Is there such a thing as a RELIABLE dash cam?

ichudov

Reaction score
Country
United States
I went through two dash cams. One was called "Ausdom" and another "Vacron". I was not paying much attention when purchasing.

Both died in 1-2 months of use and it was not even summer. At first I thought that it was a stroke of bad luck.

When, later, I tried to research dashcams to buy one more, I looked at reviews more closely. What turned out was that 1) all these dashcams are essentially unbranded cams and 2) most good reviews are from recent purchases and 3) most bad reviews report these cameras dying, trashing SD cards and so on, mirroring my experience.

So, my question is, is there such a thing as a decently reliable dashcam, with identifiable manufacturer?

Secondly, SD cards seem to be a weak spot for dash cams, due to use of FAT filesystem, lack of wear leveling and so on.

Is there a dash cam that does not have such problems, does not use junk batteries, junk chipsets and so on.

I do not particularly care about features. All I want is reliable recording, not having to fuss with the camera when the car starts, and ability to copy videos without use of any custom software, right from the SD cards or whatever.

Thanks a lot.

the memory card is a weak link with any camera, not related to the file system but rather the conditions they get used in, opinions will vary wildly about what is or isn't a reliable product but any brand (regardless of price) will have some percentage of faulty product

So, my question is, is there such a thing as a decently reliable dashcam, with identifiable manufacturer?.....

Mobius, Street Guardian, and Viofo are 3 manufacturer's that seem to be fairly reliable - at least based on feedback on this forum. Plus there's reasonable support here as well.

Secondly, SD cards seem to be a weak spot for dash cams, due to use of FAT filesystem, lack of wear leveling and so on.....
Brand name quality cards have wear leveling incorporated in the controller logic so that should not be an issue. Using cheap, internet sourced cards and you take your chances.

OK, great. I appreciate your input.

I have some money to burn. I would really like to avoid buying counterfeit dash cams or memory cards. I would like to give this street guardian and a decent SD card, a try. Where would I buy it online to avoid accidentally buying a counterfeit.

Also, is there a mount that would let me take it from vehicle to vehicle easily (such as a stand). I have a car but also drive one of three trucks on any given day, as I have an industrial machinery business.

Thanks

I have some money to burn. I would really like to avoid buying counterfeit dash cams or memory cards. I would like to give this street guardian and a decent SD card, a try. Where would I buy it online to avoid accidentally buying a counterfeit. Thanks
Pretty sure most SG cameras come with an approved SD card.

I have some money to burn. I would really like to avoid buying counterfeit dash cams or memory cards. I would like to give this street guardian and a decent SD card, a try. Where would I buy it online to avoid accidentally buying a counterfeit.

Also, is there a mount that would let me take it from vehicle to vehicle easily (such as a stand). I have a car but also drive one of three trucks on any given day, as I have an industrial machinery business.

Thanks
US distributor: http://streetguardianusa.com/ he also sells on Amazon. Contact him here on DCT. @Street Guardian USA

I bought one SG with a SD card. Thanks a lot.

I have a question. Is there a stand-up car mount that stands on the dashboard. I want to move this camera from vehicle to vehicle with ease. Thanks

I have a question. Is there a stand-up car mount that stands on the dashboard. I want to move this camera from vehicle to vehicle with ease. Thanks
Which SG camera did you order?

My Jaewonic Iroad started experiencing problems after two years of use. I also see a fair bit of electronic equipment start to fail after three years, so I asked if other users had problems
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...am-work-as-well-now-as-it-did-on-day-1.28449/

As expected, most people with major brands aren't having any problems. I have a Mobius and bought an a119 a few months ago - so that's good news.

Last edited:

Good choice - but then I might be biased. :rolleyes:

That camera mounts directly to the windshield - nothing available to mount it on the dashboard. You really don't want to do that as it's generally better to have the camera mounted high versus low. It comes with 2 mounting plates (thick and thin) in the box so you could always use one of them in a second vehicle. Swapping the power cord between 2 vehicles will be a consideration as well but you could always buy a second one if you want and have one in each.

Or, you could always buy a second camera for the second vehicle. ;):D

You could try govisionusa's GVDC series but i personally suggest
gv-agdc15
Cost is at $79.95 . I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 4
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 5
I love and find my thinkware f770 reliable, but a bit overpriced, worth it though in my opinion.

Back