Is there such a thing as a dashcam with a true Collision Avoidance System (CAS)?

I don't think we would be seeing LDWS and the like built into dashcams if it wasn't already build into the processors/firmware because of the potentially massively profitable sales to the automotive market because of the extra star points for E-NCAP and the like.

If the processor companies for dashcams are driven to add a essentially worthless and possibly distracting "gimmick" simply to score extra "safety" points, then the scoring system needs to be reevaluated.

Collision avoidance and lane departure warning systems are valid goals, but I just do not see it coming in the form of a dashcam. Why bother scoring something that really will not work in the first place? So far it has just driven the processor manufacturers to move in a artificial direction.

EDIT: At least when it comes to the current generation of dashcams. There could be other applications that we have not considered where having this functionality in the processor would make sense.

Personally i think that if one needs collision warning systems or whatever he or she should not drive any kind of vehicle on public roads.
Seriously.
"WARNING: You are driving faster than the speed limit"
"WARNING: You are too close to the car in front of you"
"WARNING: You are changing lanes without signalling"
"WARNING: Let's face reality. You are a really lousy driver!!!" :eek:

A crafty man will allways find a way to bypass a system that bother him, thats one of the reasons cheating on taxes are the national sport here.

I an having a hard time dealing with ABS - ESP and all the other c..p in my car, i really dont feel like i need it, and i feel it is slowly making me a bad driver.
I do like airbags even after i just within the last 4-5 years have started to use a seatbelt, but its a passive tech so i can deal with those.
Things that turn on the light ( witch are supposed to be on all the time here ) and wipers is just BS tech in my eyes.

If they should make somthing smart that will without a doubt be a lifesaver, it should be cars that will not start before all cellphones in the car is turned off.

Personally i think that if one needs collision warning systems or whatever he or she should not drive any kind of vehicle on public roads.
Seriously.
I agreed with you. Even today no collision warning systems, peoples still do crazy stuffs like phone while drving, speeding no seatbelt etc. Imaging having that system, things could get worse.

The crappy company I work for has a collision avoidance system added to all the trucks at the factory. Meritor Onguard.
I have the same opinion, if you need one of these, you should not be driving.
The only novelty feature I find amusing is the readout of the distance to the vehicle ahead of you. (Somewhat accurate to within a few feet.) The thing beeps if you get too close to the vehicle ahead of you, and will actually start braking if you get too close. Some of the drivers claim it will lock the brakes up, but it actually only is capable of applying something like 50% of the potential braking force. They also claim it will get you in trouble on icy or wet roads, but if you are driving in a manner that will set this damn thing off in those conditions, you were in trouble, anyway.

I don't like it, don't need it, but can live with it. (Until it malfunctions, then it disables my cruise control.)

Oh yeah, while they claim it has reduced the amount of rear end accidents the company has, the idiots still manage to run into vehicles ahead of them.

A feature along these lines I would like to see would be based on IR technology. A warning system that would warn if and when there was a warm "anything" a head of you. Not too practical in a city and would need a switch to turn it off but in the country might prevent running into a moose or the back end of a car in heavy fog or a snow storm.

There's supposed to be a advanced Collision Avoidance System built into the nut holding the steering wheel, if it's not working properly remove the car from the road as soon as possible!

There's supposed to be a advanced Collision Avoidance System built into the nut holding the steering wheel, if it's not working properly remove the car from the road as soon as possible!
Cute.:) But even the best Collision Avoidance System can be improved by technology.

that may be true, but that tech won't come in the shape of a dashcam attached to your windshield. it has to be baked into the car itself by the manufacturer.
I disagree. Technology is baked into the high end cars long before it becomes available to the "common" folk. In the meantime.. clever people invent things that we common folk can add to our windshield.. or other parts of the car to get some semblance of that "expensive" feature. I remember well adding cruise control (Toyota Tercell station wagon).. side window defroster (1952 Chev HT)..a manual choke.. turn signal lights.. electric windshield wipers (1946 Chevy truck)

... clever people invent things that we common folk can add to our windshield.....
Nothing you can attach to your windshield will be able to apply the brakes or turn the steering wheel - best it will be able to do is 'beep' and possibly flash a light.

Yeah !
The Ausdom A261 apparently has collision warning and lane departure ..
This I would assume will depend very much on how well it is set up (?)

But as mentioned , we humans have two things built into our own system . A set of eyes to capture visual data and a Brain to process said data .
And if these are malfunctioning then I dont know how a dashcam is going to help ?

A little like people driving into a lake or river because their GPS said so ( ????????????????????????????/ )
Obviously in such a case it is not the GPS at fault ( OK it is ) , but also a serious failure with the human components .
The eyes for failing to see the lack of a road , and the brain for failing to process said information .

And when there is a failure in the human components , I can only see the dashcam recording the failure possibly for posterity ! ( If not for youtube or the 6 0 clock news )

I.. am just saying an alarm system that would warn with a beep or lights when there is a "warm" something ahead of you.... Could.. prevent you from running into a moose or the back of a truck in a snow storm.

I live near Liverpool in the UK and would be seriously worried if I came across a moose, but we do get a lot of hedgehogs running into the road so a collision avoidance system tuned to hedgehogs may be of interest lol

I.. am just saying an alarm system that would warn with a beep or lights when there is a "warm" something ahead of you.... Could.. prevent you from running into a moose or the back of a truck in a snow storm.

Hmmm , Im not sure the cam can see further than you can ..
There are cars that come with crash avoidance ( Automatic breaking )
But as mentioned the Ausdom A261 has crash avoidance ( I havent tried it ) as well lane departure .. ( If you fall asleep at the wheel it might help )
My G90 has lane departure , and its seriously annoying .. ( Cam dont know why your changing lanes ) , but it works .
So I guess the crash avoidance built into the A261 might work as well .

Hmmm , Im not sure the cam can see further than you can ..
If.. they have devices that can detect the heat of a body from a helicopter.. a civilian version capable of looking ahead 100 yards, might be affordable.. eventually
There are cars that come with crash avoidance ( Automatic breaking )
I would love to be at one of those test sites where they make the commercials and throw a handful of sand 30 feet short of the barricade. I can't wait for the law suit when on solid ice a car equipped with crash avoidance slides into a building.. Automatic braking is one of those dumber ideas.. along the lines of driver-less cars. Drivers are lulled into sleep easily enough already.. lets not make it easier.

Hmmmm , ABS , Stability Control , Launch Control , Lane departure warning , and now crash avoidance .
Yes , computers are taking over ..
Though Im sure most of these can be turned off ( except ABS , dont think you can turn off ABS )
And Stability Control (?) can that be turned off on all makes .
Yes car makers are trying to counter the shortfalls in Humans ..

Though I dare say Crash avoidance probably comes with ABS and stability control ..
So which does the better job ? , the human or the computer ?
One only needs to look at modern fighter jets , without computerized stability control , they would be unflyable by humans .

Back