Is my A129 Defective?

Dashcamuser567

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have had the A129 for a couple days now and I have it hardwired and connected directly into the camera (not GPS). I noticed two things:

1. When I press the wifi button to turn on wifi and connect to the camera, no videos show up. It says its empty. But yet when I take the sd card and connect to my pc the videos all show up. The only way I can get videos to show up via the app is by reconnecting to the app. But recently I noticed that when I try to reconnect to the live view of the camera stays black. Then when I try to disable and reenable the wifi via the button, I notice the camera is frozen! So then I disconnect the camera and have to wait until the capacitor drains out to then reconnect the camera (since the whole camera is frozen it doesn't normally turn off). The app is very unreliable. I have tried reinstalling the app and also the firmware is the latest v1.5. The app and downloading videos worked well in the first couple days I had the camera, but lately its just very unreliable. I have ios 12.1.2 and I have tried enabling airplane mode with wifi on as well with no success.

2. The auto event detection essentially records 24/7. This isn't really a bad thing but I thought it was motion activated and it seems to record everything even when theres is literally nothing moving, BUT once there is motion like a car passing is only gets the part where it passes my car but not driving up the street beforehand. An example of this was this yesterday morning. My neighbor got into the car and backed out the driveway; one video had nothing moving and nobody in it, while the next video had the car halfway out the driveway on the road turning to start driving away! There was nothing in between like them getting in or initially backing up. This is kind of a weird issue but I have since turned low bitrate recording on to see if that solves it since maybe the motion detection is flawed. But I hope its software not hardware. It seems the cam records everything even with no motion, but once there is motion its like it cuts off part of the event.

3. Randomly every couple hours the camera will record a 1 second still "image" even though its in mp4 format. I have attached the screenshots below. They look like videos but when you watch them, it's like 1 second long with a still image of the road. Maybe it's a thumbnail? not sure. They look like full size videos but it's just a 1 second image.

Issue number 1 is my main concern while issue number 2 is (at least I am hoping) a software issue that viofo can fix. I will test it with low bitrate recording and see if it still persists. I have raised a ticket with viofo about the app and I'll see what they say. I may open another one to let them know about the motion recording.

Do these issues seems like a hardware defect? Or I'm I just overthinking? I purchased this from Amazon via Spytec

My setup: Viofo 3 wire hardware kit, 128gb samsung pro endurance card, A129 Duo v1.5

Attachments

• Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    415.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    415.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    422.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    501 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    415.2 KB · Views: 21
Not sure about all your problems but I am aware that the latest iOS app has an ongoing issue with Live View. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next version. It worked fine in the previous version so if you can roll back to that or find an APK file for it that should sort it for now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the cam works correctly without using the app, then it's an app problem. Also check your cam settings, as it might be in 'motion detect' constantly- there is a short delay between when it senses motion before it records. There's also a short delay when it switches to and from normal recording and parking modes.

Phil

Not sure about all your problems but I am aware that the latest iOS app has an ongoing issue with Live View. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next version. It worked fine in the previous version so if you can roll back to that or find an APK file for it that should sort it for now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your response. Thats good to hear that im not the only one with this issue. Unfortunately im not jailbroken on iPhone anymore so i wont be able to downgrade the app version. I hope they can release a fix soon

If the cam works correctly without using the app, then it's an app problem. Also check your cam settings, as it might be in 'motion detect' constantly- there is a short delay between when it senses motion before it records. There's also a short delay when it switches to and from normal recording and parking modes.

Phil

I have the motion recording option turned off but under parking mode I have the auto event detection on. So you think the app is causing the cam to freeze when connected to wifi? Id rather have that be the issue than the cam itself!

Back