Is the 12V charger cable standard?

erkme73

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
a119v3 x 4
I couldn't find a good way to phrase that question and keep it short.

My previous dash camera (S2000) came with a 12V (ciggy adapter) charger with a mini USB connector. While it appeared to be quite normal, the pinouts were different. The 5V+ was on a normally unused pin that signaled the camera to start recording on power up. Using a standard phone charger or USB data cable that didn't have that odd configuration would start the camera in a USB mass storage mode, where it wouldn't record.

The consequence was that the S2000 could only be powered by the 'proprietary' mini USB charging cable that came with it. It didn't take long for my 2yo to yank the cable out of the camera, completely shredding the USB fitting.

So, my hope is that this 0806 uses a standard micro USB configuration.

This is the long way of me asking:

Has anyone tried powering up the 0806 with a standard micro USB charger or cable? And if so, did it power up and immediately start recording, or did it default to some other mode where it thinks it's hooked up to a PC?

You can power it with a normal USB power cable. I do.

Oh that's fantastic. Thanks for the near-instant reply. Just to confirm, when you say you 'power it' you do mean, in the car, with it starting to record as soon as you apply power, without any user input, right?

Oh that's fantastic. Thanks for the near-instant reply. Just to confirm, when you say you 'power it' you do mean, in the car, with it starting to record as soon as you apply power, without any user input, right?

right , it only matters where you get the power... getting power from car only when running is the most common preferred method. it starts recording when it gets power and i have it set to power off (see menu options) when no power sent to it from the cable

my cig lighter power sources run hot 24/7 so i had to fuse tap into the wiper/heated seat fuse panel using a fuse tap , so cam only gets power to it when the car is actually running. I bought my own cords from Amazon because i needed 16' or so, nothing special bu i did get 24AWG due to the distance, plus then added ferrite cores on them since they didnt come already on the cords.

Perfect. So you didn't reuse or in any way integrate the micro USB end of the original charger that came with the camera?

I've pre-wired both of my cars with an adjustable relay (set to 1 hour) that keeps the camera circuit powered after the engine (accessory) power is turned off. Each of the cable 'drops' (one looking in each of the four directions) currently has the 'proprietary' mini USB end on them (for the older GS2000 cameras). I will snip those off and install the equivalent STANDARD micro USB ends on them.

BTW, that relay is really helpful as it allows the cameras to keep running for long enough for me to return to the car (from most quick shopping trips). It also keeps the cameras from running down the car battery.

Per your question... No, no supplied cable was used..
i had bought a cable with instant down or up (cant remember how its called) , just a normal cable from Monoprice (they have tons of choices) connected to cam
DSCF3672.JPG
ran the 6' to the 10' and connected the male/female USB ends
DSCF3691.JPG
10' foot regular usb cable i got (i did get 24awg)
cable.jpg
male end connected into a USB charger in a 12v cig outlet , fuse tap connected
DSCF3546.JPG

Last edited:
Back