Is there such thing as a side view dashcam? (For your car doors)

omgomgomgsecurity

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all, just wondering if there is such thing as a side view dash cam that will watch the sides of your car? Like the doors and stuff

Not a dedicated one, but there is a fjew that is suited for that due to ther size.
I have a innovv C3 sitting in the Right rear door, right at the top and as forward as i can have it, sitting there i assume ppl wont bump it with ther head getting in and out of the car.
But its a outright guess as i allmost never have ppl on my rear seat or the 2 rear doors open for that matter.
The C3 have some issues so i cant really recoment it ATM, but another good choice would be the Street Guardian SGZC12RC, but that too have some problems with focus, but i think new lens units is right around the corner and on the way to the ppl who allready have one.
New cameras sold after some date soon should all be with the updated lens assembly so there should be no problems with that going forward.
Another good option is the bulletHD bike camera
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...stant-motorcycle-dashcam-novatek-96655.12423/

It too have a little camera on a wire, its even waterproof if you feel like DIY a little and build it into your side mirrors.

A fair warning there is no wipres on side windows and water tend to linger there when its wet, so some form of nano stuff on the windows to make water run off faster is a good idea.

What you want to look for is a small camera as there is little room to give in the side windows.

My C3 in the rear door window.
WP_20150125_005%5B1%5D_big_thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking on that when i put the C3 in my car cuz i have such a little window on the front doors, but i was affraid the mirrors would fill up the most of the footage.
BUT the idea is a valid one :)
On the driver side i use to have a suction cup holder for my SGS2 smartphone, nice and handy and i could even take a call with both hands on the wheel.

I run side cameras at all times these days. There are many different ways to do it, some more discreet than others. I've been experimenting with different cameras and set-ups for awhile now. You certainly don't need to go out and buy a 200 dollar SGZC12RC. For example, a Mobius camera with the remote lens option is an excellent inexpensive method to do a very discreet installation. A mini 0806 also works well as a side window cam. In my case, I have an extended cab pick-up truck and the cameras are mounted on the upper frame of the rear windows (which do not open or close). These windows are very darkly tinted so that the cameras are not easy to see from outside the vehicle in most lighting conditions and when they are visible they are usually in silhouette so unless you know what you are looking at, it is difficult to tell what they are. I especially value side cams when I am parked and away from my vehicle.

Left side - Mobius camera (B lens option) - while parked
leftmobius.jpg

Right side - Customized G1W-H - parked at the local Walmart
rightG1WH.jpg

Main Street - while driving - right side
street.jpg

GT680W used in the rear right window (stopped at a red light). This camera can also be customized to have a discreet remote lens option.
680.jpg

Last edited:
Yes forgot mobius, it do quite well in my rear window, and even without the lens extension its a pretty small camera.
If you can get a mobius up high in the side window it will do well, the mobius is only 12 - 15 mm thick ( i think )

PS. no one say you have to film at a 90 deg angle out the window, you can angle the camera towards the front or rear depending on where you put it.
Just remember these normally carry a pretty wide angle lens, so if you angle them too much you will start to get the inside of the car in frame too.

There's a helmet mount available for the Mobius that makes a terrific low profile adjustable mount that's ideal for an installation like this. All you need to do is remove the elastic head strap that comes with it, add some 3M VHB tape and you're good to go.

Last edited:
PS. no one say you have to film at a 90 deg angle out the window, you can angle the camera towards the front or rear depending on where you put it.
Just remember these normally carry a pretty wide angle lens, so if you angle them too much you will start to get the inside of the car in frame too.

I find that aiming the side cameras slightly forward so that their FOV just begins to overlap the FOV from my front camera I can usually obtain pretty good near seamless coverage. When coupled with the view from the Mobius cam I have facing out the rear of my vehicle it provides nearly full 360 coverage around my vehicle with only small gaps. This works in part because it is a pick-up truck.

yeah much depend on the car at hand, my little suzuki feel really good when it come to installing dashcams, plenty of room in front of RVM - wiper on rear window, and its a 5 door and i only use 1 on a regular basis so most options are open in the sides too :)

Last edited:
Here are a couple of amusing side camera captures from yesterday. The camera is a mini-0806 mounted at the top of the rear door frame of my access cab pick-up truck behind stationary dark tinted glass.
The guy is checking out all the stuff on my back seat just after parking his vehicle. Interestingly, he doesn't notice the camera at all even though it is right in front of his face. The tinted glass is doing its job hiding the camera and it is performing well even though it is beginning to get dark out. This is a small example of why I love having side cameras running when I am away from my vehicle.

sidecam.jpg

sidecam2.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, if anyone should doubt the value of a side facing camera, especially considering the prospect of someone damaging or tampering with your vehicle from one side or the other, note how well my side camera captured the above guy's license plate number as he enters the parking space.

sidecam3.jpg

Last edited:
not to mention it'll clearly show that a driver was messing with their phone while they sideswiped you.

I see that all the time around here and using any kind of hand held device while driving became illegal in my state as of October 1st.

If I had to fit one in my car, I’d go for something like kamkar1 as linked to, now if that DVR came with a longer lead, my plan would be to drill a hole in the door mirror housing, large enough for the small lens poke out of but still keep it flush with the mirror housing

I've been experimenting with a cam which peeps through a small window in the A-pillar.

Front cam saw the first three, A-pillar cam saw the last three. Nothing happened here and the drivers of other vehicles did nothing wrong (cars had been parked close to the junction and the Range Rover had to go around them to exit the junction), but sharp bends on rural roads are potential danger spots with vehicles approaching from outside the front cam's field of view. The front cam in this instance is relatively wide-angle, claiming 154 degrees, and is certainly the widest angle cam I have at the moment.

-

-

Here are a couple of amusing side camera captures from yesterday. The camera is a mini-0806 mounted at the top of the rear door frame of my access cab pick-truck behind stationary dark tinted glass.

What model dash cam are you using for the front, back, and sides?

Back