Is the power kit useful for Finevu CR500HD?

flyever

Reaction score
I am new to this forum. After searching on this forum and other websites, I am thinking to buy Finevu CR500HD. blackboxmycar is selling Finevu CR500HD + Power Kit for $374.40. Is the power kit useful? If not, I can buy CR500HD for $325.40. Is the power supply worth $50? Thanks in advance!

Hi flyever!
FineVu CR-500HD has a built-in controller voltage!
If the supply voltage drops below 11.7 car, then turn the power off DVR!
No need to buy PerfectPower!

If is true this is a great news and should be wrote in the DCT review about this camera.

I don't know how exactly is working this protection for 11.7V but I read on another camera called Livue LB100 that the camera will be shut down if that 11.8V input will be for more than 30 seconds duration. I think this is because when starting the car during winter is possible the voltage to go down to 11.7V for few seconds and after the engine started to come back over 12V.

enjoy,
Mtz

Hi Mtz,

These details are already on the FineVu CR-500HD page in the third paragraph. It states:

For parking mode, this camera has a built-in low voltage cut-off. Unfortunately the low voltage cut-off is set at 11.6v, which means your battery will likely be dead if it hits that voltage.

From everything I have read, the low voltage cut-off of the CR-500HD is 11.6 volts not 11.7 volts. This is way too low and your battery will be dead by the time it hits that voltage. Even the 11.8v of the FineVu Perfect Power is too low. Need to have approximately a 12 volt cutoff for this to be useful.

OK, sorry I didn't saw it. I was searching for the 11.7 not 11.7. :cry:

enjoy,
Mtz

No worries Mtz. I recently read about one person who had an older BlackVue Power Magic that had a 11.8v cutoff. The battery died and they were surprised that this happened given they invested in the battery protector. Really 12v should be the minimum for any cutoff and they should have numerous options since temperate affects battery voltage.

Dang, I had no idea of these cut off voltages and their impact. I have the Fine Vu power kit, but may invest in a better one after seeing this.

Especially if I move to a cold climate where the temps get below freezing.

I do not think the power kit is useful at all. I think being able to start your car and drive home is more important than having a dead battery. Trust me when I say this. I have been out and had my car not start due to a dead battery. It is no fun.

which power kit would be recommended then? is there an adjustable one?

The BlackVue ones are pretty good. You can read more about them here.

i have the Power Magic Pro installed and it works perfectly and i have it set to only stay on for 12 hours in parking mode. i park at home at night and while im at work im only there 9 hours..

ChicagoSox said:
i have the Power Magic Pro installed and it works perfectly and i have it set to only stay on for 12 hours in parking mode. i park at home at night and while im at work im only there 9 hours..

Do you have the power magic pro set up with the finevu cr500 ?

I use the Power Magic Pro Plus with the CR500. Works as intended with good options for voltage/time.

jamesbcd said:
I use the Power Magic Pro Plus with the CR500. Works as intended with good options for voltage/time.

Thanks James
Just waiting for my camera to be delivered, where did you buy yours from? I was toying with the idea of buying it from Canada but opted for a UK seller carcamerachoices.co.uk at least if there is any issues with the camera they will deal with it instead of having to send it back to Korea...
But it was a little bit more expensive and no power kit, but it does come with the external battery... not that I think I will use that...
Thanks for you reply :D

jamesbcd said:

Sorry for being dim but is there a difference between the Power Magic Pro and the Power Magic Pro Plus? or is it just the extra connection socket?
Thanks

Just the extra socket for the Power Magic Pro Plus...no other difference that I can see.

I brought mine from Canada, Alex at blackboxmycar.

Plus has the extra connection, only bought it just in case I ever get a rear cam.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
alexsoll CR-500HD 1
C CR-500HD 3
Milamber CR-500HD 0
Milamber CR-500HD 1
Back