Is there a decent dashcam with android 5+, ADAS, GPS, reversing cam and wifi?

Ami

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there,

I have been looking for a dashcam with the above features but there's a lot out there and frankly a lot of lies too.

ADAS is not too important, it's just good at spotting sudden deceleration at a distance which our eyes are not good at spotting. The reversing camera is important as I am going to be using a hitch box which is below my field of view (and rear end collisions are common). I figure the audio alert if picked up by the mic in case of an accident may be to my benefit as well if I end up rear ending another vehicle due to their sudden deceleration.

I'd like GPS, wifi and Android because I'd like to run Waze on it and would like my speed displayed on the recording.
Parking monitoring in case of a hit and escape would be good as well.

I am not overly fussed about the image size as long as the quality is good enough to display number plates. I suspect a larger lens would be beneficial to allow more light in.
There's a couple of cheapies around but they are 30fps and I cannot find a lot of information on them. The one youtube reviewer I found is very happy with the one he bought.

Any suggestions?

This is the kind of aspect ratio/screen I am after. If I have to select a single mounting point it would be beside the mirror.
Image/dashcam here, if you know anything about this model I'd love to hear it!
7b8EdfE.jpg

Last edited:
Hi!
When buying such gadgets, it is better to take better-known brands, such as Junsun. For example Junsun E31 https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/Juns...007.13338.125185.0&scm_id=1007.13338.125185.0
And try to write to several sellers and request their firmware for this tablet - can they send the firmware in case of force majeure. Depending on the answers, you can decide on the choice of the seller

And it is desirable to find real reviews about a particular model.

Hi!
When buying such gadgets, it is better to take better-known brands, such as Junsun. For example Junsun E31 https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/Juns...007.13338.125185.0&scm_id=1007.13338.125185.0
And try to write to several sellers and request their firmware for this tablet - can they send the firmware in case of force majeure. Depending on the answers, you can decide on the choice of the seller

And it is desirable to find real reviews about a particular model.

That's a white label product like the one I showed above, I don't think Junsun made it. I have been looking for the manufacturer and cannot find it.
I have been reading a lot of personal reviews as well. I would like the option of having in on the dash board but most of the time it will be near the mirror so it is not in direct sunlight.

don't waste your money, these all in one products don't do any of their functions particularly well

I find it hard to believe there's not at least one Android unit that can't run the functions moderately well. My tablet can do all of these functions but is a bit big for the job and would require the use of wireless cameras which is not ideal.

The alternative I have been looking at is using the tablet to display the live feed from a smaller camera like the Viofo for reversing and use the tablet for the GPS etc.. but I'd rather keep it all in one.

Are they all bad?

Thanks. I can optimise an existing unit if rooted but I am not willing to spend $250 just to mess around on it.

I hope someone does make a decent dedicated Android based GPS/Dashcam, there's certainly a market for it and the hardware would differ little from existing medium range tablets.

There has been some Android based models already, they've all fallen short in one way or another

There has been some Android based models already, they've all fallen short in one way or another

I expect some shortcomings and that's fine. I have a smartphone as opposed to a limited "dumb" phone and I accept the shortcomings of that as well.
I don't expect a flawless image, perfect GPS or no problems whatsoever, however it should do what is claimed on the box.

All I expect is a reasonable facsimile of the devices it emulates. If it can do a reasonable job I would be happy with it. I don't need 4k to show what happened in an accident, if it has enough detail to show the number plate then all's good. The rest are standard Android operations. It will get hot when running 3d/AR, the battery will be crap and even worse with smaller devices, the GPS may take a few minutes to acquire... acceptable.

Do these items do what they claim within reasonable expectations? I know that is vague and a lot has to be factored in such as processor, sensors and so on, but often you get what you pay for. I guess the question is are they a good buy for the price or are they just a gimmick for now?

I don't need 4k to show what happened in an accident, if it has enough detail to show the number plate then all's good.
Problem is that most dedicated dashcams will struggle to read number plates unless conditions are perfect and the plates are very close! A general purpose camera is not sufficient for this task most of the time.

Also, the battery will die in the heat, in Australia that will quite likely take less than a year. Decent dashcams do not use batteries because they are almost guaranteed to fail.

As for your reversing camera, best to get a proper reversing camera designed for the task, they don't cost much and do work well for what they are designed for, a dashcam is not designed for that task.

What else have you got on this device? I see it has radio - the car radio will be much better, Navigation - use your phone, they work perfectly well.

I expect some shortcomings and that's fine. I have a smartphone as opposed to a limited "dumb" phone and I accept the shortcomings of that as well.
I don't expect a flawless image, perfect GPS or no problems whatsoever, however it should do what is claimed on the box.
As they say - "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it"©
You can see what is being discussed on the Russian 4PDA forum - DVRs on the Android in the rear-view mirror case, perhaps this will help you understand what problems users are facing
topic link 1, topic link 2, topic link 3, topic link 4

Last edited:
Problem is that most dedicated dashcams will struggle to read number plates unless conditions are perfect and the plates are very close! A general purpose camera is not sufficient for this task most of the time.

Also, the battery will die in the heat, in Australia that will quite likely take less than a year. Decent dashcams do not use batteries because they are almost guaranteed to fail.

As for your reversing camera, best to get a proper reversing camera designed for the task, they don't cost much and do work well for what they are designed for, a dashcam is not designed for that task.

What else have you got on this device? I see it has radio - the car radio will be much better, Navigation - use your phone, they work perfectly well.

I was considering an external camera but there's very few that have more than 2 channels or both channels being external cameras. I am also fine with replacing batteries, I tend to look after and maintain my devices. I was also considering an external battery pack and removing the internal battery.

The radio is an fm transmitter, limited but useful. The reversing camera is just so I can see things below my vision, and record any rear-end collisions, so I can prove what happened. I can reverse fine without it.

As they say - "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it"©
You can see what is being discussed on the Russian 4pda forum - DVRs on the android in the rear-view mirror case, perhaps this will help you understand what problems users are facing
topic link 1, topic link 2, topic link 3, topic link 4

Thanks for that!

Back