Is my A119S dead?

Finger

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I bought two A119S off ebay. One has been working perfectly for the last 9mths. The other was replaced after 6mths due to focus issues when it heated up.

The replacement was working great for a couple of weeks until it just stopped. When I powered it on it was just stuck on the viofo logo. I tried powering it on several times but would stay on viofo logo.

I thought I'll flash it with latest firmware V2. 4 as it came with V1. 7 just to see if that would fix it. Now it's in a constant loop cycle and never gets past the viofo logo.

I tried flashing other variants of the firmware but all return the same fault.

I think it could be dead.

Here is what happens when I boot it up now

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uso3y44fjvg8ff/A119s rebooting .mp4?dl=0

Any suggestions welcomed.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Not in that video but I have tried with 3 different memory cards, and does exactly the same thing.

I've tried the reset button. I even tried bchobbyist method for refashion firmware but no luck.

One of the memory cards that I tried was from our other vehicle which also runs the A119S

try reflashing the bootloader thn loading the firmware, you might get lucky, details are on the Viofo forum

I have seen this when the image sensor ribbon cable becomes loose or slipped out of it's connector on the main board. I'd open it up and make sure the ribbon cable is fully seated in the connector.

Thanks I'll give those two suggestions a try

Looks like it's dead.

Reseated cable, checked all other components, appears fine.

Reloaded the the loader from the V1. 0 archive then tried the firmware straight after but no luck. Continues to do the same thing.

I'll see if viofo or the ebay seller will replace. If not might have to cut my loses and just grab a b1w. Not sure if it's worth getting another.

Just wanted to update that viofo is going to replace the unit once again.

I cannot fault their fantastic customer support in rectifying the situation.

A local A119S user had contacted me on YT after his unit was stuck on the VIOFO logo. Advised him to reinstall the latest firmware and reset to defaults but it didn't work. Reseating the ribbon cable didn't help either.

IMG_0646.png

He came by today and reinstalling the firmware, resetting the camera or reseating the sensor cable didn't resurrect the A119S.

Opened up the A119S from my car and swapped the ribbon cable.

Below's what happens on reloading the firmware post swapping the ribbon cable.

The way the screen fades on removing the power cable is similar to how the A119S behaved with the partial screen corruption and the XXXXX's bug. What stands out is the double start-up chime and then it just hangs.

This one IMO points to a fried eMMC chip.

The user has contacted VIOFO and the unit is going back to them for replacement as the Aliexpress seller stopped responding post the troubleshooting stage.

A local A119S user had contacted me on YT after his unit was stuck on the VIOFO logo. Advised him to reinstall the latest firmware and reset to defaults but it didn't work. Reseating the ribbon cable didn't help either.

View attachment 37398

He came by today and reinstalling the firmware, resetting the camera or reseating the sensor cable didn't resurrect the A119S.

Opened up the A119S from my car and swapped the ribbon cable.

Below's what happens on reloading the firmware post swapping the ribbon cable.

The way the screen fades on removing the power cable is similar to how the A119S behaved with the partial screen corruption and the XXXXX's bug. What stands out is the double start-up chime and then it just hangs.

The user has contacted VIOFO and the unit is going back to them for replacement as the Aliexpress seller stopped responding post the troubleshooting stage.
Did you ever try powering it up without a memory card inserted?

The matrix is defective.
I came across such a problem, support for Viofo at altitude, I advise you to contact a representative on the forum.

Last edited:
Yes. Also tried resetting it with and without the card inside, didn't go beyond the VIOFO logo.
I’m sure you already know this, but thought I’d mention it just in case. The ribbon cable is labeled as to which end needs to be attached at the sensor and main board. Your sure you had the orientation correct?

I’m sure you already know this, but thought I’d mention it just in case. The ribbon cable is labeled as to which end needs to be attached at the sensor and main board. Your sure you had the orientation correct?

Yes, one side says Sensor and the other Main, was plugged in correctly.

Rare to see that a A119 or A119S unit actually died, i.e., was not repairable in the field. Would be nice to see the autopsy results shared here.

Back