Is there a way to save a file without the speed, position, etc on the bottom strip?

Velvetfoot

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know they could be removed in the unit, but I wonder what program could be used after the fact.
I think I was able to do this with the Kenwood viewer

I assume you can crop the bottom out using any video editor, but i am not sure if it is a general feature in dedicated dashcam players.
Not sure why you would do that, at least if we takl footage you want to use as evidense, cuz i am sure the parts involved will insist it is raw and unaltered footage if they are going to take it serious.

It would be very easy to do in the video editing software i use, it is pretty much just like rezising a window on the computer, just grab a corner and resize to what you like.

Or you can use a video editor to put a black box over the bottom, maybe with some alternative text in it, like subtitles.

Nearly all video editors should be able to do this.

...but I wonder what program could be used after the fact.
As @kamkar1 already alluded to, if you want to use the video for any official/legal purpose you have to provide unedited, original video files. Why are you wanting to remove the information?

For the looks i assume, which are also fine.
And while i do enjoy a nice drive video from a nice spot, then i would not be able to do that if it was made on a dashcam, they are simply not good enough for that.
Putting my dji osmo action on the windscreen, and letting it film blow any dashcam of mine out of the water for cinematic value, but it is also churning out 4K/60 at 100 mbit ( and thats actually on the low end of what you would want for 4K/60 and fast paced footage, 200 mbit would be better.

My DJI OA camera are also lesser FOV, i just have the bottom of my windscreen and no A pillars, and it could be even lesser FOV if just used for drive videos.

If your source video are good, youtube also tend to screw it up less, but their further recording do reveal any imperfections, cuz what is a little blocking in your raw footage, youtube will turn that into mind craft looking video.

I've been looking at a lot of dashcam videos on YouTube for laughs.
I thought that if ever I see something significant enough to post, I'd want a good bit of that info removed.
I have totally no experience with video editors.
Can anyone recommend one?

I am using cyberlink power director 17 ultimate ( at version 18 now ) it got most of the bells and whistles if you should want to go further with video production some day.
It is fairly east to work with, and for it you will also fine many tutorials on youtube.
It also is in a 365 version, meaning it can do even more, but then it is not a one time price but rather a monthly fee, but i am more than good with the 1 time purchase.
Comparison page: https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-video-editing-software/comparison_en_EU.html if you scroll down you will see the technical stuff the ultra or ultimate have all the bells and whistles.

For instance you dont have to cut the bottom of the video, you can just blur it out.

There also is Davinci resolve which are just as big if not bigger, the massive software are actually free, but it is a PRO piece of kit so you will need to sit thru a few how to videos on youtube to get the basics, but really you should do that with any program.

You will find many a video on youtube comparing / telling which are the best paid or free video editors.

Back