Is possible take 1s photo timelapse?

hko

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Hi,
was anybody success with 1s interval 16MPix photo timelapse?
Tried with FW 1.4 and 1.5 and best result is one picture every 2-3 seconds.
I guess, that problem si card writing speed.
Tried Samsung EVO+ 32 and 64GB cards (UHS-1) and 16GB Class 10 Sandisk, with almost same results.
All cards were formated in camera..
Just JPG, no RAW...
Setting was ISO auto, WB Daylight, Shutter auto, Low contrast and Colorful. But this probably do not affect speed. Same results were with default setting.

Maybe different card type should help..

It is 1 second delay after finishing one photo before starting the next.

If you have raw mode turned on then turning it off will make it much faster.
A faster card may help, but I doubt the camera can manage more than 20MB/s so no point using a 100MB/s card.

You could try 8MP resolution, it is all you need for a 4K monitor and should be 2x the speed...

You need to use video to go faster.

Hi Nigel,
thanks for answer.

I want to use full resolution, because some pixels are lost after fisheye correcting and also with higher resolution there are more possibilites for pan and zoom in final video, eventually for obtain sharper image with less noise after scale down.
Also 8MP is just with 16:9 aspect ratio. Why there isn't 8MPix 4:3?
Video timelapse should be at most in 1440p resolution unfortunately.

Accidentally i discovered this strange behavior:

- I have set Quick Capture: On in system setting. (firmware 1.5 final, same for 1.5 beta)
- Video mode is in 2K 1s videolapse.
- Photo mode is in 16MP JPG (no RAW)

When i start camera with shutter button it starts in photo mode and capturing images in some kind of burst mode. Just free space counting down and there is some three squares burst mode indicator on OSD.
In this mode is camera able save at least 2 full resolution JPGs in second. So result is, that speed of card is not limit for timelapse.

Question is why it starts in that mode and why it is not able to save pictures in that speed in timelapse mode.

It looks like there are bugs in firmware. Some bugs for Quick Capture - supposed that video mode should be started. And another bug for timelapse timer..

I don't use quick capture, but I think it gives you video mode with a quick press and photo mode with a long press, photo mode is supposed to be in bursts, so I think it is working correctly.

In burst mode it buffers the images and only writes then to the card when it has captured several, thus it can take them faster for a short time but not on average.

Thanks again, you are right quick press starts video, longer starts photo in burst mode. There was only basic seven pages manual in box, so i need to google for better one. I have camera just few days.
I tried take about 300 pictures in that burst mode and there was longer delay about every 40 pictures, but still at least one picture per second was written, so buffer should be big enough and hardware should fast be enough for processing one photo per second, write it to card and take antoher one. Also buffer is big enought to take 10 pictures sequence.
Probably something wrong with firmware in timelapse timing...
So let wait when/if it will be fixed.

In burst mode, it can not stop taking photo, so we can not use this directly for time-lapse mode.
We will try to remove photo quick review while taking photo, maybe it can take faster picture in time-lapse mode.

We will try to remove photo quick review
Thanks @gitup, it really looks like preview after every photo taken cause unwanted delay.

If you can disable preview for timelapse mode it could help a lot, it is not needed in this mode because display is off most of time.
Hope we will see some beta firmware with this feature soon.

Back