Is there a way to use Sony's DSC-RX0M2 as a dashcam?

jsan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I always wished I could use GoPro as a dashcam because of its great video quality while having a ultra wide angle lens. I even bought a module GoPro Hero 4 back in the day, that allowed the camera to power on and start recording when it received power (ie ignition turned on). It still had the drawback of recording the looped videos, where it wouldn't delete or overwrite the old videos.

Does this Sony camera allow for dashcam mode? or are there any hacks available to turn it onto a dashcam?

I guess the main requirements are:

Turn on and start recording when the key is turned on, and stop recording with key off. And also looped recording.

CmX0e5C.jpeg

That is never going to make a great dashcam, it is a movie camera, it has the wrong sensor and wrong lens for dashcam use.
Might do better than a GoPro, but what is it that you are trying to achieve? Do you want a dash cam, or a movie cam?

The Sony RXO II has a reputation for getting very hot during extended use, plus it uses a battery, not a super-capacitor. Even if you could get it to work it would not make for a good dash camera.

The Sony RXO II also happens to be a $700.00 camera. It is a specialty professional action/cinematography camera built to very high standards and durability. You'd be much better off just investing in a decent dash cam for a fraction of the price.

I'm also looking at this option but for commercial use case. For 2 main reasons,
1. The 1" sensor this camera uses provides exceptional image quality in full color, even in very low light. Maybe better than anything else on the market? - and a very decent resolution.
2. USB streaming is also possible with this camera (probably with limited resolution) - so you can get the images to a computer or a smartphone in 'real-time' via cable.

Further, It also has the ability to get power via USB. So it seems you can use a USB cable to provide power and get images.

But there are some drawbacks like price and lack of common mounting accessories. Is there an alternative that allows for USB streaming with similar low-light capabilities as the RXO ii?

Back