Is that the expected video quality?

What would you suggest as an alternative for people that want to record if anything happens to their parked car if they step away from it for a period of time?
The parking mode for f770 is good.
Usually in parking mode, you'll have a chance to get license plate since the hitting car has to stop and reverse or something.
Parking mode is 15fps to save on memory, so the downside is to hope for a frame that you can pause on and clearly see the license plate, but as mentioned, the hitting car has to stop (in most conditions) and reverse and then drive away. This gives you greater chance of getting license plate.

Time Lapse - according to the manual, if there is a hit, it will save the video few seconds before and few seconds after. The manual states minutes, but I'm sure it's a mistake. It's probably 3 seconds before the hit and 3 seconds after the hit. total 6 seconds video before and after impact. I'm not sure if this event video is 15fps or 30.

What would you suggest as an alternative for people that want to record if anything happens to their parked car if they step away from it for a period of time?

the Thinkware cameras are quite good for parking mode, just not great for driving mode due to the compromises, I've said it before but the ideal camera for parking mode and the ideal camera for driving are two different cameras, it's a real challenge to do both well I feel

Number plates is a hit and miss with any dashcam on the current market. The lighting conditions and how the camera adjusts to the scene makes a big difference.

When the conditions are right i can get number plates of opposite traffic at 100km/h (200km/h closure rate).

The quality on the F770 is above average at best compared to current crop of cams. I bought the F770 for dual channel parking mode, and not for pure image quality.

Last edited:
Number plates is a hit and miss with any dashcam on the current market. The lighting conditions and how the camera adjusts to the scene makes a big difference.

When the conditions are right i can get number plates of opposite traffic at 100km/h (200km/h closure rate).

The quality on the F770 is above average at best compared to current crop of cams. I bought the F770 for dual channel parking mode, and not for pure image quality.
What parking mode are you using?
Do you check the events every time you get a notification?

I'm using motion detection mode.

I only check it when theres parking shock sensor events. Its usually a false alarm from a loud car driving past.

I've got a two way car alarm that pages me if its been bumped anyway

As a recent new owner to the F770 club, I have been close to posting this very thread on a number of occasions. My footage just doesn't seem to compare to what I have seen when prepping to buy a dashcam. Nowhere near as happy with it as I thought I would be. Great camera but the in-motion footage is way below expectation for me.

I'll try to get some off the card this weekend and upload.

Reactions: Gil
As a recent new owner to the F770 club, I have been close to posting this very thread on a number of occasions. My footage just doesn't seem to compare to what I have seen when prepping to buy a dashcam. Nowhere near as happy with it as I thought I would be. Great camera but the in-motion footage is way below expectation for me.

I'll try to get some off the card this weekend and upload.
Join the disappointed group.
I don't know how it's considered to be one of the best dual dashcams on the market.
While video quality is surprisingly bad, the features of it are quite limited, or some operations simply doesn't make sense. Such as, wifi can only be enabled while ACC is on, sensitivity settings are not ranged well enough, partitioning options are limited, etc,.

I am very pleased with the footage and I get some very nice images!

I ran a Road Angel Halo for 2 weeks before hand and that was TERRIBLE.

Join the disappointed group.
I don't know how it's considered to be one of the best dual dashcams on the market.
While video quality is surprisingly bad, the features of it are quite limited, or some operations simply doesn't make sense. Such as, wifi can only be enabled while ACC is on, sensitivity settings are not ranged well enough, partitioning options are limited, etc,.

Long time lurker - first post!

This bums me out, I spent a month going back n forth between blackvue and the F770 and finally settled on the blackvue just because of the live viewing during parking mode. Now that I have it I'm pretty unsatisfied because of how finicky my unit is, and I'm about to send it back for a F770. However, reading these negative feedback posts here lately is fairly depressing.

I'm open to the idea of running two single channels for a better experience but I just can't seem to find better rated cameras, parking mode and driving should be equally important.

The other thing i have come across is people watching back footage on their PC saying 'it's not as clear as i thought it would be' and they are not even using an HD monitor! As for poor video quality on the F770 i have no idea on that. I've had an F750 & F770 and i'm impressed by them both. We used some footage off of my camera for the Ideal Home Shows last year we had the video running from a Micro SD card in a Rasberry Pi unit to a 27" HD monitor and all we got was 'Wow, that's clear / amazing' from visitors......

The footage is very clear for its intended uses. I can easily read number plates if required at one point of the recording and even managed to pick off phone number of a company etc.

This is just a quick screengrab pasted into "paint" to show how clear even a poor attempt at an edit is. You wont be disappointed. Rear camera just as clear even through tinted window.

I will upload a video of front and back at the weekend when I am back home.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Can you read the license plate of the car driving in front of me?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1uyinskbbpxoo9/REC_2017_01_12_11_23_02_F.mp4?dl=0

The link contains the raw footage.
Running a dual channel.
This video quality is bad.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Something (Dropbox maybe) has reduced that video quality for sure. Even the date & time isn't very clear and that's embedded by the camera itself not via the lens.....

EDIT - Actually if i download it it looks ok to me....

Last edited:
Something (Dropbox maybe) has reduced that video quality for sure. Even the date & time isn't very clear and that's embedded by the camera itself not via the lens.....
That's the RAW file as it is.
I can upload another file if you want.

You have to download the file, don't view it in the browser.
After you download the file, can you confirm the bitrate? is that the expected bitrate?

Last edited:
For your convenience, here's another file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1668010/REC_2017_01_22_09_35_31_F.MP4
(don't mind the kids music).
See how lousy the image quality is? (make sure you download the file)

See the 2nd on coming car, the license plate is unreadable.

This is not expected from such an expensive camera. This is poor image quality. I may have a defective unit.

Get rid of it while it's still new and get 2 separate cameras for the front and rear. You'll have to say goodbye to a proper parking mode though.

Get rid of it while it's still new and get 2 separate cameras for the front and rear. You'll have to say goodbye to a proper parking mode though.
that is not an ideal solution, money wise mostly, and other-wise.

If you aren't happy with it, might as well take the hit and change now. If you need parking mode with pre buffer, there's no better than what you already have. Need to compromise one way or another till better options are available.

Reactions: Gil
The F770 has decent quality it just lacks the bitrate for its resolution. I can easily notice the compression artifacts (blockyness/jagged lines) especially in complex scenes (eg. lots of trees).

But compared to the SG9665GCv3 i found the quality difference to be minor. See my comparison vids here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLspuIuyai_YbNPIpJQc4aJ1IMv9Nge4DC

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kehray F770 4
T F770 7
P F770 8
7rank F770 9
Back