is this action camera real 720p

action camera

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
so i bought this cheap action camera of everbuying.com i paid 19.27usd as i used some points and a 8% off coupon to get 38% off the price

i got the camera about 5months ago and have just done 2 sample rec here are still images form the 480p and 720p video i have this clip too
i have filmed other clips that do look ok but really can't tell if its really 720p i do have other recording if you need more sample clips

480p
image.jpg

720p
image.jpg

i did not change any of the cameras settings
also is a real 16:9 or is it just cropping 4:3 to 16:9

thanks

Last edited:
Outside it looks quite good for the price, especially the colour. Colours are useless inside, but action cameras are designed for use outside.

Hard to confirm 720 but I guess it is.

Remember that action cameras are fixed focus, anything less than 1 meter away will be out of focus so those indoor images are too close. You would be better off using a phone for that sort of shot.

Outside it looks quite good for the price, especially the colour. Colours are useless inside, but action cameras are designed for use outside.

Hard to confirm 720 but I guess it is.

Remember that action cameras are fixed focus, anything less than 1 meter away will be out of focus so those indoor images are too close. You would be better off using a phone for that sort of shot.

thanks

i have filmed other clips that do look ok but really can't tell if its really 720p
What makes you say it's 720p and not 1080p? What resolution settings does the camera have?
Have you checked the file properties? That'll tell you what the resolution is.

What makes you say it's 720p and not 1080p? What resolution settings does the camera have?
Have you checked the file properties? That'll tell you what the resolution is.

the max res the camera will record is 720p but i wanted to know if its just upscaled to 720p or if it was a true 720p

It's seems to be a wider field of view, (assuming you held the camera in the same place). If so, it's definitely not cropping a 480p video.

the max res the camera will record is 720p but i wanted to know if its just upscaled to 720p or if it was a true 720p
It's true 720p, for sure, even for that price. I've never heard of upscaled 480p cameras. That doesn't mean they haven't existed but the chipset must be so old I doubt anyone would be using it these days.

It's true 720p, for sure, even for that price. I've never heard of upscaled 480p cameras. That doesn't mean they haven't existed but the chipset must be so old I doubt anyone would be using it these days.

they're out there, and still in use

The f70/i1000 dashcam uses a VGA sensor and upscales to 720 and then flat out lies about having 1080p.

The f70/i1000 dashcam uses a VGA sensor and upscales to 720 and then flat out lies about having 1080p.
Really? I thought it was true 720p. At least that's what it says on DCT's review.

You wouldn't believe what googling "F70" came up with: slight mental retardation! :D:D:D

Really? I thought it was true 720p. At least that's what it says on DCT's review.
When I compared them in my unit, there only difference I could tell between 720p and 640*480 was aspect ratio. 720p simply cuts off the top and bottom edges the frame. There was no more detail than at VGA. So I left it in VGA mode to keep files smaller and to be able to see higher in the frame to see things like traffic lights.

Back