Is there any decent camera with IR lights for recording in the cab?

heyimjason

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've tried out a few dual channel cameras, and while they're ok during the day, it's really hard to make out anything in the cab when it's dark. I need something that will allow me to clearly see the inside of my cab at night in case I'm robbed or have any other issues.

I'd prefer a dual channel camera, but if they make a single camera system that does the job well, I wouldn't mind getting that and just using my dual channel system for the front and rear of the car.

I've done a lot of searches and can't seem to come up with anything. There just doesn't seem to be much emphasis on clear day/night recording inside of the vehicle, which strikes me as odd, considering how many thousands of cabbies and rideshare people there are.

So... any help? I'd like to try to keep it under or around $100, but could go a bit higher for a dual channel setup.

Carcamcentral.com is currently reviewing "taxi cams". Not sure how far along he is though. @AndrewL

Thinkware make an IR Camera for Internal Recording that will plug into the X550 or F750/F770 models. So you would have the Main camera attached to windscreen as normal then a cable approx 18" in length coming from that camera to where you position the internal camera. May need a larger memory card than what comes with the camera depending how much recording time you need.

http://thinkwaredashcam.uk/product/ir-camera/

I dont have much fait in cameras with 2 - 4 IR LEDs, if they had the same 50.000 mcd output the 5 mm white LEDs we use for light on the RC trucks, then it would be fine for a car cabin, but it dont seem like IR LEDs have that kind of power.
If the camera support IR and go into B&W mode like a proper CCTV camera, then i would back it up with a additional IR emitter, and those you can get a lot off on ebay and so on, just be sure to get one with a hefty spread on the beam.

The Transcend DrivePro 520 often pop up but really its build in LEDs are too weak only capturing the driver

But paired with a additional stronger IR light it should work just fine for the whole cabin.

If you already have a Thinkware or Blackvue 2-Channel camera, you might be able to just buy the infrared rear camera.
Blackvue's is only a 720P but it works very well in my opinion

Back