Issue with Dash Cam recording mode on Battery C3 on loop mode

Mike1610

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
2 x Innovv C3
Hi Rock,

I've been testing the 2 C3's I have, and I've found a bug. I hope that you are able to rectify it.

When I set the C3 to loop record, it will record for exactly 3 hours and 50 minutes, then stop recording, both C3's do this. Then the C3's will start to record again 3 hours and 42 minutes later. Both C3's create 24 x 10 minute files, and it starts to record again at the 25th file.

I have carried out this test twice on both C3's with exactly the same results. One set of tests was carried out overnight, the other during the day and in the sun. I carried this out to see if it was a thermal issue, it does not seem to be related as I got exactly the same results. I would expect both C3's to continue recording till the SD card is full and then start overwriting the first file, this is not the case.

Settings for the C3's are:
  1. No motion detection
  2. G sensor is off
  3. PAL
  4. 10 minute files.
  5. Both are externally powered
  6. And I am using Transcend 32GB Class 10 micro SD cards
I want to use these as dash cams, and you can drive or ride for much greater than this.

Cheers . . . Mike

Hi Jokin,

The two C3's do not get to loop as they stop recording. I'm not sure whether I am the trigger to start recording, as I disconnect the power and the C3's then turn off 1 minute later, and the 25th file is approximately 1 minute long.

I'll test them both on 5 minute files tonight, but the file length should not make any difference as the device should record till there is no space and then overwrite the the first file. That is what a dash cam does irrespective of file length.

There was nearly 2.7GB of space left on the card, Test time should be approx 7 hours.

Can you please test at your end as well, it may actually be a FW issue. Perhaps you could get Techmoan to check as well as he is very thorough also.

Cheers . . . Mike

4 hours would be getting close to a full card,, see how it goes on 5 minutes and let us know the result

Hi Jokiin,

Well they both went for 3 hours and 50 minutes, both wrote 24 files before writing the last file (making 25) and both had approx 2.7GB free. They should have filled the card and then started overwriting the first file.

I have set one C3 to 5 minutes, the other to 3 minutes. I will check them in the morning, hopefully the cards are full and the C3's loop.

As stated before, my personal preference is 10 minutes, I think 30 minutes is too long as you would lose a lot of data if the file corrupted. If the C3's don't loop on 10 and 30 then perhaps that option should not appear.

Cheers . . . Mike

It may just be a bug in the loop process with the larger files, can't say I've seen other reports but most people use the shorter sizes so it wouldn't come up much

Well, will have confirmation in the morning

@Mike1610 , well noticed the issue,
When I set the C3 to loop record, it will record for exactly 3 hours and 50 minutes, then stop recording, both C3's do this. Then the C3's will start to record again 3 hours and 42 minutes later. Both C3's create 24 x 10 minute files, and it starts to record again at the 25th file.

I will take 32 GB SD card to do test.

Beside my desk, there are 10 C3 with 8GB SD cards are testing day and night, Set to 3 minutes and record around 26 files for one and half hour, keep loop recording, no issue found.

BTW, I will send you PM and Let's talk together tomorrow.

Rock

I agree, you will need to test a 32GB SD card as the issue only happens after 3 hours and 50 minutes.

Nice to have call with you, Mike.
As you keep recording, I have set video clips to be 1 min, 3 min, 5 mins, 10 mins to test.
Let's check the results tomorrow morning from both sides.

Hi Rock,

Good to talk to you last night, here are my results:

3 minute recording:
  1. 85 files recorded
  2. 656MB free space on 32 GB card
  3. Recorded for 4 hours and 12 minutes
  4. Did not loop, stopped recording, record indicator flashing at all time
  5. C3 at time of power off looked as though it was recording, red flashing LED.
5 minute recording:
  1. 50 files recorded + 1 file caused by power off command
  2. 1.24GB free space on 32 GB card
  3. Recorded for 4 hours and 5 minutes
  4. Did not loop, stopped recording, record indicator flashing at all time
  5. C3 at time of power off looked as though it was recording, red flashing LED.
I will now set off another test, this time I will not erase the files and hopefully force an overwrite.

Cheers . . . Mike

Hi Mike,

I do believe phone call is easy to make people close, that writing may can not archive. ;)

From your message, I do understand it would be an issue with 32 GB SD card, I will test it tomorrow once the card available.

Below is my testing result,
10 cameras with 8 GB SD cards tested over 24 hours,
2 cameras set for 1 minute video clip length, 75 files created,
2 cam for 3 minutes, 25 files created,
3 cam for 5 minutes, 15 files created,
3 cam for 10 minutes, 7 files created.

Till I do check on all cameras and SD cards, SD cards get full and the recording time for last file is the time I stop recording.

From this point, it should be OK for small size SD card.

1min-75files-1.PNG 1min-75files-2.PNG 3min-25files-1.PNG 3min-25files-2.PNG 5min-15files-1.PNG 5min-15files-2.PNG 5min-15files-3.PNG 10min-7files-1.PNG 10min-7files-2.PNG 10min-7files-3.PNG

All the best,

Rock

Mike..

what are the file name started HT or L?
since loop mode is by hardware access only with this design.
I would recommend following
just one of the filled card...no need to format
now..cycle the slide switch to led and then back to centre gently. you can feel it where the centre is.

If the switch is not making any contacts..C1/2/3 will default to HT..

but since both C3 has the same issue..it could be something else..
flash back to sep firmware..and try..

If the switch is not making any contacts..C1/2/3 will default to HT..

@RockThinking did his testing on 10 cameras, each one produced HT files, it's hard to believe that all of those cameras had a problem with the switch not making contact.

@RockThinking did his testing on 10 cameras, each one produced HT files, it's hard to believe that all of those cameras had a problem with the switch not making contact.
It is a different issue that you described above..it is likely firmware.
Mike's is not looping..and is likely hardware in my opinion...but since both acting the same...it is hard to nail down the cause.

The original file name definition is very clear as below, and C1, C2 is following up,
but FW guys made mistake on C3, so get L and HT file name mixed in loop video recording.
Now they are working on correction.

This is very stupid mistake, I believe it will never happen again.

4a7279_91c5cc0a6e1d70d4ff14383c6edf90c4.jpg_srz_p_500_266_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

4a7279_72453213ba33456db9fdef2db100bc0e.jpg_srz_p_823_467_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

And parklawn reported other issue that May C3 does not support 32GB SD card for loop recording.
He tested two days got same result,
Here we will do the test today, and if it is issue, will do correction.

I take 10 cameras test on 8GB SD cards, it works well.

@ Cf7, my files are L and the C3's are set to loop.

Hi Rock,

When I set the C3's to write over the files from the previous test they did overwrite that test. How ever both C3's returned the same results as before.

I look forward to your results, hopefully the FW guys are able to rectify this quickly.

Cheers . . . Mike

Back