Is there a focus problem with my A800S?

zerkranz

Reaction score
Country
Korea, Republic Of
NO20220708-182648-000043F.mp4_20220708_204125.116.jpg
NO20220708-184626-000059F.mp4_20220708_205100.409.jpg

It was only after I bought A800S from AliExpress in June that I found out through this forum that this model has a focus issue.
Actually, I'm not picky, so I don't think this is terribly bad quality. But if I can get better video with a little effort, there's no reason not to.
Since I often report illegal vehicles, the license plate must be clearly visible.

After browsing this forum for a few days, I learned how to rotate the A800S lens to correct the image quality, but I'm not sure if my A800S needs it.
The Hawk-eyes here seem to know whether the focus is correct or not just by looking at the photos, so I hope they can help me as well.

Thanks, I hope you all have fun and happy driving.

Welcome to the forum zerkranz

The footage look OK to me, the dashcams use wide angle lenses so a car dont have to be far away before the plate get hard to read.
Motion blur is also a thing you can experience in the daytime, if there are a lot of darker things around the road the camera will compensate for that and use a slower exposure, and so you get motion blur.
You can also get encode blur as i call it, like on your bottom picture and the grass on the Right, it would take a lot if the camera had to resolve every blade of grass there, so it just say " screw it" i will not use much effort in this part of the frame right now.
And so you get smeared / blocky looking areas.

A action camera like my djo osmo action would resolve these things better, but it also run at a 100 mbit birtate and so have far more power to deal with more things, but it would probably be bad as a dashcam and overheat as it get very hot doing all that stuff.

you have to remember a dashcam are a simple accident recorder, it can not compare to proper video or photo cameras, that most times operate in a much different thermal envelope.
Though i have also seen storied about very expensive, very high end video cameras, that overheat if you try to do a too long recording session.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
drbram A800S 0
S A800S 8
K A800S 16
Back