Is mobius still the best dashcam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its been some years since I purchased my mobius a-lens camera.

So I used it as a dashcam.
I like my dashcam to be small so they are not as noticeable.
I only use my dashcam to grab people's number plates during the day and night if possible.
I wouldn't use gps.
Screens or no screen it doesn't bother me haha.

I believe you just answered your own question.

I have only good things to say about good old mobius A and C.
M2 i don't know.

a lot of people still use Mobius. but there are a lot of new players in the market and some good options.

I love the little Mobius but in comparison with some of the newer cans it's age is showing, especially at night when compared to cams with the Sony Exmor sensors. Some newer cams also have better features. If you like small, have a look at the WR- it's diameter is about the same as the width of the Mobius mount so it's pretty small. It does good in the daytime and beats Mobius hands-down at night. The WR-1 is 'app' controlled via wifi only which may be a drawback. No cam is as user-adjystable and as versatile as Mobius and it still does darn good in the daytime, but there are better dashcams now.

Phil

So this is still the best?

Isn't any more expensive camera better for grabbing plates?
Anything with higher fps?
Does anything have 60+fps?

I'm amazed möbius is still at the top for cameras years on

I'm amazed möbius is still at the top for cameras years on

I don't see it as being at the top, it sits in a niche that may suit your needs so perhaps it's the top for your needs right now, their own successor, the Mobius 2 has turned out to be a lemon, the Joovuu X has much better video and a similar form factor although some people have reported some stability issues, the very near to release Viofo F1 is also a similar form factor and looks very promising, video results should outdo all of these, if the reliability is there from the start then it could be the one to take the crown in this form factor segment, time will tell I guess

Viofo F1 Looks really good! When is that expected to be available?

Why are you asking if the Mobius is "still" the best dashcam? It never was, to begin with!

Mobius is toyota corolla of dashcams, it's not expensive nor fancy but it does it's job reliably day after day, take care of cooling and it works for years without problems.
And remember, price is a lot under 100$

Mobius is toyota corolla of dashcams, it's not expensive nor fancy but it does it's job reliably day after day, take care of cooling and it works for years without problems.
And remember, price is a lot under 100$
I can say the same about my AT11DA. Does this mean it's the best dashcam out there? :whistle:

I can say the same about my AT11DA. Does this mean it's the best dashcam out there? :whistle:
No.
But try to ask 10 people here what is mobius, most lightly 10/10 knows.
Then again ask what is AT11DA... (never heard personally)

No.
But try to ask 10 people here what is mobius, most lightly 10/10 knows.
Then again ask what is AT11DA... (never heard personally)
Just because they (probably) don't know what an AT11DA is, it doesn't mean it's not a good, inexpensive and reliable camera. ;)

The question of whether the Mobius is the "best" dash cam doesn't quite hit the mark and kind of misses the true essence of what the Mobius is all about. What it is in reality is the "only".

The Mobius is a seminal, highly influential product that pioneered and established the category of action/dash cams we now know as "matchbox" style cameras.

As such, it is the "only" dash camera on the market that allows the user to use a battery OR a super-capacitor and switch between them at will. And it is the "only" dash camera that provides the user with an inexpensive easy to replace plug-and-play battery.

The Mobius is the "only" dash camera that offers a choice of lens focal lengths via easy to install and replace modules. The Mobius is the "only" camera to offer lenses that are designed so that the user can easily refocus and lock the lens in place. This unique feature even allows for macro work. And Mobius has gone to great lengths to supply lenses of the finest optical quality and in fact, even after four years on the market Mobius has recently introduced new lens options that feature enhanced optical correction, greater flatness of field, greater flare control and overall improved performance.

It is the "only" camera that provides the user with such a vast level of advanced controls over exposure, contrast, saturation, color correction, sharpness, bit rate, FOV, frame rate, resolution, video file type, multiple image mode selections on the fly and more.

Mobius is the "only" camera manufacturer that supplies a wide range of spare parts for replacement and customization.

And the Mobius 1 is also the smallest (dash) camera of its type on the market.

As someone who has been involved with dash cams for over 7 years now and has had personal experience with dozens of them, many in all kinds of extreme long term conditions I can categorically state that the Mobius is hands down the most reliable, durable and versatile camera on the market, PERIOD!

The Mobius was introduced over four years ago and even now, for daytime performance it will match and often exceed the daytime video performance of virtually any camera on the market that records in 1080p/30.

Perhaps it comes down to one's personal definition of the word "Best"?

Although widely imitated, some with newer, more advanced imaging technology and other features, there is to date, literally NOTHING on the market quite like the original Mobius 1 camera. It is unfortunate that the Mobius 2 turned out to be such an abject failure but hopefully its very gifted developer will bounce back with a newer model that will carry forward the heritage of the original; a true "classic" in its own right .

Last edited:
September 29th at Banggood. Can be pre-ordered at a discount.

Camera is much larger than a Mobius and as of now, no super-capacitor option.

Hi Dashmellow, the 2 things you mentioned are fairly large "No have" items just for a start.

Hi Dashmellow, the 2 things you mentioned are fairly large "No have" items just for a start.

That's true. I'm hoping @gitup comes up with a way to offer a plug and play super-capacitor option as a battery replacement. The camera is indeed pretty large compared to a Mobius but it is the same form factor. I think the F1 is a really cool camera with a lot of potential. I almost ordered one yesterday when it was selling with the now ended pre-order discount on Banggood but decided to wait until reports come in about how well it performs and whether the A12 processor presents a heat issue.

That's true. I'm hoping @gitup comes up with a way to offer a plug and play super-capacitor option as a battery replacement. The camera is indeed pretty large compared to a Mobius but it is the same form factor. I think the F1 is a really cool camera with a lot of potential. I almost ordered one yesterday when it was selling with the now ended pre-order discount on Banggood but decided to wait until reports come in about how well it performs and whether the A12 processor presents a heat issue.

I understand completely.
I was at Amazon yesterday and took a look at the Viofo A119 basically to see what people have said about it (yes, I know how people can be their). but a lot of people just tore it up saying problems I never heard about. On the other hand the guys here seem to like this camera a lot, what gives with this camera?

Back