Is that the expected video quality?

Gil

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Thinkware F770 2-Ch
So first try with the f770 and I'm not sure about the video quality.
In this video:

See the power lines and the artifacts around them. Video compression seems too high. Is this normal?

Look at the Audi in front of my car, it's impossible to get the license plate.

better if you can upload a raw sample to a file host, YouTube compresses the video when they re-encode

Looks as expected for this model
For this model? I read that f770 has 11Mbps bitrate. This is about 8.
Can't see license plates is not something you'd expect on this sensor on FHD.

Shows close to 10mbit on that clip, that's pretty much the expected result for the bitrate they use

Shows close to 10mbit on that clip, that's pretty much the expected result for the bitrate they use
Rear cam shows as 7981kbps bitrate (excluding audio, as audio adds 765kbps).
So about 8Mbps for rear... makes sense as well?

The chipset is only stable to around 20mbit combined when used in 2 channel mode, even without that limitation when you want to do parking mode the heat generated at higher bitrate would become a big problem, particularly in our climate

The chipset is only stable to around 20mbit combined when used in 2 channel mode, even without that limitation when you want to do parking mode the heat generated at higher bitrate would become a big problem, particularly in our climate
So I guess I had higher expectations from this camera. I've done the research but I must say, I'm surprised by the poor video quality.
What is this worth if I can't see the license plate in the video I've uploaded?

Waste of money...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

If you want to improve the video quality it needs higher bitrate, if you had higher bitrate parking mode becomes a problem, it's a trade off unfortunately

If you want to improve the video quality it needs higher bitrate, if you had higher bitrate parking mode becomes a problem, it's a trade off unfortunately
Not necessarily in parking mode. Continuous mode more than that. I think that driving in air conditioned car, it shouldn't be a problem.

I wish it was possible to increase bitrate

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

The chipset can't support higher bitrate in 2 channel mode

Even if it could the extra heat generated would become a problem when parked, non issue as it can't do it anyway, just pointing out that resolving one shortcoming would create a new problem

would you still say the f770 is a great purchase? it's the most expensive dashcam I've seen in Australia.
For that price, I had different expectations I guess.
I have a $70 dashcam, here's the link: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/311674158175
it produces the same video quality!
This is insane!

What do you plan on doing with your F770 then? Just doesnt sound like there are any standout dual camera w/ parking mode kit out there :(

What do you plan on doing with your F770 then? Just doesnt sound like there are any standout dual camera w/ parking mode kit out there :(
Well, according to most reviews, the f770 is the standout dual dashcam. If this is the case, that is sad news.
On a hit and run cases, this camera won't help.

I spent $610 AUD on it, and almost purchased the CPL for it.

I have no other choice at the moment, but to stick with it. The Blackvue was the 2nd best but it lost because of the 720p on rear camera. Otherwise, Blackvue is the choice since it has better features than the f770.

Last edited:
Be good to get some input from other people on other suggestions or another opinion on the F770.

Yeah, the Blackvue one was a non-starter for me due to the rear camera only being 720p

would you still say the f770 is a great purchase?

I've never said it was a great purchase, for the features you wanted it's the better choice compared to what else is available, the market is not exactly spoilt for choice when it comes to this category

I've never said it was a great purchase, for the features you wanted it's the better choice compared to what else is available, the market is not exactly spoilt for choice when it comes to this category
I am waiting (semi-patiently) for Street Guardian dual cam and hopefully, fingers crossed, this will get parking mode at some point too.

I am waiting (semi-patiently) for Street Guardian dual cam and hopefully, fingers crossed, this will get parking mode at some point too.
Something we really need to assess and see what is workable, any parking mode function requires compromise, the reality is it's a very flawed function in many ways

Something we really need to assess and see what is workable, any parking mode function requires compromise, the reality is it's a very flawed function in many ways
What would you suggest as an alternative for people that want to record if anything happens to their parked car if they step away from it for a period of time?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kehray F770 4
T F770 7
P F770 8
7rank F770 9
Back