Is there a consensus on the best bang for the buck basic camera?

Grzegorz

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yes, yes, I know, you get what you pay for...

I know the cameras mentioned here often (innov, viofo, thinkware, etc) are good but they're also quite expensive at $300+ and they also have tons of features I don't even need. I don't need 4k, or a screen, or a remote, or gps, or wifi (is it even possible to get a camera without wifi?). I just need a basic 1080p front/rear camera to mount on my motorcycle that will produce reasonable quality videos in case of an accident. I've seen cameras on aliexpress for as low as $40 but I'm sure these produce terrible quality videos. Any recommendation?

If you go for separate cameras, I suggest the Mobius or Mobius Maxi. But with 2 cameras, the mounts and other mounting accessories, you'll be pretty close to that $300 figure. These aren't water proof either.

Waterproof action cameras are your best bet.

Why did you recommend those cameras?

I don't want an action camera because I want something that gets wired to a switched power source on my motorcycle and automatically starts recording when the bike turns on. Not something where I have to press a button to get it to record.

The Blueskysea B1M and Viofo MT1 are decent cameras with decent video quality, the Viofo being better but costing more.

If you want significantly cheaper then it becomes hard to say they are good value since they probably wont stand up to a lot of use and the image quality is not great, but even the $40 ones do record video, and some video can be much better than nothing even if it is terrible quality, if it only needs to show who was at fault. In good light some of the very cheap ones can actually produce OK video, not great quality but OK for evidence purposes. If you want good value long term then do look at the better ones such as those I mentioned.

Ok, first when I was into this dash cam world I was like I need a dash cam which should have every feature, searched a lot and bought Rexing V1P Max 4k dash cam. That was a solid dash cam with price CAD 345, but I didn't like the quality of the videos. Disappointed, I thought why we need 4k let's go fo a 2k cam and bought Viofo A129 Plus Duo which was CAD 234. Because of some failed to record issues, I got frustrated and bought MyGeekoGear Orbit 950 from BestBuy in an offer for just CAD 120. After I bought the cam I read the review on DashCamTalk and shocked to see how inferior it is compared to some popular cams out there, especially the one I have already Viofo A129 Plus Duo which I already initiated to return on Amazon. Immediately I returned MyGeekoGear and kept Viofo A129 Plus instead. Later I solved the issues with my cam.
So, basically I was unable to find a basic dual cam which can record decent videos with out those features like wifi, GPS etc. Most of the companies are adding all the features to attract customers dropping off some quality. MyGeekoGear sounds good if you just look into it's features, as it ticks very box like GPS, Wifi, 1080p Front+Rear etc but it has very low bitrates and poor unknown sensor which they hide in specifications. Why not they have a decent cam with a Sony sensor minus GPS, wifi etc? Might be again, because they have to attract buyers.

Why not they have a decent cam with a Sony sensor minus GPS, wifi etc? Might be again, because they have to attract buyers.
You can buy a 2K Viofo A119 V3 which does not have Wifi. It has a Sony IMX335 Exmor R Starvis sensor. It is available with or without a GPS mount.

I've been running two of them for just over two years now with 100% reliability. Image quality is excellent.

Why did you recommend those cameras?

I don't want an action camera because I want something that gets wired to a switched power source on my motorcycle and automatically starts recording when the bike turns on. Not something where I have to press a button to get it to record.
just been looking for motorcycle camera myself and ali express has one with front /rear 1080 .......128gb sd card... a switch and screen for £60....
i prefer external cameras for parking recording as windows steam up lol

Let's please remember the OP is wanting a motorcycle cam, which presumably will exclude non-waterproof automotive type cams.

I have no experience with these but from what little I've read about them I will concur with Nigel's recommendations. As best I can tell anything cheaper will disappoint with reliability problems.

Phil

Looks like the Blueskysea B1M at about $180 CAD or $140 USD is my best bet. Does anybody know of a better camera for less money? I can wait a few months to buy it as it's too cold to ride here anyways.

Ok, first when I was into this dash cam world I was like I need a dash cam which should have every feature, searched a lot and bought Rexing V1P Max 4k dash cam. That was a solid dash cam with price CAD 345, but I didn't like the quality of the videos. Disappointed, I thought why we need 4k let's go fo a 2k cam and bought Viofo A129 Plus Duo which was CAD 234. Because of some failed to record issues, I got frustrated and bought MyGeekoGear Orbit 950 from BestBuy in an offer for just CAD 120. After I bought the cam I read the review on DashCamTalk and shocked to see how inferior it is compared to some popular cams out there, especially the one I have already Viofo A129 Plus Duo which I already initiated to return on Amazon. Immediately I returned MyGeekoGear and kept Viofo A129 Plus instead. Later I solved the issues with my cam.
So, basically I was unable to find a basic dual cam which can record decent videos with out those features like wifi, GPS etc. Most of the companies are adding all the features to attract customers dropping off some quality. MyGeekoGear sounds good if you just look into it's features, as it ticks very box like GPS, Wifi, 1080p Front+Rear etc but it has very low bitrates and poor unknown sensor which they hide in specifications. Why not they have a decent cam with a Sony sensor minus GPS, wifi etc? Might be again, because they have to attract buyers.
When buying cheap chinese electronics I prefer to look for things with the least number of features, because the more features they try to cram in, the worse quality it's likely to be because it's not feasible to have many features and high quality and cheap price. I'd prefer a camera that does only one thing (record video) but does it really well instead of a camera that does many things poorly. For those who need a lot of features, they shouldn't expect quality if they cheap out.

Any updates on the consensus here?
+ me me me meeee!
:D
so far torn between everything, as none are matching my requirements:

Waterproof

Recording decent quality in 1080p day or (rain)-"night"

(desirable) to have a 4 hrs battery or possibility to connect to a brick

image stabilisation or Gyro

Would take 128gb card (as that's up to 4 hrs of 1080p) recording

Screen?- don't really care, as long as it's operable, (not via morse code in x2 buttons), also is great deal battery draining factor

Reasonably "cheap" up to a £100 GBP... considering my Xiaomi Mi Dash-cam cost me £60 and is perfectly satisfactory for 3 years of usage (small battery, non waterproof and impossible to find a case for buttons + would need to have my power brick....)

Wi-Fi connection to a phone desirable, not critical.
................................................................................................................................

All can be compromised to a degree, looking through everything discussed on this board.
Stuck between:
(available) but ever so short on features SJCam C100; C200 and too expensive, tuning too bulky with separate waterproofing case (making unsuitable for my biking recordings) C300

Mobius short of stabilisation, tiny batts, hard to find that would deliver to UK, very few accessories for mounting- waterproofing, non USB-C (not big deal)....not sure which model to look at as best option, between all the generations, lenses etc...

GitUp F1 cant find neither cam or accessories to make it truly waterproof and to last my up to 4 hrs races

Began looking at some used retro "blogging" cams (used) like Samsung, Sony, Toshiba out of desperation, as no way in hell or high water I'll be getting GoPro (his "kit" was £500) or InstaCam at £300

There's got to be something, that would fit my (and possibly yours), like OP requirements Action cam?

+ me me me meeee!
:D
so far torn between everything, as none are matching my requirements:

Waterproof

Recording decent quality in 1080p day or (rain)-"night"

(desirable) to have a 4 hrs battery or possibility to connect to a brick

image stabilisation or Gyro

Would take 128gb card (as that's up to 4 hrs of 1080p) recording

Screen?- don't really care, as long as it's operable, (not via morse code in x2 buttons), also is great deal battery draining factor

Reasonably "cheap" up to a £100 GBP... considering my Xiaomi Mi Dash-cam cost me £60 and is perfectly satisfactory for 3 years of usage (small battery, non waterproof and impossible to find a case for buttons + would need to have my power brick....)

Wi-Fi connection to a phone desirable, not critical.
................................................................................................................................

All can be compromised to a degree, looking through everything discussed on this board.
Stuck between:
(available) but ever so short on features SJCam C100; C200 and too expensive, tuning too bulky with separate waterproofing case (making unsuitable for my biking recordings) C300

Mobius short of stabilisation, tiny batts, hard to find that would deliver to UK Smallcrete, very few accessories for mounting- waterproofing, non USB-C (not big deal)....not sure which model to look at as best option, between all the generations, lenses etc...

GitUp F1 cant find neither cam or accessories to make it truly waterproof and to last my up to 4 hrs races

Began looking at some used retro "blogging" cams (used) like Samsung, Sony, Toshiba out of desperation, as no way in hell or high water I'll be getting GoPro (his "kit" was £500) or InstaCam at £300

There's got to be something, that would fit my (and possibly yours), like OP requirements Action cam?
I am going to finally get a skywatcher EQ6-R. now I am looking to put an imaging scope on it. im looking at all these ed80 scopes as it seems to be a consensus good first imaging scope. I am wondering if anyone knows of a good quality scope for its price point. would it hurt to go a bit bigger like an ed100 as a first imaging scope? also what would be a good guidescope and guidecamera combination to get, i know of the orion packages but I have been worried that if i by an orion package i would be upgrading to something later down the road. i would rather spend money once and get it right the first time. I have a Canon T6i not modified and probably not going to as i like taking nightscapes with it. as well as kids sports and general outdoor photography. what would be a good camera to buy. I found a good deal on a ZWO ASI174M i know its mono but i could just take mono pictures to start then buy filters/filterwheel later down the road. what are your thoughts on my thoughts. thanks guys

I am going to finally get a skywatcher EQ6-R. now I am looking to put an imaging scope on it. im looking at all these ed80 scopes as it seems to be a consensus good first imaging scope. I am wondering if anyone knows of a good quality scope for its price point. would it hurt to go a bit bigger like an ed100 as a first imaging scope? also what would be a good guidescope and guidecamera combination to get, i know of the orion packages but I have been worried that if i by an orion package i would be upgrading to something later down the road. i would rather spend money once and get it right the first time. I have a Canon T6i not modified and probably not going to as i like taking nightscapes with it. as well as kids sports and general outdoor photography. what would be a good camera to buy. I found a good deal on a ZWO ASI174M i know its mono but i could just take mono pictures to start then buy filters/filterwheel later down the road. what are your thoughts on my thoughts. thanks guys
I assume you mis-posted this on DCT and it should be in an astrophotography forum??
@DashCamMan

Back