Is mobius still the best dashcam?

...Camera is much larger than a Mobius and as of now, no super-capacitor option.
Are you sure you have the dimensions right?
Maybe you are comparing with the mini version of the Mobius...

I understand completely.
I was at Amazon yesterday and took a look at the Viofo A119 basically to see what people have said about it (yes, I know how people can be their). but a lot of people just tore it up saying problems I never heard about. On the other hand the guys here seem to like this camera a lot, what gives with this camera?
I suspect there may be a few reviews from competitors! Amazon tried to tidy up their useless review system but it doesn't seem much improved.

Yes, I'm sure.

The dimensions of the original Mobius 1 camera are 60mm x 33mm x 17mm.

The dimensions of the Gitup F1 are 82mm x 41.5mm x 23mm.

The F1 measures at least 27% larger in each dimension.

Last edited:
I understand completely.
I was at Amazon yesterday and took a look at the Viofo A119 basically to see what people have said about it (yes, I know how people can be their). but a lot of people just tore it up saying problems I never heard about. On the other hand the guys here seem to like this camera a lot, what gives with this camera?

Amazon reviews should always be taken with a large grain of salt.

BTW, the F1 is not only larger than a Mobius (A lens) but significantly heavier as well, weighing in at 68 grams for the F1 vs 52 grams for the Mobius. (and several grams less with a super-cap installed). The F1 is approximately 23% heavier than a battery operated Mobius. Of course, weight is more of a factor to RC enthusiasts but something others may need to consider as well according to how they intend to use the camera.

Last edited:
Amazon reviews should always be taken with a large grain of salt.
Actually I don't agree! Amazon reviews should be taken with a BIG box of salt, but I definitely get the point:cool:. It's like just by reading some of the reviews their, some of the people don't seem capable of taking things out of the box, must less setting them up and reviewing. I've always given fair reviews of the things I've purchased at Amazon, but when you see someone reviewing something that has to be a long lasting type review and he's had it for a week, just makes me laugh!:D

Yes, I'm sure.

The dimensions of the original Mobius 1 camera are 60mm x 33mm x 17mm.

The dimensions of the Gitup F1 are 82mm x 41.5mm x 23mm.

The F1 measures at least 27% larger in each dimension.
That is a smaller Mobius than in most specs!
How big is a current Mobius with the C2 lens? Don't seem to be able to find dimensions for that...

The F1 seems to have grown since I last looked.

As to weight, the F1 does have a significantly bigger battery which you don't need if using it for FPV on an aircraft that can supply power.

That is a smaller Mobius than in most specs!
How big is a current Mobius with the C2 lens? Don't seem to be able to find dimensions for that...

The F1 seems to have grown since I last looked.

As to weight, the F1 does have a significantly bigger battery which you don't need if using it for FPV on an aircraft that can supply power.

I personally measured a Mobius A camera just before posting the specs, Nigel.
A Mobius with a C2 lens installed measures 66mm in length and weighs 56 grams vs 52 grams for the same camera with the A lens installed.

"The F1 seems to have grown", How's that? I quoted the dimensions and weight listed on the Gitup web site.

F1 specs.png

So exactly how will the F1 save the (last) file if the camera should lose power during flight or in the event of a mishap? (a common occurrence)

Geez, was it necessary to open 2 threads about the same subject in 2 different sub-forums? All that it's left now is a thread called "Is mobius still the best action camera?" in the General Action Camera Discussion sub-forum! :confused:

Geez, was it necessary to open 2 threads about the same subject in 2 different sub-forums? All that it's left now is a thread called "Is mobius still the best action camera?" in the General Action Camera Discussion sub-forum! :confused:

I agree, there was no need to cross post two different identical threads. The first one was posted in "New Dash Cam Announcements" of all places and @DashCamMan moved it to the General Action Cam thread. I've asked him to merge these two threads but I don't think he received my message as yet. I'm guessing he will agree with the suggestion.

I've noticed that multiple cross threads are becoming more common here on DCT. Maybe there should be a "rule" against it or at least some kind of notification that cross posting is generally frowned upon on internet forums. Some people seem to have a fear that their posts won't get seen by enough people.

Last edited:
I personally measured a Mobius A camera just before posting the specs, Nigel.
A Mobius with a C2 lens installed measures 66mm in length and weighs 56 grams vs 52 grams for the same camera with the A lens installed.
Maybe USA mm are different to other peoples mm like their gallons are different to ours?

Most specifications seem to agree, and I've now found one for the Mobius with C2 lens:
Szerokość (mm) 35
Wysokość (mm) 18
Grubość (mm) 69
https://www.wideorejestratory24.pl/kamera-sportowa-mobius-actioncam-lens-c2

as a percentage maybe it seems the F1 is way bigger, they're both very small cameras though and the differences are quite minimal when you see them side by side

Maybe USA mm are different to other peoples mm like their gallons are different to ours?

Most specifications seem to agree, and I've now found one for the Mobius with C2 lens:
Szerokość (mm) 35
Wysokość (mm) 18
Grubość (mm) 69
https://www.wideorejestratory24.pl/kamera-sportowa-mobius-actioncam-lens-c2

I'm not sure what your priggish beef is all about here Nigel, but I will trust my hands-on measurements of the actual camera rather than some foreign language web site you drag in from the internet. The 35 mm width you quote is clearly with the camera installed in the slide-in cradle, although the depth at 18mm is incorrect if you include the cradle. With the Mobius installed in it's cradle it measures 21 mm (vs 23mm for the F1 without its cradle). The length on your link at 69mm with the C2 lens installed seems way off vs the 66 mm I actually measured but I suppose it could have been a factor of whether the lens was screwed in far enough to achieve proper focus.

You know, my measurement of the depth is 17mm and you argue that it is 18mm and I measure the Mobius camera with the C2 lens at 66mm in length yet you are making a fuss that it is 69mm, ignoring the fact that the lens is designed to be screwed in and out for variable focusing. These differences are trivial BS! The F1 is listed by the manufacturer as measuring 82mm x 41.5mm x 23mm, so what is your problem here? What is your point? I have stated that the Gitup F1 is a significantly larger and heavier camera than the Mobius, yet you insist on engaging in this needless tautology despite the facts, even your own "facts". I can't help but notice that lately you go out of your way to repeatedly challenge so many of my posts here on DCT with these tedious, irrelevant, seemingly gratuitous arguments. It's time for you to put a stop to this petty behavior.

as a percentage maybe it seems the F1 is way bigger, they're both very small cameras though and the differences are quite minimal when you see them side by side

How can a camera that is camera that is 82mm long vs a camera that is 60mm long with the other measurements bigger as well be "quite minimal"? I know that when I carry a Mobius in my pocket I esentially ignore it but the F1 would not be usable in the same way because of its size.

How can a camera that is camera that is 82mm long vs a camera that is 60mm long with the other measurements bigger as well be "quite minimal"? I know that when I carry a Mobius in my pocket I esentially ignore it but the F1 would not be usable in the same way because of its size.

the OP wants to use something as a dashcam, how it feels in his pocket isn't something I'd worry about for his usage, they would both look equally small suitably mounted in the window of a vehicle

I notice a lot of people over the years get really enthused about how small the mobius is, then go and hang it off some big suction cup that's four times the size of the camera :p

Actually I don't agree! Amazon reviews should be taken with a BIG box of salt, but I definitely get the point:cool:. It's like just by reading some of the reviews their, some of the people don't seem capable of taking things out of the box, must less setting them up and reviewing. I've always given fair reviews of the things I've purchased at Amazon, but when you see someone reviewing something that has to be a long lasting type review and he's had it for a week, just makes me laugh!:D
Well said @Lola

the OP wants to use something as a dashcam, how it feels in his pocket isn't something I'd worry about for his usage, they would both look equally small suitably mounted in the window of a vehicle

I notice a lot of people over the years get really enthused about how small the mobius is, then go and hang it off some big suction cup that's four times the size of the camera :p

I really like the F1, it's a fascinating camera. I almost ordered one yesterday. The fact is that it is more than 25% larger than a Mobius. Many Mobius owners, especially me use the camera in all kinds of unique ways, including as dash cams. In my case, as you know, I have three in my vehicle as side cams and a rear cam. In each instance the F1 would be far less discreet and it might also be a challenge to install them as side cams because of the extra length. For many of the ways I use the Mobius the smallness is one of its primary attributes. Twenty five percent larger, even for a small camera, or perhaps especially as a small camera is significant. 82mm in length for the F1 is only 12mm shorter than my experimental Mobius with the varifocal CCTV lens installed at 100mm.

Last edited:
I opened this discussion in the wrong area, and made another in a better place hoping the mods would delete the other.

So choosing a camera now just to grab number plates, at night and day. Which camera would you guys recommend? I'm not bothered about the price as I will keep it for years.

Back