is there a dashcam that works while vehicle is parked?

thingieing

Reaction score
Country
Canada
as said in title

cuz someone scratched up my vehicle while it was parked...now i'm thinking of getting 1

which 1 would you guys recommend for a 2 ch or even a 4 ch that can be obtained in Canada?...thanks

I suggest a dashcam with buffered Motion & G sensing, so you capture the moments leading up to the incident, & not just the aftermath.

Consider brands like Thinkware, Panorama, Street Guardian, etc.

And offcourse you will need to wire in the camera to a permant power source, dan draw power thru a BDP ( Battery Discharge Preventer ) that make sure your dashcam dont drain your car battery so you cant start it.

If you only drive a little every day, like 1 - 2 houres it might be too little to keep your car battery charged 100%, this offcourse depend on the state of your car battery and the generator on your car.

A dashcam dont use much power, but when its on for 7 houres while you work, and then 7 houres while you sleep it all add up, not least if your car have to make up for that witl a little driving every day.

I have a IP camera on my car where its parked at home, there will be no hiding for my wrath for the next SOB who key my car.

is this any good?

You get what you pay for. It's difficult (impossible?) to get a decent single camera for $40 so how good do you think a dual camera system for the same money will be?

Is the Thinkware F750 confirmed to do pre buffered parking mode?

The older versions were a different platform which did it but not sure I've actually seen it confirmed on the Ambarella side?

I did notice a bit saying that when the internal memory on the Thinkware needs replacing it needs to be professionally serviced. Half of me is wondering whether it's just a small internal microSD card maybe like the Mini series can use and they use that as a constant buffer if it does do pre buffered parking mode correctly.

If they've figured that out on Ambarella then no reason why no one else can use a similar method on that platform tbh.

I tried the Dome G5WA and had various stability and performance issues with that, I'll revisit it if a new software comes out - I still run the Panorama X2 in my car for constant detection front and rear and also run a Street Guardian SG9665GC up front which I need to get hardwired at some point.

Lots of folks are starting to run two separate one channel cameras in the front and rear though like for example the Street Guardian SGZC12RC.

Last edited:
Is that a recentish SDK thing mate as most of the Ambarella cameras were never that great at doing motion detection?

Is that a recentish SDK thing mate as most of the Ambarella cameras were never that great at doing motion detection?

I think for the most part it comes down to developers aren't that good at coding, capability has been in the SDK for at least 18 months or so

So I just learned about this BlackVue Power Magic Pro

It is a must have and it will work with ANY camera. The OTHER must have IMO is an Optima battery. This goes for any car and any driver (except race cars then I recommend Lithium). Yellow or Red top depending on how often you drive the car and if you ever run accessories off the battery only. Yellow top can handle being drained further without damage. I use the RED even though I often run the radio with the car off and have several devices that use standby power. The warranty is significant enough that if you ruin it from discharges that you can get a replacement or once the warranty is up you got your value out of it.

That said, if you drive the car daily for more than 30 minutes you should be good to go. These cameras don't suck down a ton of juice. Running a camera for an entire week off of a Optima Red top then driving the car for 30 minutes and then running it for another several days is likely within the realm of possibility. The batteries cost $150 (compact car) to $300 (V8 powered car). The Yellow is specifically designed to be drained almost completely and then charged back up at an extremely fast pace over and over and over by your alternator or high speed charger. IT HAS A 3 YEAR CAR AUDIO APPROVED WARRANTY!!! The Red Top is the better starting battery but it isn't rated as well for high current charging and deep cycles (using it all and then full high speed recharge). It also has a 3 Year Warranty but is barred from high current car audio use. Even if you buy a red top and ruin it from car audio they will only deny you if you either admit to it or are trying to replace multiple batteries at once. Even with the Yellow Top if you have multiple batteries that are over 1yr old they will require proof that you have a battery management system.

Bottom line... you can't get a better battery.

Running accessories with the car off? IMO the Optima battery and the BlackVue Power Magic are not optional! The BlackVue can run an unlimited number of accessories with an unlimited power draw through the use of relays. But without extra relays the device seems to be designed to handle 4 cameras without issue.

Ill be honest though you need to ensure these cameras are absolutely hidden if you want to get this guy.

My grandmothers section 8 neighbors keyed both of her and my grandpas cars 2x each because she had their car towed for parking in the her parking spot over and over and over even after being warned. I did my best to hide the camera but they saw it DAY ONE!!! They called the police about it and everything. The police laughed at them of course.

Anyways, I hope you can catch this guy!

Also it isn't necessary to have a parking mode capable camera. You can let the cameras roll non stop. Just make sure you get a 64GB card and set it too a resolution and fine setting that will get you how much time you need. 12HRs should be enough. You don't need to check the footage either. Just check the car for damage every 12HRs. If you find an affordable camera with auto sd card switching (the 0806 DOESN'T WORK) then you can run 2 64GB cards. If you got money pooring out of your ears you can run 128GB cards of course. Also just because a camera claims it can auto switch cards or that it has a parking mode do NOT trust that it actually functions without checking these forums first. I have a Mini 0806 and nearly every feature on it is busted. If you insert 2 cards or mess with almost any setting besides resolution it will start messing up, freezing, beeping, or not recording! All that said I have also used car DVRs that just take a camera input... Those are truly expensive, draw more power, but can be paired with a sony handycam that has a huge zeis lens and function night vision. Probably bit out of your reach money wise but then again I have no clue what you make or what you drive. You could be that millionaire that imported several Audio RS4s for all I know!

... it isn't necessary to have a parking mode capable camera. You can let the cameras roll non stop. Just make sure you get a 64GB card and set it too a resolution and fine setting that will get you how much time you need. 12HRs should be enough.

Trawl through 12 hours of loop-recorded video in search of an incident that lasted a few seconds? No thanks. Buffered Motion & G Sensing is the way to go...

If the dashcam support MOTION DETECTION function , the dashcam will record the image even parking .
Jado dashcam all models support MOTION DETECTION
If any reqeust, pls contact email : xwx@china-jado.com

dashcam power supply by AV lines ( alway powered by car battery ) , turn on the motion detection when parking, the dashcam will recording the car front image , if the image changing, the dashcam will lock the recording videos until the image is static.
Jokiin is right most of dashcam have this function, as i know, just 10% users will use this function, most of users even never know how to use this function .

I don't know why you think why you said "99% of them are not suitable for parking mode" . we reasrch few other pakcing detection software , and think " motion detection" is useful, easy operation .
FYI

Trawl through 12 hours of loop-recorded video in search of an incident that lasted a few seconds? No thanks. Buffered Motion & G Sensing is the way to go...

Yes, this would be easier to do but then again how often would you have to check through all those hours of video? It's not that often for any single car to get vandalized even if the total number shows a lot more, so you might need to do this once or twice a year (unless you have an enemy who knows where you park).

If you leave a cam running, pre-buffering is irrelevant so a cheaper or lesser cam might do the job well enough. Either way, if you park in the sun you'll want a cam robust enough to handle the heat, probably a capacitor model to avoid cam battery problems. You can generally leave one cam running 6-8 hours without draining the car battery but for more cams or longer time you'd need a BDP or separate power-bank. Or cams that pre-buffer which aren't among the cheapest. To get good coverage for this purpose is going to cost a lot of $$$. It can be done though.

Almost every cam has motion-detect, but most of them don't pre-buffer which will leave you with a vid of someone who is no longer at your car and already walking away- little or no actual proof of anything beyond that this person was indeed near your car while parked- but so were a lot of other people. And many have poor motion detection which allows someone walking slowly or at the edge of view to not activate the camera at all. Read of people's experiences with the various cams on these forums; don't believe the hype. Just because a feature is included doesn't mean it works well!

Phil

Back