Is Joovuu X stable now?

ChibiSqueeze

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm interested in the Joovuu X as a rear dash cam and for insurance purposes--I need a dash cam that is reliable/stable.

I know Joovuu has better video quality since recently, but I've read about 2 months ago that it has issues with not recording, missing files, file corruption, etc. Is this still the case or has these all been fixed?

Möbius or Möbius 2 would be my 2n option.

I always check if I got recording light on my X cam. I will say 1 out of 25 times, it does not start recording, so I unplug usb cable on the cam for 10 sec and it start up normal again. When its recording I will say 1 out 50 times it stop, for no reason.
I use the firmware from September 6.
I don't know how the quality of the batch is now, regards if in focus. Both camera I tried out was out of focus and the CPL lenses also needed to be turn around.
I like the form factor of the camera, but I can't use sun visor because the usb point strait back and is in the way. You can always place it under the mirror, but then its not as discreet.

I always check if I got recording light on my X cam. I will say 1 out of 25 times, it does not start recording, so I unplug usb cable on the cam for 10 sec and it start up normal again. When its recording I will say 1 out 50 times it stop, for no reason.
I use the firmware from September 6.
I don't know how the quality of the batch is now, regards if in focus. Both camera I tried out was out of focus and the CPL lenses also needed to be turn around.
I like the form factor of the camera, but I can't use sun visor because the usb point strait back and is in the way. You can always place it under the mirror, but then its not as discreet.

1 out of 25 isn't reliable enough for me. I guess I'll look into getting the Möbius. Thanks for the input.

Mobius2 also have its issues, but i never seen in not start recording.
My X camera have been rock stable on the latest beta firmware, i have put about 90 Gb thru the 64 Gb card and i have not been able to find any missed beats on the SD card.

Mobius 2 footage

I have seen this a few times since then, but only using H.264 mode.

Using a PNY U3 card in the mobius 2

I trust my original Mobius implicitly- it has never let me down :cool: But I always look for the 'record' light on all my cams when I start just to be sure. I'd hazard a guess that the M2 will be just as good and if some problem arises there will be a firmware update fixing it quickly- that's the Mobius way . My own method with everything is to stay a version or two behind with firmware and updates; that way I can see if others report a problem I can avoid ;)

Let someone else be the guinea-pig, and if it ain't broke don't fix it :cool:

(PS: Should have the JooVuu installed this weekend, and if it's as good as I hope it will replace the Mobius in front but it has some tough competition to beat first in Mobius!)

Phil

The 'not' recording issue seems to be an odd one - it seems to now mainly due to card issues. We have had it reported by 3% of users with most users who report it solving it by changing microSD card.

But yes it is stable :)

Cheers,

I had trouble (random stops) with mine using the 6th September firmware so I rolled it back to the previous one, 16th August, and I've now filled and overwritten my 128GB PNY U1/Class 10 card (just over 16 hours worth of footage, nearly 1000 1 minute files using a mix of 2560x1080 at daytime and 1920x1080 HDR at night) and that has been perfect. No stops, starts every time, all recordings are playable, WiFi works reliably, Timed Mode switches as it should do, etc. But yeah, if it ain't broke, I'm not going to 'fix' it with a new firmware, unless some new really cool feature comes out that I'd really enjoy using. There is a slight audio issue with 16th August firmware, however, just some background noise that doesn't bother me enough to make me want to upgrade yet.

The good thing about the JooVuu X is they supply both .bin and .elf firmware files for every firmware. This makes it possible to go back to any previous firmware if you need to. It also makes the camera pretty much unbrickable. Using the .bin file everytime a new one is released is the easiest way, but, should anything ever go wrong, you can nearly always sort it with the .elf method. It's pretty easy to do but does require a Windows computer.

The CPL needed to be flipped with mine but that is a 5 minute no-tools-required job. The filter is quite high quality too, I leave mine on all the time and it doesn't affect night footage that much, especially using HDR mode.

I like the form factor of the camera, but I can't use sun visor because the usb point strait back and is in the way.

JooVuu themselves sell a right-angle mini-USB adapter that can help with this.

Does this work with the GPS signal wire though or fully wired input/output.....?

I've found a short 25mm lead with right angle plug doesn't. They are not fully wired end to end to carry GPS.

Recently explained to me why on the joovuu forum.

Honestly, I'm not sure as I don't actualy have one, although I wouldn't mind one. I would have assumed it had the complete USB power + data pins and in the right places. @JooVuu will be the best one to advise.

Honestly, I'm not sure as I don't actualy have one, although I wouldn't mind one. I would have assumed it had the complete USB power + data pins and in the right places. @JooVuu will be the best one to advise.

He's vanished off the forum

..........The CPL needed to be flipped with mine but that is a 5 minute no-tools-required job. The filter is quite high quality too, I leave mine on all the time and it doesn't affect night footage that much, especially using HDR mode.

Hi, what kind of CLP filter do you use? I would like to buy one which does not influence the night footage. Thanks..

Hi, what kind of CLP filter do you use? I would like to buy one which does not influence the night footage. Thanks..
Any CPL you get will affect night videos to some degree because the color of the filter itself. There is no polarizing material available that is 100% clear, as in no tint or color.

I know, I just understood from the Kip, that he has probably higher quality CLP , which affects the night footage less than JooVuu X CLP...

Hi Stealth, I'm just using the JooVuu X official CPL. Don't get me wrong, it does have a noticable effect on night footage, but, the camera is still performing well enough. HDR 1080p mode can brighten night footage compared to other modes and that's what I use. There's also the trick you can do with VLC (desktop variant not mobile) by applying a gamma filter to see even more. I made a post about this on JooVuu's own forum but the original post (not mine) which details it is here on DCT somewhere.

Does this work with the GPS signal wire though or fully wired input/output.....?

I've found a short 25mm lead with right angle plug doesn't. They are not fully wired end to end to carry GPS.

Recently explained to me why on the joovuu forum.

Any help on this one please @JooVuu ?

The 'not' recording issue seems to be an odd one - it seems to now mainly due to card issues. We have had it reported by 3% of users with most users who report it solving it by changing microSD card.

But yes it is stable :)

Cheers,

No it's (still) not stable Dan....

And I'm not the only one....

I am really disappointed by the attitude of the owner of Joovuu X...

It could be nice camera if they focus on the firmware....With the december 2016 update it works a bit better than sepetember but after the SD card gets full the camera starts to switch off, freezes etc...It does not overwrite old files.... I have manually delete all files and then it works again until I need some file to save (with the power button), because it magically disappears and many of other files too....shame....

I am really disappointed by the attitude of the owner of Joovuu X...

It could be nice camera if they focus on the firmware....With the december 2016 update it works a bit better than sepetember but after the SD card gets full the camera starts to switch off, freezes etc...It does not overwrite old files.... I have manually delete all files and then it works again until I need some file to save (with the power button), because it magically disappears and many of other files too....shame....
I just finished running a stress test (may use the camera for my rear window) and Joovuu X did good. I installed 40M firmware (based on 12/2016 code) and let it run all night.
After about 7 hours it was still recording fine. The temperature on the outside of case was 135°F. The card was 32G Transcend and I formatted it in camera prior to the test. Each 3min. segment was ~800MB.
Before you write it off, try different cards - it often makes a difference.

...I am using the reccommended sd card for joovuu and I also did everything according the manual....no offense but now I start buying new cards just to prove that there is always problem in the card and not the camera....if the camera is well working I dont have to buy Sd cards and do the testing....that should be done by onwer...anyway, my mistake...

Even the best cards can be wonky, i had expensive high end 64 Gb class 10 / U3 cards go bad for me even before i managed to fill the card up 1 time. ( Trancend Ultimate and PNY )
And then replacement card work just fine.
Off course joovuu can and have probably also turned out some bad cameras, just too bed they are not as proactive in this regard and make sure those affected get a new camera ASAP.

As @lacibaci above say "Each 3min. segment was ~800MB"

800 MB divided with 180 seconds ( 3 minutes ) that's just a write speed of 4.4 MB every second, theoretically even the poorest of SD cards should be able to sustain speeds like that ( U10 cards mean at least 10 MB/s write speed but good U1 cards can be 20 or more MB/s in write speed )

But with the price of SD cards i would not go for the cheapest ones.

Back