Is it worth updating the firmware?

avaire

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A129 Plus Duo
Greetings
I just received the A129 Plus Duo. Its firmware is v1.1.
I read on BlackBoxMyCar that a firmware update disables buffered parking mode. Scroll down after clicking the embedded link and it will be in a red box labelled IMPORTANT.

With this in mind, is it worth updating the firmware of the cam I just received? Should I choose a certain version in particular to update to?

Thank you

Welcome to DCT @stapmoshun :)

In general, if a cam does what you want it to there's no need to update. It's often best to stay with the supplied FW till you get comfortable with the cam and know what it does so that you can spot any problems with later updates. I don't have this cam but there's much discussion on it so maybe browse the thread topics where FW or updates are mentioned.

Phil

Out of curiosity, where did you purchase your camera from?
I bought it off of Amazon, which was sold by BlackboxMyCar. It was on Prime Day so there was a good discount.

Thank you for the response, SawMaster. I am still undecided on this matter. I don't want to get rid of a vital feature, but I also do not want my new device to be buggy.

I've also noticed that something interesting has happened to the link I've provided in my first post. The "IMPORTANT" message used to have a link to the blog post which talked about the removed feature, but the blog post itself is now removed. This was the link to the blog post. https://www.blackboxmycar.com/blogs/news/viofo-memory-partitioning-and-buffered-parking-mode-gone
@BlackboxMyCar do you know why this has happened?

It now redirects to VIOFO's collection. This is really strange. I will wait for further input from anyone else on this forum.

The buffered parking mode recording (motion detect) does not always work properly for my A129 Plus Duo.
I had have a lot of problem with this mode and switched to use the low bitrate parking mode instead.
I currently use FW1.5.

I decided to update to v1.5

I thought that it would be better to squash any bugs that might prevent me from recording something crucial. Better safe than sorry. Still waiting on @BlackboxMyCar , do you guys know why the blog post was removed from your site?

Thank you

I asked where you purchased because I bought mine from black box my car (official website not Amazon). When I ordered, it stated backorder. I'm just curious which firmware I will be on.

Unfortunately, it's still the case that the A129 Plus does not have buffered parking. We've fixed our wbesite - thanks for pointing that out.

I would just like to be able to update the fw on my Duo.

Followed the directions to a T but it never updates to the fw.

The cam goes through all the steps and the pop ups all come up but after rebooting it still has the same original fw

I would just like to be able to update the fw on my Duo.

Followed the directions to a T but it never updates to the fw.

The cam goes through all the steps and the pop ups all come up but after rebooting it still has the same original fw
After you update the firmware, please manually default the camera's settings, and then press and hold the hard reset button on the side of the camera for about 5 seconds. If it doesn't work, please let me know.

Okay. I’ll try it tomorrow. Thanks.

What does it say in the cameras settings (not in the app)?

Yes and yes.
I’m using the file that is on the VIOFO web site.
‍Shrug

Yes and yes.
I’m using the file that is on the VIOFO web site.
‍Shrug
Can you try the file from the link below. It sounds like your just reloading the same version. Maybe there is an error on the Viofo site. FYI, the link is for the non-eMMC firmware. If you have the eMMC version, navigate to hat version from the link below.

I’ll give it a shot and let you know.

Back