Is my cam normal? Please see video

diamente

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought this rearview dash came for $16 with shipping included from ebay.

MPN: LMXK181523VK4KV5479

Unbranded. ebay

The video quality is terrible. I couldn't even get the license plate number. Please see the video. youtube

Unfortunately, I didn't know about this site prior to buying this junk. At 1 min 20 sec, this black Porsche SUV parked in the traffic. I couldn't get his plate number. I was on the phone with 911 because this guy stood outside the car, with a female passenger holding a kid by throat inside SUV. Nothing happened after that. I turned around to check on them and they were gone.

I got this 32gb card. Is this a good one? ebay

this camera records in AVI and with 32 gb I could only record about 45 Minutes of driving in 1080p. As you can see, the quality is no where near 1080p. Is this normal that a 32gb takes only 45 minutes of 1080P video? Google told me it takes at least 10 hours to fill up 1080p videos on 32gb.

IMHO, super good product in this price.

Is this normal that a 32gb takes only 45 minutes of 1080P video? Google told me it takes at least 10 hours to fill up 1080p videos on 32gb.

Google is correct, 10 hours for TV quality video recorded in H264 format, but a good dashcam will record more detail and get about 4 hours on 32GB.

Yours is using AVI format, a technology from last century, time for an upgrade!

See: https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2018/

with the .AVI format you won't get 4 hours- it doesn't compress as well as others do. But you should get more than 45 minutes with it. Still, for the price of the card and cam both, you've done well if it keeps working 6 months or more.

Phil

Test card for integrity, it might be a fake and so just a 4 or 8 Gb card pretending to be 32 Gb ( we see this a lot with cheap copies of brands like samsung )
Look like you have been going very cheap with the dashcam, thats not a good idea.

I expect you have a dodgy card, but yes your cam is normal, that is the level of quality expected for a cam that costs so little

Thanks for your reply. I will test out the 32gb memory card and I am looking to buy another dash cam. It does me no good when I can't even capture the license plate numbers at all.

I am thinking about getting this great rating on amazon front and rear dash cam

Last edited:
Why don't you spend some time looking at whats available in recommended dash cams here on DCT instead of buying on a "Hope" and then coming to DCT to find out if you made a good choice. There is more time spent here on evaluating dash cameras then all those other sites put together, plus the people here are evaluating and working with dash cams because they like doing it. The others are in it for the money.

Put another way, if you happen to be involved in a collision, do you want to depend on a $16.00 dash cam in court?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I will test out the 32gb memory card and I am looking to buy another dash cam. It does me no good when I can't even capture the license plate numbers at all.

I am thinking about getting this great rating on amazon front and rear dash cam

you're going from a cheap rubbish camera to a more expensive rubbish camera, understand that you might have a limited budget but even at the prices you're now looking at you can still buy better, as @Lola mentioned, do some research here first before you spend any more money, you'll be better off if you do

Being far less than wealthy, I have an interest in cheap cams. But I also know that if it dies too young or doesn't deliver the video quality I need, then it's money wasted, and I really can't afford that. I once found a cap-powered $35 cam which was pretty good. I tried another at the $27 level and got one like yours. But I wasn't intending these to be my primary front cam which needs to be very good or better. They work OK on the sides where they're mounted now. Even a B1W which can be had for under $60 on sale is much better than these and if you're serious about your dashcam that's the least you need to budget for one. Put the cheap cam in the rear where you rarely need great video and get a good one for up front (along with a good SD card).

You don't get what you don't pay for with anything, dashcams included.

Phil

Try unplugging the rear camera. You may find the front cam gives a higher resolution with it missing.

Everyone talks about the front camera and I can see why because this is where the most serious accidents occur, but do NOT disconnect your rear camera! I have had nearly triple the accidents from the rear versus the front!

@diamente Before I forget, take the ratings you see on Amazon with a grain of salt, so to speak, that's usually about all they are worth. Why there is so much lying I don't know, but a lot of people also give reports on things the day it comes to them in the mail! Now ask yourself how someone knows he has a great camera/whatever when he takes it out of the box and is looking at it! That's just one reason there are LOTS.
A lot of the reviews here (DCT), and open forum questions are discusssed by the actual owners of a lot of different cams and you get a good feeling of what is going on with the different cameras available and the ability to ask your own questions. Take advantage of this service, you will never be sorry:):cool:.

Last edited:
I suggested detaching the rear cam only to see if the same lower resolution recording happens with your cams.

I have a cheap mirror cam. When the rear cam is attached and running the front cam records at 720p and the rear cam records at 480p. When the rear cam is detached the front cam records at 1080p. I run both front and rear cams despite the front cam recording at a lower 720p resolution when both cams are operating. You never know when something might happen behind.you. 2 cams are better than 1. Four cams are better than two. The more you record the likelier you are to capture an event.

I can't understand how that is possible unless you have a faulty power supply.

I can't understand how that is possible unless you have a faulty power supply.

hardware limitation, a lot of entry level solutions drop the recording quality on the front cam if running a second camera, even some higher end solutions do the same but their lower resolution is still a higher standard, not uncommon at all

Update:

I have never connected my back camera. The quality is already bad. I can't imagine having a worse quality than what I had.

I tested my memory card with h2testw. It is a full 32gig. The seller looks reputable. ebay link to the card

Thanks for comments on Amazon reviews. I saw a few cameras with near perfect ratings but didn't know they are bad cameras.

Update:

I have never connected my back camera. The quality is already bad. I can't imagine having a worse quality than what I had.

I tested my memory card with h2testw. It is a full 32gig. The seller looks reputable. ebay link to the card

Thanks for comments on Amazon reviews. I saw a few cameras with near perfect ratings but didn't know they are bad cameras.

How did you get this card when it shows they don't ship to the US?

Back