Is the extra 20d of view (G1WH) worth an upgrade from the G1W-C?

cavwebmaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
G1WH
I bought a 140d G1WH which I'm very happy with, but the rubber on the windscreen mount has a crease in it (due to poor packaging) so it won't stay adhered to the windscreen for long. I originally went for the G1WH because of the slightly wider angle of view, but I'm wondering if its really worth it, especially as the 120d G1W-C (with its capacitor based power) is the same price?

Does the G1WHs extra 20d of view really make that much of a difference mounted under the mirror on the windscreen? As I'm going to be sending back the G1WH (because of the rubber mounting fault) so I'm wondering if I should just replace it with the G1W-C?

BTW I'm sorry about the slightly misleading title but thats the only way I could make it sound sense in one line.

why not just ask for a new mount?

I have done but as its 'fulfilled by Amazon' they have told me I need to return it all. I'm not really bothered about returning it as it won't cost me anything and I can get a replacement before I send the G1WH back.

ok, if it's something easy to deal with then yes I'd go that way and send it back, better off

ok, if it's something easy to deal with then yes I'd go that way and send it back, better off

Yes I am but what I really need to know is whether it's worth replacing it with the G1W-C.

Do you replace whole car if tires are bad?

Just buy a better mount for few bucks.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/311197623396

I agree in principle that just getting a mount would be better, which should have been at the sellers expense, not the buyers, as it's Amazon though it's not a service thing it's just a send it back and we'll refund or replace scenario

Do you replace whole car if tires are bad?

Just buy a better mount for few bucks.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/311197623396

I've got a better mount that I have adapted from an old Sat Nav. The reason I want to return it is:

To get a replacement mount so I can use the G1 in another vehicle (without having to move the one mount around)

To consider swapping out the G1WH for a G1W-C

Hence the reason I keep asking my original question about whether the extra 20d of view is worth it.

I've got a better mount that I have adapted from an old Sat Nav. The reason I want to return it is:

To get a replacement mount so I can use the G1 in another vehicle (without having to move the one mount around)

To consider swapping out the G1WH for a G1W-C

Hence the reason I keep asking my original question about whether the extra 20d of view is worth it.

I don't think it's worth a trouble to save few bucks.

eBay has G1wx mounts for around $2.
You want to waste over $15 of seller on return shipping to USPS/FedEx/UPS... and then seller spends another $15 to ship you replacement all because you want to save $2?
You may not have to pay anything out of pocket as you bought from Amazon but that's just exploitation of the privilege.
We have users here who have torn apart the dashcam to fix issues that are much bigger than yours so both sides don't lose money and you have a minor issue.
Why do I care how much seller has to spend as long as I don't spend a penny? Right? :rolleyes:
BTW, 20 degrees is not any significant increase.

I agree in principle that just getting a mount would be better, which should have been at the sellers expense, not the buyers, as it's Amazon though it's not a service thing it's just a send it back and we'll refund or replace scenario
Yes but read my ebay comment above.

Last edited:
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. The mount is defective and I've been told to send it all back.

It costs Amazon very little to ship it back to them and to send another one out, and I don't know where you are getting your figures from as I'm in the UK and the Item is in the UK Amazon warehouse. I am entitled to send it back (even if I don't like it and want a refund) but I'm not doing that as I would rather just get a swap for either another G1WH or a G1W-C.

I spend 1000s at Amazon every Year and I'm not 'exploiting the privilege' as I'm well within my rights to return a defective item and get it swapped for something else.

Oh and lastly I cannot use the mount suggested above because of the shape of my mirror (and in any case it would cost more like $8 to buy one in the UK)

That link was just an example.
Here's one with 3m sticky pad: https://www.ebay.com/itm/131482295310
Well if seller is saying to send it all back, then send it back.
Seller should have just sent you the mount instead of returning all.
I guess they pass on the expenses to the manufacturer.

How long have you had it? Amazon usually hand over support to the seller after 30 days so they'd more than likely send you a new one at that point?

How long have you had it? Amazon usually hand over support to the seller after 30 days so they'd more than likely send you a new one at that point?

About a Week, but if they are going to end up refunding me I might as well consider buying the G1W-C. I have already asked Amazon support whether they could contact the seller to request a new mount, but they have told me that they cannot do that, and I have to send it all back to them.

I should not have to buy another mount as the one that was supplied should not of been defective (& It's not my fault that Amazon want me to send it all back) Quite frankly I do not know why I have had to explain this over two pages when I was just asking a simple question.

About a Week, but if they are going to end up refunding me I might as well consider buying the G1W-C. I have already asked Amazon support whether they could contact the seller to request a new mount, but they have told me that they cannot do that, and I have to send it all back to them.

I should not have to buy another mount as the one that was supplied should not of been defective (& It's not my fault that Amazon want me to send it all back) Quite frankly I do not know why I have had to explain this over two pages when I was just asking a simple question.

Simple answers:
20 degrees is not any significant upgrade.
Capacitor version is better for extreme weathers...

Done. Other things, you can deal with yourself. ;)

Does the G1WHs extra 20d of view really make that much of a difference mounted under the mirror on the windscreen? As I'm going to be sending back the G1WH (because of the rubber mounting fault) so I'm wondering if I should just replace it with the G1W-C?

BTW I'm sorry about the slightly misleading title but thats the only way I could make it sound sense in one line.
I have a G1W (sold as having a 120º FOV) since February and I bought a G1WH recently (sold as having a 140º FOV).
With the car stopped in the same place I recorded 10 sec of video with each one in the same mount, then compared the footage: the FOV is exactly the same! I can't see anything more to the left or to the right in front of the car with the G1WH.

Last edited:
Back