Is there a Parking mode time setting?

raylo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am thinking about getting this cam and I looked at the manual and it doesn't discuss parking mode much at all. Since I sometimes park my daily driver vehicle for a up to a week at a time I am not interested in long duration parking mode since it would never go that long on the vehicle or a camera backup battery. So what I am interested in is setting a fixed duration that works when I am actually using my DD vehicle to allow parking mode for, say, 4 hours that would cover most parking situations, then terminate since I don't want to run the battery down to the limit. Or is there a setting to change the battery low voltage limit that would do similar? The manual doesn't discuss this either.

4 hours that would cover most parking situations, then terminate since I don't want to run the battery down to the limit. Or is there a setting to change the battery low voltage limit that would do similar? The manual doesn't discuss this either.
You can set 4 hours on the parking timer setting in the settings menu or app.

You can also set the battery low voltage limit on the HK3 hardwire kit, the highest voltage setting may give 4 hours, or 4 minutes, or some other time depending on the health and charge state of your battery, however for most people it can be used in the way you ask to give a very rough but acceptable 4-8 hour time.

Make sure you use the Viofo HK3 hardwire kit if you want to use parking mode.

Excellent, thanks. One more quick question... if you get a backup battery and don't limit the parking mode time will it stop when the backup battery is depleted or will it then draw from the vehicle's battery? I assume it is the former and that the backup battery only draws power from the vehicle to recharge when it is running. But I am not sure and the documentation is sparse.

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks. One more quick question... if you get a backup battery and don't limit the parking mode time will it stop when the backup battery is depleted or will it then draw from the vehicle's battery? I assume it is the former and that the backup battery only draws power from the vehicle to recharge when it is running. But I am not sure and the documentation is sparse.
That would depend on the backup battery and how the backup battery is connected to the car.

Normally you would still use the HK3 hardwire kit to connect the dashcam to the backup battery, and some backup batteries pass the ACC signal through to the HK3 to put the dashcam into parking mode when the ignition is turned off. But it would be up to the backup battery if it draws power for the dashcam from the car battery once the backup battery is empty (maybe an option on some backup batteries), and if the backup battery continues to charge after the ignition is off (very unlikely to be an option).

Yes, I would assume the ACC signal is passed through to put the cam in and out of parking mode. I would also assume that the acc signal would operate a relay in the backup battery to connect it to the car's system for charging when acc is "on" and disconnect it when acc is "off".... or at least that is how I would want it to work. IOW Take the vehicle battery out of play completely for parking mode.

Yes, I would assume the ACC signal is passed through to put the cam in and out of parking mode. I would also assume that the acc signal would operate a relay in the backup battery to connect it to the car's system for charging when acc is "on" and disconnect it when acc is "off".... or at least that is how I would want it to work. IOW Take the vehicle battery out of play completely for parking mode.
That is how dashcam backup batteries normally work, but it is worth checking that the one you are purchasing can actually do so.
Although they probably don't use relays, more likely solid state switches.

Back