Issue with autostart and rear camera not being picked up unless wire is unplugged and reinserted?

blessing786

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Camera is Viofo Plus Duo, SD card is Samsung Evo 256gb. Being used on 1440 60FPS +1080 30FPS front and back. Parking mode disabled and running using original USB charger cable and cig lighter.

I am wondering if you can assist me, please. I ordered a Viofo A129 Plus Dash Camera with a hardwiring kit. The order arrived no problems via Amazon and I had it fitted to my car professionally. Soon after the installation, I realised that the camera does not turn on by itself on engine start, I had to manually push the button on the camera to switch it on and further to this the rear camera does not come on unless I unplug the wire and then replug the wire back in. Once the wire is replugged and the camera switched on it works perfectly with no issues. Only issue being it does no auto-start and for the rear camera to be picked up I have to reinsert the rear camera cable after unplugging. This does not always happen i.e. sometimes it will switch on perfectly and rear camera will be showing as working but out of 10 starts 7 starts are without auto start and rear camera not being picked up.

After troubleshooting steps and firmware upgrade, the problem was still present. I ended up returning the hard wiring kit based on feedback from the installer. Whereby it was reported on some vehicles because of drop-in voltage as the vehicle is being started the camera does not switch on. They initially recommended using the “Delay boot” feature but this did not solve the issue, as a result, the hardwiring kit was removed as was deemed to be the issue. The USB Cig lighter cable was installed in its place. Now the camera is being powered by the cigarette lighter but the problem is still present. Does not auto start and the rear camera won't be picked up until the cable is reinserted. I know there are no issues with the power as the cig lighter is glowing green indicating power is present.

As further troubleshooting, My vehicle Is a BMW 520d 2012 registration it was determined the cigarette is switched on when the vehicle is unlocked and switches off 3 minutes after the vehicle is locked and not on engine start or switch off. Also, the voltage was measured and when starting the engine there is no voltage drop ruling out the issue with the hardwiring kit or cig lighter as previously thought. (Unfortunately, the hardwiring kit was returned by this point and now is only fitted with the cig lighter cable)

Now the camera still has the same issue. As a result, I contacted Amazon who was hell-bent on me returning the camera to them for a refund. The issue is, I don’t want a refund, I just want the camera working as like I said once it's on, it's perfect and also, I am unable to return all the parts as I have paid to have the wiring fitted. (So, in theory, I could only return the cameras not the wiring as the wiring is routed and installed into the vehicle).

Can you help me fix the issue? I am now thinking it’s a faulty camera rather than how its installed. Just to assist you, it's powered via the GPS mount and I also have AV out plugged in for my head unit. To clarify as a troubleshooting method the problem is still present even if I don’t plug in the AV out.

If I cannot get the issue resolve then I won't have a choice but to return it but that’s my last resort as I ideally I want it working. I raised a ticket with Viofo UK support but their response was more than unacceptable, it almost seemed like they didn't even ready my issue as they responded with the following:

"There may be something wrong with the power supply.

Could you please try to use the original car charger or check if the car battery need changing."

Well if they had read my message properly they would have known I am using the original car charger and the car's batteries fine as its been tested with voltmeter, This forum, and Viofo forum is my last-ditch attempt before I have to unglue the cameras and send them back as they not working as intended.

Anyone able to shed any light or had similar issue? Just for info front camera is upgraded to the latest firmware as is the rear camera.

Last edited:
Something you could try as a test is unplugging the lighter socket each time then don’t plug it in until you have started the car.
when you set the boot delay was it long enough to cover the time from unlocking the car to starting the engine? Like if you set it to 10 seconds but don’t start the car for 15 seconds after unlock then it isn’t doing what it is supposed to still.

Something you could try as a test is unplugging the lighter socket each time then don’t plug it in until you have started the car.
when you set the boot delay was it long enough to cover the time from unlocking the car to starting the engine? Like if you set it to 10 seconds but don’t start the car for 15 seconds after unlock then it isn’t doing what it is supposed to still.

Thanks for getting back....When I manually plug in the cig lighter the camera remains off until I switch on the button.

My ciga lighters are activated when I unlock the car. I set the boot delay long enough so the car is started within the time but same issue,

Thanks for getting back....When I manually plug in the cig lighter the camera remains off until I switch on the button.

My ciga lighters are activated when I unlock the car. I set the boot delay long enough so the car is started within the time but same issue,
If manually plugging the lighter power in when the car is already running this basically rules out voltage fluctuations on start up etc and if the behaviour is the same with the hardwire kit then this should also rule out the power adaptor I would say, leaving the camera as the cause be that due to firmware issues or a hardware fault.
The only other thing to rule out which you may already have done, if the rear camera cable is unplugged from the camera when you power up does it still fail to turn on?

I have sent the camera back as I believe it to be faulty. I did not get to try it without the rear camera being plugged in but thank you for trying to assist.

A 2 channel system with issues with the rear camera ( plugs or wire ) can make the whole system behave irregular, it is one of the most frequent reasons for problems with 2 channel systems.
Thats why some suggested to try without the rear camera connected, cuz if that work then the main unit are probably fine and only the rear camera wire or camera itself can be the problem.

The same is true with a inadequate power supply, and they do actually go bad even if it is rare i hear about it, most times it is due to the user using some creative form on non factory power source.
You can also use a none factory power source, but it better well be a good one, or you get erratic camera behavior not least on startup.

Back