Is this the deal I need?

Willum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.
Not quite a Newbie but not been here long - posting because my Nextbase 402G popped its battery, then quit altogether after a Firmware update.
Had a discussion with Nextbase and decided I wasn't going to spend any more money going down the 'battery' route again. The Viofo A119S V2 seems to come out as good as any.
Just to clarify my 'wants and needs', I'm looking for a Dashcam that includes a GPS and one that I can easily transfer from a Motorhome to 3 other cars. I only really need the PSU for the Motorhome, although I know they aren't that expensive.
I've added a couple of links to an offer of the camera, including 1 mount, a polarising lens and hardwired PSU as a free extra:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163062557881
and spare mounts (for the cars).
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202084739316
Is my understanding correct in that with these mounts, the Dashcam will keep the function of the GPS when transferred between vehicles?
I've read quite a few of the bits and pieces and some almost seem to indicate that the GPS receiver is in the mount? Add to that, a lot of the online listings seem vague as to which model you are actually getting - possibly deliberately - and there are a lot of Ali Express/eBay listings for revamped, older models, which by the time the Import Duty is paid, just aren't worth the risk.
Willum ;)

Is my understanding correct in that with these mounts, the Dashcam will keep the function of the GPS when transferred between vehicles?
I've read quite a few of the bits and pieces and some almost seem to indicate that the GPS receiver is in the mount? Add to that, a lot of the online listings seem vague as to which model you are actually getting - possibly deliberately - and there are a lot of Ali Express/eBay listings for revamped, older models, which by the time the Import Duty is paid, just aren't worth the risk.

Mount with GPS built in - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123234378248

If you setup properly you can move your dash cam from vehicle to vehicle.
To do what you want to do you’ll need the items listed below if you use the Plug In System.
The items below are listed and illustrated on Viofo web site. VIOFO LTD A119S 1080P 60fps Car Dash Cam -
4 GPS Mounts (For motor home and 3 cars)
4 Long Charging Cables
4 Car Adapters (to fit vehicle accessory socket, small, can be easily stored in each vehicle))
4 Clip Packs ( for attaching Charging Cable in vehicle))
4 3M Sticker Pack (To fix GPS Mount to windshield)
4 EVA Foam Pad Packs (for between GPS Mount and Dash Cam)
1 Mini USB Cable (for computer)
1 CPL Filter (recommend)
1 Viofo Dash Cam

With the above you can just take your dash cam from vehicle to vehicle.

Note: Don’t cut the corners on charging cables, car adapter, etc.
Stick with manufacturer as they are designed to be electronically compatible with the dash cam

If you don't mind using a suction mount, you can get a radar detector mount like this one. Then you don't need to buy multiple GPS modules. Just buy a camera/GPS/CPL bundle and you're good to go. Attach the GPS module to the radar mount, and the camera to the GPS and you're done. Then you can just move the whole thing between vehicles.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B000FGI9R0

This approach involves attaching power cord each time you install the bundle. No big deal though...

This approach involves attaching power cord each time you install the bundle. No big deal though...

That's true, the power would need to be plugged in each time the camera is moved. It is a much cheaper solution if money is of concern though or if you don't want things permanently attached to the windshield. If not, having 4 of everything set up and just moving the camera around is more convenient.

If you setup properly you can move your dash cam from vehicle to vehicle.
To do what you want to do you’ll need the items listed below if you use the Plug In System.
The items below are listed and illustrated on Viofo web site. VIOFO LTD A119S 1080P 60fps Car Dash Cam -
4 GPS Mounts (For motor home and 3 cars)
4 Long Charging Cables
4 Car Adapters (to fit vehicle accessory socket, small, can be easily stored in each vehicle))
4 Clip Packs ( for attaching Charging Cable in vehicle))
4 3M Sticker Pack (To fix GPS Mount to windshield)
4 EVA Foam Pad Packs (for between GPS Mount and Dash Cam)
1 Mini USB Cable (for computer)
1 CPL Filter (recommend)
1 Viofo Dash Cam

With the above you can just take your dash cam from vehicle to vehicle.

Note: Don’t cut the corners on charging cables, car adapter, etc.
Stick with manufacturer as they are designed to be electronically compatible with the dash cam

You can skip the 3M sticker packs as the GPS module has a sticker pre installed. You can also skip the EVA foam packs, since the dash cam comes with 4 in the box if you get the dash cam/GPS bundle. Since the EVA attaches to the camera and not the GPS, it goes from car to car anyway. Only need to replace it if it starts to wear down. I wired my car without needing to use the clip packs, but if they are needed, you can buy way more 3M clips off amazon for super cheap.

The rest of your list is spot on though.

Since that ebay bundle comes with the majority of things required. If buying off the viofo site, the extras would be:

3 additional GPS modules
2 additional cable/USB power adaptor sets (Willum's ebay link provides both hardwire kit, and cable/USB power adaptor)

Willum would have everything else from the first ebay link he posted. Don't bother with the second ebay link though, as those are only mounts for the dash cam. There is no GPS or anything, it's just to stick the camera to the windshield.

Last edited:
All good points.
There is a mobilehome and 3 other vehicles so I didn’t think going cheaply but value and efficiency are a factor here.
I also think it’s possible the vehicles could be driven at the same time by other drivers and it’s easier just to hand them the dash cam with all the other supportive equipment remaining in each vehicle.
As long as the poster knows their options they can go from there.
To me the bottom line is the Viofo A119S with GPS and CPL Filter best meets the needs for all 4.vehicles.
Whether to go hard wire or plug in that’s up to the individual.

Last edited:
...................... There is a mobilehome and 3 other vehicles so I didn’t think going cheaply but value and efficiency are a factor here ......................
Spot on, Mineshaft! That said, the car's ages are 28, 18 and 6, the only newish thing being the Motorhome at just under 1 year. :)

Thanks, everyone, for all the information and explanations. I now have a clear picture of the options. The thing I was unsure of was the function of the GPS unit in terms of interchangeability of mountings.
Looks like It'll be the eBay link for the basics, Harsh's link for the GPS units and Mineshaft's link for the additional hardwire kits - two as Caerus suggested because one of the cars is a cabriolet, with no straightforward means of permanently mounting the hardwire supply.
Caerus' excellent idea of the suction mount would be simplest and cheapest and that's what I used for the Nextbase - until it quit :mad: The Motorhome, though, has blinds built into the cab for the screen and side windows which foul on any suction mounted camera left in place, so I'll be glad I don't have to unstick one every time I want to close the blinds. The other thing I've noticed about suction mounts is that they will not stick - for long - to the obscured area around the back of the rear view mirror that seems to be a feature of most modern cars with screen wipe/lane departure/sign recognition sensors fitted.

Willum ;)
ps. a mobilehome - in the UK - is what you might find in a Trailer Park........... not that I'm snobbish about Motorhomes, or anything .......:p

Last edited:
............... and the obvious bit missing from my original list is:
A memory card. :rolleyes:
I've read somewhere that Samsung are the preferred option - but which, from the minefield of choices - do folk use with the greatest success? I've seen 128Gb cards for sale but they're pricey and I'm not really desperate to record for massive amounts of time, not likely to keep a video record of the a journey, so probably 32/64Gb I think would do - and there are excellent deals on 32s at the moment.
Willum ;)

Glad to hear all the input is helpful, it is a fun project.
I have one other important feature to add regarding the A119S and your vehicles.
I'm sure all of your vehicles don't have the same angle of windshield to mount your dash cam..
The lens on the A119S is vertically adjustable so you can adjust the lens up or down to suit the vehicle its in.
You were very helpful by providing good background info.
I’ve used 32GB for a long time mainly because it has FAT32, never ever had a card issue. This is the newest card I use now:
https://www.kingston.com/en/flash/microsd_cards/sdcg2
I’m happy with Kingston, many on the forum are very happy using other brands, Samsung EVO, Transcend, etc.
I think where you buy is a key factor. A good vendor sells a good product. This where I bought mine on sale for $29.
Kingston Canvas Go! 32GB 90MB/s microSDHC Memory Card : microSD, microSDHC & microSDXC Memory - Best Buy Canada
Have fun.
Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks Mineshaft. Always found it best to tell the full tale, otherwise folks are always trying to second guess you. Neither did I want to throw good money after bad following my experiences with the Nextbase.
I'd noted the moving lens on the Viofo. The windscreen angles are very different across the cars and Motorhome, so not being on a ball mount, I guess it has to be aligned somehow. I also noted they went away from the horizontal plane of movement, whether for cost reasons, or because of the different lens, I don't know.
There are LOTS of fakes on eBay and the like but happily we have plenty of good vendors and I've used this one for cards and RAM for many years:
https://www.mymemory.co.uk/kingston-32gb-canvas-go-micro-sd-card-sdhc-uhs-i-u3-v30-90mb-s.html
Never had a lemon from them and they're quick off the mark.
Am I wrong, or do you pay quite a high price for memory in Canada? There are a few European countries that seem to sell electronics at a premium, as well.
Willum ;)

Regarding micro sd cards I have a choice of 4 excellent retail stores within 45 klm of where I live.
On July 25th I paid $29.99CAN/£17.76 GBP on sale at Best Buy so there isn’t too much difference between CAN and the UK.
Prior to buying my A119S a year ago I researched vendors worldwide taking into account, dollar exchange, duty tariffs and shipping costs.
Once I narrowed down to a few vendors I queried them on their product and service.
I was particularly impressed with one who answered my questions and guaranteed I would have the newest model with the latest firmware and it did.
I bought it for the landed price of $116.99US (same as present price) eBay.ca SELLER 2013tranhowe123 A119S V2. GPS CPL
Your vendor sounds like a good reliable supportive and trustworthy supplier.
I’m loyal to my suppliers as well who give good service, even if I have pay a bit more.

Last edited:
I bought it for the landed price of $116.99US (same as present price) ...................
That was/is a very good deal. Mine equates to roughly $152 at the exchange rate you quoted, but at today's rate, your price of US $116.99 would be almost exactly the price I paid at £89.99.
I'd come to the same conclusion with the seller and I react the same to a good one. Cheaper available, but then add Import/carriage/etc, and starts to lose its attraction.
Now all I have to do is be patient and wait for the Postman :)
Willum ;)

Walmart has much cheaper prices on Kingston micro-sd cards.
I am pretty sure you want to avoid the cheapest Kingston card as it is slower and the most expensive one could be the better longer lasting memory type.
I could not confirm it even with Kingston tech support. They only said all Kingston cards are good for 1 million uses.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat...ston+canvas+micro+sd+card#searchProductResult

Walmart has much cheaper prices on Kingston micro-sd cards.
I am pretty sure you want to avoid the cheapest Kingston card as it is slower and the most expensive one could be the better longer lasting memory type.
I could not confirm it even with Kingston tech support. They only said all Kingston cards are good for 1 million uses.
Guess they're never going to say "Don't buy this one, it's cheap c**p and slower than treacle." :D
Point taken, though. Writing speed is good to have when the camera's trying to record that last, vital file after the bozo t-bone's you at the junction!
We don't have Walmart here, only the company they bought out a few years ago. ASDA. I'll have a look at their prices, see how they stack up.
Willum ;)

Back