Is this mirror camera any good?

TheRookie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
AllWinner A10 Mirror, Aiptel GS 372 (Papago), Cowon AW1
I am on a market for reasonably-specced mirror camera. The reason why it got to be mirror-style camera is that my car is a coupe so rear visibility is horrendous. The idea is to get one of those mirror dashcams and use it for dual-purpose: as a dashcam and as a display for rear-view camera.

At present I have two cameras: one unkbranded Allwinner-based piece of er... you know what, in which I had to modify electronics to make it usable. Another one is A118C B40, which is an OK device.

I know that the typical response would probably be "forget about it - all mirror dashcams are crap!" but will try nevertheless.

I saw in Argos catalog a camera called Streetwize SWREC4: http://www.streetwizeaccessories.co...eras/132/all-categories/0/0/?page=1&catid=132. The same camera cost about 45 quid in EuroCarParts (after a discount).
The camera seem to be similar to this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B014GQDW9E
The question is: is it a complete waste of time or is it useful? The reviews seem to be concentrating on user manual (or rather lack of thereof), not on video quality.

What do you think?

Is there a mirror dash cam, which is not AllWinner-based? What about Abeo?

the majority are Allwinner but there are some others, I don't know of any that use higher end solutions though, it's all predominantly entry level spec stuff

I've seen several examples based on NT96655 chipset. Do you know if it worth investigating these?

On a separate topic - is there any difference between A118 B40, C10S and DVRD07 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B015FFJIWA

these mirror based products are all made for the domestic market, the standards aren't too high on any I've ever seen, personally I think the camera in a mirror is very hard to do right

your link was broken so not sure what exact models you're comparing, DVRD07 has no relationship to the others you mentioned, don't know who makes that

Glass thickness Usually Won't meet DOT in North America and won't have any proper glass dimming options for bright headlights behind you at night. (Double safety issues) the antireflective coatings as a work around are terrible IMO.

I use a full 7 inch display and distance marked waterproof camera on the rear..

unless you ve used one its difficult to see the incredible advantages and I would hate to be without mine...

At £35 the link you put up is an absolute steal and will give clear enough footage for reversing and evidence that will stand the test of any insurance claim or court ... and is a very stealthy neat fit.

In reality that's all anyone NEEDS ..

Sorry about the broken link. I'll try again:
www.amazon.co.uk/CAR-Recorder-G-sensor-Detection-Without/dp/B015FFJIWA/

I am not worried about auto-dimming feature at all as I only see it as a marketing gimmick. In any case the car I am going to fit the camera hasn't got auto-dimming mirror.

I totally agree on subject of rear view cameras. I have it in my wife's Prius and she is using it all the time. In fact she said that I she is not going to buy any car that doesn't have rear view camera in it.

Not only no Automatic dimming but no Manual dimmer as well

I wouldn't count on that last amazon link being heat tolerant. It will potentially suffer heat related focus shift first extra hot summer day. It also uses a battery instead of a capacitor which is also a no no for a permanently installed DashCam

Yes, totally forgot about heat though England is rarely hot enough to think about it.
As to dimming - manual or not, I simply see it as a marketing gimmick and don't give a hoot about it, sorry :)

And one last question - is Matego MG800 any good? It is sold in the UK by Digi4U (https://www.digi4u.co.uk/mg-800-4-3...irror-hd-dvr-car-black-box-camera-for-drving/).
It got capacitor instead of battery. I've never heard of either Matego or Digi4u though.

I'm not a fan of clip on mirrors myself. I wouldn't expect the best night performance with that model, it's also limited to 32GB max.

Video quality seem to be quite impressive:

I know that all these videos were made by sellers but it still look much better than my SpyTec A40 B118C

if you are buying for uk RHD keep an eye out as they are designed for LHD cars and at 300mm wide they can struggle to fit between sun visors !

There is an ir0 50 1080 front 1080 rear for sale for half that price,,, but the seller is "busy" and forgetful !!!

Are you talking about this?
https://www.joovuu.com/gb/car-cameras/234-iro-rearview-dual-camera-d50-.html

If yes that after what I've read on this forum I am not quite sure I want to buy anything from Joovuu.

As from RHD vs LHD, this is a very important point, thank you! The Matego MG800 seem to have camera in the right place for RHD though.
Another possible option I've looked at was Papago/Aiptek GS372. I quite like the form-factor and the fact that Aiptek is known name but it doesn't support AV Input, so it is a big no-no for me.
Otherwise I would just buy it from Amazon and forget about other options.

After much deliberation I took the plunge and ordered Matego MG800 from Digi4u.
Will report on it when it arrives.

If you wanna to buy Rearview mirror DVR, I suggest you to purchase from JADO or JADO agent
We are the biggest Rearview Mirror DVR manufacturer in China
General Rearview mirror DVR : NT96650 / 96655 + OV sensor + 6 layer glass lens
Vision series Smart Rearview Mirror DVR : V690S : Alibaba Yun OS + Voice control + Front & Back HD1080P + 3G + WIFI, Blueteeth + MP3 + ADAS + GPS Naviagtio + 7.35 inch touch screen

always be copied, never be surpassed !

JADO China http://www.china-jado.com

Who is your agent in the UK?
Does your camera support reverse camera input?

Who is your agent in the UK?
Does your camera support reverse camera input?
D610S, D640S , D650S, D610S-AD , etc support reverse camera input
we don't have agent in UK, if anyone wanna to be our agent, pls contact me freely
my email : xwx@china-jado.com

Back