X if I can get the FOV tight.

@albertson
I think the X uses a standard lens thread, M12 maybe? In that case you could use any lens which matchs that standard.
@kamkar1 is the only person I know of that has changed the lens on their JooVuu X, see the video example above.

Last edited:
Yeah the X cam also use the m12 - 0.5 pitch thread used in most action and cctv cameras.

I am planning on ordering this one when i feel i can afford it, cuz the 8 mm lens i already have is not a megapixel one i am sure.

https://www.peauproductions.com/collections/gopro-hero-3-white-lenses/products/gp80016

Peau have a wide range of these lenses, but some are quite expensive.

https://www.peauproductions.com/collections/gopro-hero-3-white-lenses

But if you want a lens with 60 - 90 degree FOV then you will have to go below 8 mm lens and look at something in the 4 - 6 mm size.

I feel the 8 mm lens is more in line with what you can see with your own eyes, off course without the wide FOV our brain make us think we have.
But 8 mm is also pretty narrow FOV, but not to a degree it bother me, but this is due to i also have a wide FOV camera beside the X camera.

If you FF to 2:08 in this video you will see a event first with the stock x camera lens and after that with the other x camera with the 8 mm lens installed.
You might want to open the same video in 2 windows so you can pause my car at the same place during the event and then compare the 2 cameras.

This is the same modified camera where i pull up behind a van waiting for green light, im stopped the usioal distance from the van, and thats like 3 feet from it.
And my car is a "snub nose" so from the front of it to the dashcam is also only a few feet.
So snub nosed even on wide angle cameras you can hardly see anything off my front as it start to dive down as soon as the windshield ends

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C JooVuu 4
Back