Is the SGZ12SG supposed to have constant 12V power or Key switched?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC V2
I'm looking at buying this Camera. I was reading the manual but could not find an answer to this question.

Is the 12V power supply for the Camera supposed to be "hot all the time" (for power for Parking Mode) or is the normal installation using Key-On power and then the Parking Mode uses the built in capacitor for its power source. The cars I have seen only provide power to the Power Port (Cigar Lighter) when the Key is on.

If it uses "Key-On" (Hot while engine is running) power then, I assume, it is not necessary to get one of those "Battery Discharge Protection" devices. And if this is correct, how long does the Capacitor provide power for Parking Mode (would it last over the weekend)?

capacitor is only for shutdown, the camera can't run off it, if you want to use while parked then yes it's best to add a BDP to monitor battery voltage

I'm starting to understand. Thanks. One more question.
I am only interested in capturing an event while I'm driving (like an accident or hit-and-run). So I think I would wire up camera to "Key On" only power. Plus it was said that since I live in a hot climate, the camera would be happier if I did not have it running while parked.

So if I wire to "Key On" power, how long will it retain the settings (date, etc.) if the camera has no power? I don't need motion detection or parking mode. Do I ned to have the "G force sensor" turned on to automatically lock the recording if I'm in an accident (meaning does the G force lock/save the recording in an accident or do I need to push a button to do this)?

I want a camera that I just setup once, and each time I get in the car it's ready to go and starts recording automatically. I don't want to have to turn on the camera or touch anything to have it start recording.
Is the camera for me?

Once you setup they are good to go, nothing you would need to reset, the clock, user settings etc will keep for months at a time without power

G-Sensor will automatically lock an event and also give you the five seconds prior to the event occurring

Once you setup they are good to go, nothing you would need to reset, the clock, user settings etc will keep for months at a time without power

G-Sensor will automatically lock an event and also give you the five seconds prior to the event occurring

So I am looking to have someone hardwire for me - and these are the items that I was told to buy from your rep:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00JFUU87Ghttps://www.amazon.com/gp/B00F474DVG
Is that all I need to take in with me to the stereo installation place?

if you want to use when parked you need the multi safer, don't need the multi port adapter though

if wiring to a switched source they won't need either

Back