Is this really a A118C/B40C?

T4RVAN

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,

I have done a lot of research into dash cameras and figured the best bang for my buck was the A118C as opposed to risking it and paying more for something that can fry under the sun and inevitably die.

Now, I previously ordered an A118C as a gift and it arrived in a box that was labelled A118C.

Now the one I ordered from the ebay seller estore009 in China arrived in a haphazardly packaged broken box. I just wanted to know if this was the correct camera. Dashcamtalk listed them as a seller for the battery version but not the capacitor version.

Here is the one I ordered.IMAG0722.jpg IMAG0723.jpg IMAG0724.jpg IMAG0725.jpg

Well the F/W ID seems to indicate it's a capacitor version (B40C--------) so from that perspective it looks good. Other than that there's not many clues as to what you have.

Trading companies may change packaging. Broken box could happen during package handling or transportation.
You can also inspect recorded video files properties and see what it shows.

Trading companies may change packaging. Broken box could happen during package handling or transportation.

can happen if they've bought refurbished product or product that has failed QC as well, it's always a case of buyer beware from these Chinese sellers

can happen if they've bought refurbished product or product that has failed QC as well, it's always a case of buyer beware from these Chinese sellers

- "Buy cheap - buy often"
- "buying from oversea only pay amount you are prepared to lose"
- "we are not so rich to buy cheap things" "

Thank you to all of those who have replied. I appreciate the timely responses! I will most likely just return this item as the packaging alone did not compare to many other overseas unboxing I have seen. I understand that it might have been damaged during transportation but having an overly packed box like mine didn't help. The deal came with a bonus hard wire kit that was jammed into the box which probably led to the bursting of the box.

sadly those are all very accurate statements

Unfortunately to get to the last most important point ( "we are not so rich to buy cheap things" ), many people ( inlc. me as well ) have to experience many times first two points.

Thank you to all of those who have replied. I appreciate the timely responses! I will most likely just return this item as the packaging alone did not compare to many other overseas unboxing I have seen. I understand that it might have been damaged during transportation but having an overly packed box like mine didn't help. The deal came with a bonus hard wire kit that was jammed into the box which probably led to the bursting of the box.

have you tested it, is it working fine ? Apart from packaging, does everything else is fine ?
Returning to China could be very problematic. I am not sure with estore return policy, but some chinese sellers require sending back via Expedite service which in some cases cost 1/2 or even more the price of dashcam (customer pays return shipping cost ).

Didn't even consider the shipping charges.... ouch haha umm I tested it by plugging it into my cellphone charger and playing around with the menu. I bought a 32gb Samsung microSD to test it but didn't format it yet. My main reason for return really is the unknown box, the fact that the camera was sitting near the open end of the box. So I was thinking it's already off to a bad start as it was rattled around in transportation. And most importantly, I can't tell if its a battery or capcitor version. @niko mentioned that if I look at video files I can get more info?

Oh and I paid $65USD ($85CAD) with the hardwire kit. Maybe i'll just bite the bullet on this one and chalk it up to a learning experience.

Didn't even consider the shipping charges.... ouch haha umm I tested it by plugging it into my cellphone charger and playing around with the menu. I bought a 32gb Samsung microSD to test it but didn't format it yet. My main reason for return really is the unknown box, the fact that the camera was sitting near the open end of the box. So I was thinking it's already off to a bad start as it was rattled around in transportation. And most importantly, I can't tell if its a battery or capcitor version. @niko mentioned that if I look at video files I can get more info?

From FW version it is more likely capacitor version, but you can check it the way if you unplug power ( cut of power to dashcam ) and it shuts down immediately, then it should be capacitor version.
You can record any short video clip, upload to mega.co.nz / dropbox / filedropper and share download link, we will look into more info from original file.

Oh and I paid $65USD ($85CAD) with the hardwire kit. Maybe i'll just bite the bullet on this one and chalk it up to a learning experience.

Don't worry too much now. Test it for few weeks first.

Ok just cause im getting generic answers via google, is it normal for the video clips to beep every second? I read quickly it could be the red light indicating its recording and its interfering (hence the beep noise)

Ok just cause im getting generic answers via google, is it normal for the video clips to beep every second? I read quickly it could be the red light indicating its recording and its interfering (hence the beep noise)

there shouldn't be any beep, upload a raw file from the camera when you get a chance so others can have a look

one point nobody has mentioned: anyone can install the C firmware on a battery a118 and it will work fine. it will show b40C in the version, and will shut down quickly when you pull the power.

So the only way to be certain that it's the capacitor version is to open the camera. it's only 4 screws and then once you pop it off, you just have to be careful as sometimes the speaker is attached to that back panel. it'll be very obvious if you have two cylindrical (often green) capacitors, or a rectangular gray/silver battery pack.

here's a few pics inside the a118c - the first few that they made had the speaker mounted incorrectly and it was causing problems for some of us with the sd card slot. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/microsd-card-unable-to-stay.9902/page-3#post-126344

Before we offer A118C to estore009, but this one is not from us.

Before we offer A118C to estore009, but this one is not from us.

I believe there has been a second version for a few months now, from pictures I have seen internally it's a little different to the original version, watch sellers like estore009 quickly destroy the model

Back