Is there a standard length for overlap?

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
I am working a Linux script that joins two or more video, removing the first X seconds of each video where the camera produces overlap. When my mobius was my main camera, I would tediously cut in a graphical editor, but since I put an A118c2 at the back, I do this at the command line which is much faster. The script cuts the last 1 second and then joins all the files together to produce one file. But now that I am using my Mobius again and its minimum video length is 3 minutes and length of my A118c2 is 1 minutes, I am cutting the front one second.

I don't know why I thought the Mobius's overlap was 3 seconds, but it appears to be 1 second.

I was planning on writing it so adjusts to the camera model and applies the appropriate overlap length. But that does not appear to be necessary.

So my question, is one second the standard length for cameras that have overlap on consecutive clips?

1000 ms seem to be it.

Not sure if it is still there, but on the B1W i noticed a 1 frame overlap, this did seem strange as 1:30 second are not much in regard to make sure other things are done before you proceed.
On the other hand 1 frame are bearable if you dont remove it before playback as you dont really notice it.

I wrote 1000 ms at thats what i am used to enter in registrator viewer to take care of that problem, you could maybe use XX frames instead of a time frame.
So it should be like : If 1080/30 then remove 30 frames from start of file, or If 1080/60 remove 60 frames from start of file.
But maybe a time frame like 1 second are more universal.

Dunno what is more easy and as you can see i have absolutely no grasp on programming.

@jokiin point about the processor results in the benefit of making this script being useful for both non overlaping and overlaping cameras without manual modification each time I use it on files from a different camera from the previous time I used it.

The early version of the script was strictly for the a118c2 (overlaping) as I needed to cut the 1 second from each clip and made temporary files. There is no such need to make temporary files for my a119 (non overlaping) and just join the clips. I had a script that joins overlaping, but not non-overlaping and had to cut and paste two commands that do that when using my a119. Its more complicated for overaaping and thus the linux bash script. I needed a script for the same thing for mobius as it also has a 1 second overlap, but a different length of video. So the script was modified to remove the start of the file and not the rear to get around the different duration (1 minute and 3 minutes) for the three cameras.

I thought it would be a good idea to make the script useful for both overlaping and non overlaping clips, and having a variable that I would state if it was overlapping or not

If running on my A118c2 or Mobius

Code:
overlapping=yes

If using on my A119, I would set overlapping to no.

@jokiin point about processor made me think. ffprobe more or less points out the processor or camera model and I can have the script determine the whole overlaping /non overlaping thing for me. FFprobe gives "Novatek-96650" when used on files coming from my a118c2. The script is now programmed to determine which one of my three camera was used and then acts accordingly on the overlapping matter.

Not sure if it is still there, but on the B1W i noticed a 1 frame overlap, this did seem strange as 1:30 second are not much in regard to make sure other things are done before you proceed.

Do you have ffmpeg on your computer? If so, I can include reference to the B1W, but I would set it as non overlaping as it is only 1 frame.

Windows
Code:
ffprobe -v error -show_entries format YOURFILENAME
Look for the comment line, or "original_format"

Linux
Code:
ffprobe -v error -show_entries format YOURFILENAME| grep TAG:comment=

@jokiin point about processor made me think. ffprobe more or less points out the processor or camera model and I can have the script determine the whole overlaping /non overlaping thing for me. FFprobe gives "Novatek-96650" when used on files coming from my a118c2. The script is now programmed to determine which one of my three camera was used and then acts accordingly on the overlapping matter.

nice result, well done :)

It appears the overlaping matter will need to manually addressed for some cameras. The G1WC and Iroad 3300ch do NOT provide a comment line in ffprobe's format section, unlike the A118c2, A119 and Mobius.

I had a G1WC for a couple of days (gave to a family member that requested I buy her a dash cam) and the iroad I do not use as frequently now that I have a A119 at the front and a118c2 at the rear. So for myself I am going to keep as having the script do the appropriate action, but if I provide the script to others on this forum, I will need to account for the overlaping matter; giving instructions what to do if the camera does NOT produce a useful line under "ffprobe -v error -show_entries format YOURFILENAME"

Back