Is there a OSX app that is compatible with this camera?

Mia Melody

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

i have been looking around for a osx application to open the video files and see the GPS location history on a map, is there anything out there at all?

you can try www.dashcamviewer.com and see if it works for you, there has been some success but it may be firmware version dependent
pure garbage on osx, does not work, cant see videos only hear them, then the guy wants money, all this is going on because of that nerd techsomething in england and his dashcam reviews, and i also fell for this camera..rrrhh

incase anyoen wonders whats out there better then this, if they dont care about gps since they have iphones, get a mobius, i had mine for 3 years now and it out lived 4 dashcams suggested by that nerd technosomething.

pure garbage on osx, does not work, cant see videos only hear them, then the guy wants money

to be fair he offers the trial version so you can see if it works for you or not before spending any money, this particular camera has been hit and miss as they keep changing things which breaks the functionality and the manufacturer has no interest in desktop apps so that may not change

all this is going on because of that nerd techsomething in england and his dashcam reviews, and i also fell for this camera..rrrhh

not the first camera reviewed that has fallen a bit short of the hype, the reviews are generally short term with a bunch of 'this feature isn't great but that's not a function I care for personally' type statements littered throughout, they do always have referral links to purchase though, make of that what you will ;)

make n
to be fair he offers the trial version so you can see if it works for you or not before spending any money, this particular camera has been hit and miss as they keep changing things which breaks the functionality and the manufacturer has no interest in desktop apps so that may not change

not the first camera reviewed that has fallen a bit short of the hype, the reviews are generally short term with a bunch of 'this feature isn't great but that's not a function I care for personally' type statements littered throughout, they do always have referral links to purchase though, make of that what you will ;)
Ofcourse i tried the software, why did you think i said its literally GARBAGE, not worth a penny, it should come with the camera free WORKING not been pitched by Technomat and his friends in on a money grab!

I say the techno-nerd will go down as another sell out! , he even posted videos defending the camera by giving a free tech support to anyone having issues but he dragged out 4 minutes just making a point that some times people use the wrong SD cards, total bullocks, for 100€ one can buy a decent camera today that does better, im looking at 3-4g routers under 70 € that allow me to add a sim card and use an external antenna (if i need to) and up to 10 devices, such as a IP camera under 45€ so i can not only record to a SD inside the camera as a dashcam but see it live on my phone from anywhere in the world!

Ofcourse i tried the software, why did you think i said its literally GARBAGE, not worth a penny, it should come with the camera free WORKING not been pitched by Technomat and his friends in on a money grab!

the software works fine on some other models, OSX has never been spoiled for choice when it comes to dashcam support so it's a challenge to start with, this particular camera is not desktop app friendly either and the manufacturer has no interest in working with anyone to improve that unfortunately so I doubt it's ever going to deliver what people want

mine is going BACK to the ebay seller i got it from, looks nice and all but total BS, i like keeping video files of captured scenes (someone touching my vehicles etc) on my computer, Although this camera attaches via magnet i lost interest in talking it out of the car because its USELESS once detached!, the GPS is actually in the base as well as the power connectors, so it cant be powered up detached!, one has to transfer the files by taking out the SD card which is a pain once you install it in a very discreet spot on your windshield, and getting videos off it via wifi is a long journey, i have purchased several cameras recommended by technoman and they are far better and cheaper, i have doubts the life on this camera can beat the mobius i have, its 3 years old and works great!

they should be honest and say LIMITED SUPPORT FOR IOS AND OSX.

Mia, I don't want to add to your suffering with the camera but, before you return it, would it be possible to let us know what resolution you have it recording video at?

Dashcam Viewer won't show videos on my PC if they are recorded at the camera's highest resolution - I have to turn the camera down to 1080, and then Dashcam Viewer plays them OK. I wonder if it's the same with some Apple machines?

I suspect that a combination of the video player that Dashcam Viewer uses and the video performance of the computer is to blame, as other players - eg VLC - will play the high resolution video back fine on the same PC.

I totally agree that the lack of decent desktop/laptop software from the manufacturer is a deal killer and would stop me recommending this cam to anyone else, but I do intend to pester the manufacturer about this. I looked at the offerings in a couple of high street stores the other day and didn't see anything with the features and potential that this camera has for anything like the price.

OOps... very late edit: I've just found a posting here from "Traveler", the writer of Dashcam viewer, which says
"Note: only the Windows version of DV is compatible with the DDPai M6+ MP4 movie format."

Last edited:
mine is going BACK to the ebay seller i got it from, looks nice and all but total BS, i like keeping video files of captured scenes (someone touching my vehicles etc) on my computer, Although this camera attaches via magnet i lost interest in talking it out of the car because its USELESS once detached!, the GPS is actually in the base as well as the power connectors, so it cant be powered up detached!, one has to transfer the files by taking out the SD card which is a pain once you install it in a very discreet spot on your windshield, and getting videos off it via wifi is a long journey, i have purchased several cameras recommended by technoman and they are far better and cheaper, i have doubts the life on this camera can beat the mobius i have, its 3 years old and works great!

they should be honest and say LIMITED SUPPORT FOR IOS AND OSX.

You do seem very angry and frustrated.

I bought this dashcam on the strength of the Techmoan review and a fair bit of research to see if the camera would suit my needs. I have had many dashcams over the past few years and quite tech savy, and have to say I am happy with it. I agree it's not suitable for a begininer, but generally does what it say's it does.

Certainly not something I'd get that angry over or get upset because a reviewer's opinion or perspective is different to mine. I'd suggest return it, and move on... enjoy life :)

You do somewhat paint yourself into a corner when you go with a fruit company product, thats the price for being "unique" and trendy i guess.

I knew this when i got a windows phone 4 years ago when it was already clear that IOS and android was the way to go, and win phone would be replaced by win 8.1 phone and then later on something else.
But no doubt the past 4 years i have been truly unique on the phone front :D
But its really no problem, i dont put apps on my phone and the ones already there i delete or at least stop from running.

Seem like fruit company people always have problems in one way or the other, not that the rest of us dont have that too, but our problems seem smaller some way.

You do somewhat paint yourself into a corner when you go with a fruit company product, thats the price for being "unique" and trendy i guess.

I knew this when i got a windows phone 4 years ago when it was already clear that IOS and android was the way to go, and win phone would be replaced by win 8.1 phone and then later on something else.
But no doubt the past 4 years i have been truly unique on the phone front :D
But its really no problem, i dont put apps on my phone and the ones already there i delete or at least stop from running.

Seem like fruit company people always have problems in one way or the other, not that the rest of us dont have that too, but our problems seem smaller some way.
True... I seem to have less problems since moving from ios. I still use an imac are home and a windows laptop for work. Being tech sävy and adept at moving across platforms to suit my needs is something I'm used to now and don't find myself cornered or limited... just adapt or find alternative solution.

Do find you comment about not installing apps in your phone interesting lol... doesn't it kind of defeat the point of a smart phone?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I defeated that long ago, i call it personal contact with my friends and family, and even my internet friends i can reach out to in seconds without having to hand anything over to companies like facetwitt.

Actually i only have a phone so my dear old sick mother can get a hold of me quickly, when she is gone so is the phone ( i think )

i
You do seem very angry and frustrated.

I bought this dashcam on the strength of the Techmoan review :)
dont even TRY to depict me some nonesense angry bird buddy!, i know a bit about cameras from working in broadcast, and i can tell you that Techmoan is a true british k*nt (something he calls people himself for less of a reason then mine here), he misled everyone to believe this is the camera to have and through way better cameras under the bus to get some sort of CUT out of all this.

I wont go through the 8 cameras out there that provide the same quality, motion detection off a power bank and even SD card slot, wifi and IP address to reach from your phone but lets say they are around or less then the same price range of this CHINESE thing, Techmoan even had to back himself up with 4 more videos to support the fails of this camera, everything from not mentioning which SD cards, the filter screen falling of if not the camera as well due to a cheap double sided tape which holds the mouth, and i also had no idea the GPS is inside the mount (and btw i and 99 percent of the world already have gps on our phones) and no i dont know anyone who wants to use garbage ANDROID, most chinese developers are literally spying on us to rip everything off, you agree to allowing developers all access to your tablet or phone with android.

In the end of the day we are actually on the edge of seen great cameras at the 50 buck range this year., i give it a few more months and dashcams will reach 4k and wider lenses!

Hello.
I am from Germany and tried to convert the .gpx files to use it in Dashcam Viewer or others.
Now i have a workflow for me, maybe interesting for other users.

Got the free program "PlayOnMac.app" and installed the free Win Prog "GpsTrackEditor-1.15.141.exe" and import the .gpx and export as .nmea
Now the video can open in the free "Datakam Player.app" with correct GPS Infos. See screenshots
Dashcam Viewer can´t play the video (black screen), it have to be convert in a compatible format and then it work too.

Important the video and GPS must have the same name, copy the 2 files in the same directory, my GPX files had "_D" in the name, delete "_D" at the end and convert in .nmea

>OSX Sierra<

Datakam Player
aeq5jfzv.png

Dashcam Viewer
mtpbyrmi.png

Attachments

• DKP.png
    DKP.png
    487.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DCV.png
    DCV.png
    408.1 KB · Views: 0
I tried some more and tested the free version of OSX App RaceRender. http://racerender.com/Products/index.html
This Program add Overlays to your video, but can´t play the M6 video direct. It must be converted.
But sometimes it don´t like the gpx file and show a line and not the track.
I think i try it again when it is updated

-----

I use these programs:

1. Apple Finder, Rename the suffix .gpx in to .nmea
2. Open the video in -Datakam Player- and make a Screen capture only from the Map with -Quicktime-
3. Open the video in -Dashcam Viewer- and make a Screen capture only from the Dashboard with -Quicktime-

I load all in a video editor and have a video from my M6+ with coordinates compass and Map :D

You can use only step 1 and 3 and capture the map and dashboard from the Dashcam Viewer but I like the map from Datakam Player with the car on it ;)

This is what I want in my dashcam video (Date, Time, Speed, Coordinates, Map)

q2geaova.jpg

Attachments

• M6_GPS.png
    M6_GPS.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hello.

I made a Tutorial of my way to use the M6+ GPS Data
Maybe also useable for other Dashcams

I hope it´s useful for someone

I tried all this but it didn't work for me :( Using latest version of Dashcam viewer and on a Windows 7 PC.

What is the problem?
Is there a problem with your GPX file?
Send me a Link and i have a look at your GPX file
Or is there an issue playing the video?
Share me the file via mediafire.com or something
I try the files on my Win 7 PC

The video plays fine on dashcamviewer as I have mine set to record in HD. The problem is with the gps. I have renamed the files to .nmea, removed the unwanted text lines and the "_D" from the name and put it into the same file as the video file. Video plays but no gps. :(
I have the latest firmware in the cameras (3.3.3.0) and the latest version of the app (although I tend not to use the app much, I just used it for setting up the camera/formatting cards etc). Don't bother with the app on journeys.

I had another go. This time I edited only the first 3 files (out of sixteen) the rest I just changed the extension to .nmea and removed the "_D" (as I got fed up with the fiddly process of the text editing of the files and was interested to see if it made any differrence). Put them with their corresponding video files into one folder. SUCESS! they all worked, even the ones I didn't text edit. I must have done something wrong the first time, not what what though.

Mega thanks! Interestingly didn't need to text edit the files, only rename them taking out the "-D" changing the extension to .nmea

Back