Is this a good dash cam?

Not the same. Spytek is an A119, VIOFO is A119S.
Ditto- the "S" suffix denotes the Sony sensor version which does cost more.

Phil

Oh man seems like I bought it at a wrong time :( Viofo a129 might be coming out.
go to 5:50 mark
I hope it comes within 30 days so I can return this.

The next big thing are always just over the horizon, take comfort in any dashcam are better than no dashcam.

I wish they would add support for usb c. usb mini is outdated and barely anyone carries them and if they do its very short like 2 ft so I have to buy from amazon and even though I only use that for the dash cam it gets annoying because its not a universal plug. I have my dash cam mounted in my car and work truck from the top to the A pillar to the cig outlet but I like my work truck cig outlet better since its active 24/7.

Before you tell me I know they have adapters that has a usb c to usb mini but I don't like to use adapters in cables like this.

I only have USB C on my phone but i love it and would like to see it more places, also as you can flip it like that, you could provide a power wire with a bend in it and as you can flip USB C then no matter how you install your camera you can turn the USB C plug so it suit you best.
The micro USB wire i currently use to test the B1W have a 90 degree bend, but as i cant turn the plug as i like the wire come off the camera in a unfortunate way, using USB C would have nullified that problem.

If yoy have ordered the 119S then the 129 model dont sound like it is any significant upgrade.

Are these dash cams like require a specific charger? When I tired 2 diffferent car chargers the have problem staying on but when I try the viofo car charger it works. How come other car chargers don’t work.

Are these dash cams like require a specific charger? When I tired 2 diffferent car chargers the have problem staying on but when I try the viofo car charger it works. How come other car chargers don’t work.
Make sure the charger puts out at least 1A. Other chargers should work fine, they just need to put out enough power.

Make sure the charger puts out at least 1A. Other chargers should work fine, they just need to put out enough power.
I have a charger that puts out 1 amp and 2.1 amp. Other stuff chargers fine. I tried connecting just the viofo and even still it keeps turning on and off. I know it can’t be my charger because I tried 2 different chargers and 2 different usb built in charger.

Seems your car's 12V socket's diameter is a little wide for the chargers you've tried.

They come in two sizes

From Wikipedia -

12-volt cigarette lighter receptacle and plug, size A
  • Receptacle inside diameter: 20.93–21.01 mm (median 20.97 mm)
  • Plug body diameter: 20.73–20.88 mm (median 20.805 mm)
  • Most often used in American automobiles
12-volt cigarette lighter receptacle and plug, size B
  • Receptacle inside diameter: 21.41–21.51 mm (median 21.455 mm)
  • Plug body diameter: 21.13–21.33 mm (median 21.18 mm)

Hmm I tried the same cig charger from my personal car in my work truck and it did not work. Is it the usb mini cable? I just bought it because the dash cam I had before this acted like this so I returned it.

use the supplied charger, why persist with a charger that doesn't power the camera correctly, yes the cameras are USB powered but that doesn't mean any USB supply will be suitable, a lot of USB power supplies are inadequate

inadequate

Even if writing on them or in the manual suggest otherwise, its like the 4K thing, people put buzz words on the product to make it sell better, which it probably do as we people are also bad shoppers.

Even if writing on them or in the manual suggest otherwise, its like the 4K thing, people put buzz words on the product to make it sell better, which it probably do as we people are also bad shoppers.

that's quite true, a lot of the power supplies sold don't put out what the specs suggest, voltage sag under load is an issue, many are too low amperage also

even if I took the cig charger from my car and it doesn't seem to work in my work truck. I don't get it its brand new 2017 tacoma to with 14k miles. I had it since 14 miles and haven't done anything to it. You know what saddens me the most, is that a119s doesn't have a camera to record inside and there is no way I can get an add on because there is no way to put a 2nd one because I wanted 1 sd card to get 2 videos if 2 cameras are in use. I just watched this video and had she not had the video she would of lost the ticket had she received it.

I am getting mad because of usb mini. I am going to return it because I can not seem to buy the right usb mini for it for use in my work truck. No other usb mini has worked and I have tried 2 different types from same brand and I can't try on anything else as I have nothing with a usb mini which sucks because this is a great camera. Such a shame they could not make it more convenient because I really love it but looks like time for me to look for a dash cam with a usb micro as I know usb c is not used in all dash cam. Until they make it usb micro or usb c compatible then I am saying bye bye to a great dash cam because I am not going to spend the rest of my life worrying and wondering which usb mini will work. Like I said the original usb mini works but if I try any other usb mini I get distorted color and for some reason the dash cam turns on and off.

Like I said the original usb mini works but if I try any other usb mini I get distorted color and for some reason the dash cam turns on and off.

that is likely a voltage drop issue, connector type won't make a difference if the power supply isn't up to the task

Yesterday i tried the B1W on a 1 A output of a dual USB plug ( 1 A + 2 A ) the 1 A dident work only gave a faint glow of B1W power LED, changing to the 2 A port and then the camera worked.

On the right PSU i had no problem with the cameras i have used Using the micro USB plug, same goes for mini USB though i did have a flaky rear camera once on the end of a 5 M long USB wire of poor quality, and it only booted as it pleased and made me miss me getting rear ended.
Since then i been very aware of the power supplies and wires i use, and that long USB wire when strait in the trash, good or better USB wire i would not use a long one like that again.

EDIT: I have other 1 A outputs on other PSUs apparently of better quality cyz they pull a dashcam with no problems.

Last edited:
Wow it finally works after multiple usb mini from amazon. I hate viofo for not thinking of putting a car charger+wire and another wire just encase you want to switch cars... Its not like people only own 1 car.

Back