Is my new F770 faulty?

S15LVO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I got myF770 on wed and fitted it that evening, all was working fine with the supplied 32gb sd card from thinkware.

This morning it was all working but come lunch time I return to the car and noticed it was not giving me any voice prompts to say what parking evens it had or that it was starting continuous recording.

I connected it to my iphone and I can see that it was recording files ok but there was absolutely no sound coming form the unit at all.

I checked all settings including volume (set to max) and also performed a sd card format but still no sound.

I then hit the reset button and then resolved the issue and the start up tune came on and it said it was starting recording.

Back to normal I thought, but then after that still have the same issue, no sound or prompts, despite it working as normal.

Has anyone else had this issue with the F770 or even the F750?

Thanks
Silvio

don't think there are too many F770's out there just yet, maybe best to talk to the seller in case you got a random bad one, it happens with any brand, better to do it sooner rather than later

Hi Silvio,

I am in the UK and have a F770 on order from Chameleon/ Thinkware, pre-ordered 27 May 16, but have yet to receive it.
Chameleon confirmed they had only arrived late on Tuesday 28th June. My order was to be dispatched Wed for delivery by DPD Thursday or Friday. Been trying to obtain a tracking numeber from Chameleon.
When it arrives I will put it on bench test for a few days and hopefully will be able to give you some feedback.

Last edited:
Update: I disconnected the power cord and held the power button for 10 secs (to drain the residual power) and then plugged power back in.

so far its been working as expected with voice prompts all day, will keep an eye on it and provide updates.

fingers crossed

Glad to hear that it is working again. I hope this is the end of it.

Yes I hope so to, not a good start, lets hope its not a singe of things to come.

its easy to forget that when your using the hard wired kit, the unit never actually gets a rest from the constant power supply, even if you turn it off using the power button, its still powered.

This may be a future mod to put a switch on the earth cable as to quickly cut power, as unplugging and removing from the window is not a quick task.

Chameleon is where i work. This is the first time i have heard of this issue, i have had my F770 fitted for about 4 days now and haven't had any issues and we have sent out plenty of others too. Hopefully it was a little software glitch that won't repeat or gets corrected in a future firmware update. Please just keep an eye on the unit you obviously have your 12 month warranty with us and we're not a 'fly by night' company (been trading since 1989). Any more issues please get in touch.....

I just got a F770 and I am unable to connect to the camera using WiFi. The camera SSID doesn't show up in my scans most of the time and even when it finally says "connected" the application only spins and reports "unable to connect". I've tried 3 different android devices.

That doesn't sound too hopeful kmd1970. I haven't come across it with the F770 as yet but we did get the odd (and i mean odd) F750 do a similar thing. I would download the firmware from http://www.thinkware.com/Support/Download and try putting it on again, i did have this cure 1 F750 issue. Other than that as you have 3 handsets with the same issue it sounds like it may be a faulty unit. If any of the Androids are running V6 Marshmallow it may be worth checking your Settings - Apps - Dashcam Viewer - Permissions and make sure the app is allowed to use phone storage. I don't think this is your issue but worth checking.

Yes I hope so to, not a good start, lets hope its not a singe of things to come.

its easy to forget that when your using the hard wired kit, the unit never actually gets a rest from the constant power supply, even if you turn it off using the power button, its still powered.

This may be a future mod to put a switch on the earth cable as to quickly cut power, as unplugging and removing from the window is not a quick task.

I'm 99% sure this is what the reset button does, just interrupts the power supply to the unit....

That doesn't sound too hopeful kmd1970. I haven't come across it with the F770 as yet but we did get the odd (and i mean odd) F750 do a similar thing. I would download the firmware from http://www.thinkware.com/Support/Download and try putting it on again, i did have this cure 1 F750 issue. Other than that as you have 3 handsets with the same issue it sounds like it may be a faulty unit. If any of the Androids are running V6 Marshmallow it may be worth checking your Settings - Apps - Dashcam Viewer - Permissions and make sure the app is allowed to use phone storage. I don't think this is your issue but worth checking.

Thanks for your input. I updated the firmware last night to the latest version. Also, I checked the viewer application and it has storage permission. I've cleared data and cache, uninstalled and reinstalled. Sometimes when I plug the F770 into power socket and it doesn't respond AT ALL. No beeps, no voice, no leds. I have to keep plugging/unplugging until it responds. Why no red POWER led indicator? :( I am lost and will wait for seller to respond to my email.

On another note, that right angle power connector is extremely hard to disconnect from inside the cable port. There is zero finger space. :oops: I will have to put a twist-tie on the end and use it as a puller.

The cable is a bit fiddly isn't it! Like you say a cable tie or some small pin nosed pliers will do the job. Hope your seller responds to you soon....

After some minor technical issues I have mine installed. Just wow!! Great night and day image and working software!! :eek::D

I appear to be having the same issue as S15LVO.

I fitted the front cam of my f770 today and on first power up the unit was talking to me etc.
Finally got into the app to look at settings (which struggles to find it on wifi) but I now have no sound whatsoever.
I've tried disconnecting it/reset button etc and looked into the firmware but nothing I do can get me the voice/any sound back from the unit. What do I do?

I found a trick to connecting faster to the F770 via Wifi.
  1. First, turn off the Wifi on your mobile device
  2. Then turn on the Wifi on the F770. Wait 5 seconds.
  3. Turn on the Wifi on the mobile device.
  4. Connected.

(This requires a previously successful connection to the F770) It also appears there is a slight delay before the F770 begins broadcasting a Wifi signal.

I found a trick to connecting faster to the F770 via Wifi.
  1. First, turn off the Wifi on your mobile device
  2. Then turn on the Wifi on the F770. Wait 5 seconds.
  3. Turn on the Wifi on the mobile device.
  4. Connected.

(This requires a previously successful connection to the F770) It also appears there is a slight delay before the F770 begins broadcasting a Wifi signal.

Thank for for that, I'll give that a try when I next connect to it.

Now I just need to know what is going on with the sound, faulty unit/connection?...Can't see that there are any settings other than volume.

I appear to be having the same issue as S15LVO.

I fitted the front cam of my f770 today and on first power up the unit was talking to me etc.
Finally got into the app to look at settings (which struggles to find it on wifi) but I now have no sound whatsoever.
I've tried disconnecting it/reset button etc and looked into the firmware but nothing I do can get me the voice/any sound back from the unit. What do I do?

Hold the power button down for a few seconds (There should be 2 beeps, then a single beep, then musical chimes - OFF)

Also, try removing the SD card and plugging in the power cable directly into the cigarette socket. I had to plug and unplug the power several times before my defective unit would power up and respond.

(also, remember the unit has capacitors and it may have a residual charge even when unplugged so wait a few minutes)

Sadly there is no power led indicator to tell you the unit is ON, only the GPS indicator and voice prompt.

Already tried the power button, made no sounds.

SD card in or out/no difference (on 1st power up it prompted to enter SD card when voice was working).

It's hard wired in via the fuse box, kit doesn't come with a plug for socket, just for straight hardwiring.

The F770 is very simple to use. On first power up there is a musical chime and voice prompt for "GPS connected" and "Starting recording" . On starting the car after being in parking mode you should get a voice prompt telling you how many motion detection's ("greater than 10.." :cool:) and incident detection's occurred.

Back