Is there a downside ?

Canada Bob

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Vantrue E1
Is there a downside of using an Anker Powercore Speed 10000 QC power pack to run a Vantrue T2 when the car is parked up ?
It's the QC {quick charge} feature that concerns me, the output can go up to 9v...

Anker Power Pack

If the power pack was fully charged any thoughts on how long it might power the T2 ?

Vantrue T2

There is no problem with the 9 volts, it will only send 5 volts to a T2.

Only problem I know of is that the powerbank is likely to power off when the camera is in parking mode because the T2 uses only a few milliamps of power so the powerbank will think there is nothing connected.

You can leave the T2 connected to car power, since it uses so little power it will not drain the battery unless you leave it for weeks. If you use the Vantrue ODB cable then it contains a low voltage cutoff to ensure the car battery isn't completely drained.

Hello Nigel,

So the powerbank will only provide the voltage that the T2 asks for ? is that how it works ? a pull thing rather than a push from the powerbank ?
I haven't hard wired the T2 in yet, well not via the ODB, I guess that little unit in line does the voltage cut off then ?

I've had the powerbank for a while, hardly ever used it, I was looking for a good use for it, having read what you say maybe I'll just get the ODB wire connected.
Thanks for the input, it's appreciated.

Bob.

The default voltage for USB is 5 volts, anything else has to be negotiated between the powerbank and the device. I would be very surprised if the T2 has any negotiation logic in it.

I think the voltage cut off is in the ODB plug, you just plug it in. The cut off voltage is about 11.8 volts which is a bit low, but it is unlikely to get that low if the battery is in reasonable condition, the T2 has the most power efficient parking mode I've encountered.

You could try the powerbank, the quickcharge ones seem more keen to stay on than the older ones. I know it wouldn't stay on with any of mine though.

Thanks again Nigel, much appreciated, I'll see how the powerbank pans out in the next few days parked up and overnight.

As for the cut out at 11.8v chances are you'd have to leave the car for a week or so if the T2 barely draws any power...

As you say 11.8 does sound a bit low, it's a pity the T2 doesn't let you set the voltage cut off the same way that my old Lukas 7900 did.

Bob.

Last edited:
Back