Is mobius still the best dashcam?

I really like the F1, it's a fascinating camera. I almost ordered one yesterday. The fact is that it is more than 25% larger than a Mobius. Many Mobius owners, especially me use the camera in all kinds of unique ways, including as dash cams. In my case, as you know, I have three in my vehicle as side cams and a rear cam. In each instance the F1 would be far less discreet and it might also be a challenge to install them as side cams because of the extra length. For many of the ways I use the Mobius the smallness is one of its primary attributes. Twenty five percent larger, even for a small camera, or perhaps especially as a small camera is significant. 82mm in length for the F1 is only 12mm shorter than my experimental Mobius with the varifocal CCTV lens installed at 100mm.
Considering that they have included wifi, bluetooth, a small display and a larger capacity battery, it's not surprising that it's a bit larger than a Mobius. I understand that feature list may not suit everyone's needs, but it probably appeals to a wider audience when competing for attention against other action cameras.

Considering that they have included wifi, bluetooth, a small display and a larger capacity battery, it's not surprising that it's a bit larger than a Mobius. I understand that feature list may not suit everyone's needs, but it probably appeals to a wider audience when competing for attention against other action cameras.

I pointed out to the OP that there is no super-capacitor and that it is bigger than a Mobius since he wants a dash cam and because he titled the thread "Is mobius still the best dashcam?". I guess the lack of a super-cap for the time being would probably be the major drawback in terms of a dash cam. Personally, I'm basically OK with the size but it will be a different experience than owning a Mobius and that may or may not make the camera as usable in certain situations because of it. Aside from all the reasons you mention about why the F1 is bigger I think another factor is probably the A12 processor which I'm sure requires a good sized heat sink and plenty of ventilation.

I really like this camera, especially the Mobius-like form factor, of course, regardless of size. I'm especially intrigued by the notion of a 90º lens option. As I mentioned elsewhere I almost ordered an F1 yesterday during Bangood's pre-order period but like you I decided to wait to see reports about how the camera performs before I take the plunge. The heat issue with the A12 processor is of particular concern and I'd be interested to know how @gitup has dealt with it. The guys at Gitup have done a terrific job with the Git 1, 2 and 3, so I'm more interested in this A12 offering than I have been with other cams.

Last edited:
I opened this discussion in the wrong area, and made another in a better place hoping the mods would delete the other.
That's not how it works in this forum. If you mistakenly open a thread in the wrong place you just reply to your own thread tagging DashCamMan (if you don't know what tagging is, it's simply putting the @ right before the nickname - no spaces - of the member you want to tag), it'll send a notification to him and as soon as he can he'll move the thread to the right place. :)

There are no moderators here on DCT, just DashCamMan who is the administrator. He probably doesn't hang around here all day or search the whole forum to see if there are out-of-place threads, that's why we need to call his attention by tagging him whenever it's needed. (y)

Last edited:
I pointed out to the OP that there is no super-capacitor and that it is bigger than a Mobius since he wants a dash cam and because he titled the thread "Is mobius still the best dashcam?". I guess the lack of a super-cap for the time being would probably be the major drawback in terms of a dash cam. Personally, I'm basically OK with the size but it will be a different experience than owning a Mobius and that may or may not make the camera as usable in certain situations because of it. Aside from all the reasons you mention about why the F1 is bigger I think another factor is probably the A12 processor which I'm sure requires a good sized heat sink and plenty of ventilation.

I really like this camera, especially the Mobius-like form factor, of course, regardless of size. I'm especially intrigued by the notion of a 90º lens option. As I mentioned elsewhere I almost ordered an F1 yesterday during Bangood's pre-order period but like you I decided to wait to see reports about how the camera performs before I take the plunge. The heat issue with the A12 processor is of particular concern and I'd be interested to know how @gitup has dealt with it. The guys at Gitup have done a terrific job with the Git 1, 2 and 3, so I'm more interested in this A12 offering than I have been with other cams.

I've liked the things you had to say about the F1, but personally I would want a S-Capacitor, that's a must for me. It even strikes me odd that the engineers didn't include a S-Capacitor in their design seeing as how they have really caught on with people in a relative short period of time. Other then that, after seeing so many new cameras go by he way side, I'll wait till I can get some views of the F1's quality of output before thinking about a purchase. Maybe by then they will have a S-capacitor in it also, they might consider adding a S-Capacitor as a holdout for the "F2 model", that's how some of the companies view marketing!

I've liked the things you had to say about the F1, but personally I would want a S-Capacitor, that's a must for me. It even strikes me odd that the engineers didn't include a S-Capacitor in their design seeing as how they have really caught on with people in a relative short period of time.
You have to understand that the F1 is primarily an action cam and action cams must have batteries. I don't know about the Git 1 and 2 but the SJCAM's can work as dashcams without the battery, only with external power, so there's no need for capacitors.

I just wish action-cam makers would make a user-swappable super-cap pack to fit into the usual large battery space. There seems to be enough space for that and it is certainly possible since Mobius does that ;) If I had deep enough pockets to handle the legal expenses it wound certainly bring. I would make and sell them myself :whistle:

Phil

I just wish action-cam makers would make a user-swappable super-cap pack to fit into the usual large battery space. There seems to be enough space for that and it is certainly possible since Mobius does that ;) If I had deep enough pockets to handle the legal expenses it wound certainly bring. I would make and sell them myself :whistle:

Phil

That's exactly what I've been hoping to see with the F1 although it's still not apparent exactly what kind of battery is installed in the camera or what is involved in replacing it.

Phil
I think the reason why they don't do it it's because action cameras are supposed to be operated with their own power and you know that's not possible with capacitors. A capacitor pack is something action camera users would not be interested in buying and if eventually anyone uses an action cam as a dashcam, chances are it won't even need the battery to work as one.

That's exactly what I've been hoping to see with the F1 although it's still not apparent exactly what kind of battery is installed in the camera or what is involved in replacing it.
I don't know if you've already seen the pictures and believing that's how the end product will look like, the F1 has a sliding lid at the bottom, so it probably has a normal replaceable battery, like most action cams.

I don't know if you've already seen the pictures and believing that's how the end product will look like, the F1 has a sliding lid at the bottom, so it probably has a normal replaceable battery, like most action cams.

I wasn't aware the F1 had a battery compartment with a lid but I was hoping it would. It would be great if it could have a battery shaped super-capacitor module that could just pop in instead of the battery like @SawMaster mentioned.

Super-capacitors are not just for dash cams. With the Mobius for example, a super-capacitor allows RC enthusiasts to lower the weight of the camera while running it off the craft's battery.

Super-capacitors are not just for dash cams. With the Mobius for example, a super-capacitor allows RC enthusiasts to lower the weight of the camera while running it off the craft's battery.
I know, but usually when people talk about action cams and capacitors they have dashcam usage and heat on their minds.

Of course, weight is more of a factor to RC enthusiasts but something others may need to consider as well according to how they intend to use the camera.
I notice a lot of people over the years get really enthused about how small the mobius is, then go and hang it off some big suction cup that's four times the size of the camera :p

I think the weight of a camera has a significant impact on how it functions - especially after being dropped a number of times:oops:. my mobius has slipped from my fingers on a couple of occasions whilst exiting my bus. I'd estimate a 7 or even 8foot drop (the 8foot drop includes bouncing off dash & step). But hanging a heavy cam from a flimsy suction cup always seems to (not) work out - hence the need for the larger suction cups. I've noticed a few clips on YT where the cam is obviously not well secured, the weight of the cam responding to vibrations & even moreso to bumps and potholes.
As a temporary measure, I've had my mobius mounted at the side of my windscreen as well as above it on a simple lump of blu-tac - with no or very little noticeable effect on performance. I doubt many other cams would be so accommodating. As it is, all my mobius cams are mounted on the cheap as chips helmet mounts, using just the mount for the cradle and the adjustable section.

So choosing a camera now just to grab number plates, at night and day. Which camera would you guys recommend? I'm not bothered about the price as I will keep it for years.

I've often thought that. As some on here will know, I had problems with a (not unexpensive) cam - came recommended by Techmoan but, as many of us discovered, what the company sold us was poles apart from the one they sent him. Cost £100 & was faulty from the off, dodgy mic & colour flares, even had a few discussions on here with the manufacturer. Ended up binning it after less than 8 months usage.
Mobius, on the other hand, is in my bus 9 - 10 hours per day, 5 days a week (and even the odd weekend trip) & still performing well after 4 years (seems like longer!). So it's more than paid for itself even if I replace it now. Having a decent low light mode doesn't really bother me - although should something cheap come along that provided superb low light pictures then I'd be tempted to buy it as a secondary cam

I know jokiin posted some time ago about a mobius 3 possibly being in development, has there been any more news ? I know the M2 didnt fair so well, but if they could have M1 reliability with a newer sensor/processor they'd be on to a winner I think.

I know jokiin posted some time ago about a mobius 3 possibly being in development, has there been any more news ? I know the M2 didnt fair so well, but if they could have M1 reliability with a newer sensor/processor they'd be on to a winner I think.
Form factor was different, I wouldn't think of it as being a Mobius 3 as such

I would like to see a ultra small cylinder camera, but i cant say what should power it, cuz batteries like CR123A or 18350 batteries do not hold many mah, or at least what i would consider enough.
But a camera the size of a 26650 battery would be cool ( that's 26 mm diameter and 65 mm long ) i would be okay if it was square too so 26 x 26 x 65 mm would be fine too.

I would like to see a ultra small cylinder camera, but i cant say what should power it, cuz batteries like CR123A or 18350 batteries do not hold many mah, or at least what i would consider enough.
But a camera the size of a 26650 battery would be cool ( that's 26 mm diameter and 65 mm long ) i would be okay if it was square too so 26 x 26 x 65 mm would be fine too.
Not sure about square, maybe since it is a video camera it should be 16:9?

But that would make it Gitup F1 shape!

Back