Issue with remote start and recording

mogulbumm

Reaction score
Country
United States
SG9663DCPRO in an F-150 with factory remote start. Latest firmware 20191023.

I seem to have an issue since the firmware update (which I just did a few weeks ago) where the camera does not record in the following instance:

a. Parking mode has expired (exceeded the power off delay, which I have set to 24-hours)
b. Remote start is used to start the vehicle.

For example, my parking mode had timed out at 11:35pm on 3/16. I did not use the truck until 3/17. I noted there was a 40-minute gap where I was driving and it wasn't recording. Same happened today (20-minute gap). Trying to self-diagnose, I concluded that when I had used remote start, the camera did not record. However in each of these scenarios, I had stopped the vehicle for an errand and returned to it and did NOT use the remote start, so when I manually started, it recorded fine.

This is strange and concerning since it worked prior to the update and does not make sense, since even with remote start (which may not enable all the circuits) they are certainly provided power once you get in the vehicle and prepare to drive.

Using hardwire kit and the circuits I'm using are:

Constant Power: Room Lamp (dome light). This is always live regardless of vehicle status.
Switched Power: Power Socket. Only live when vehicle is running.

Submitted a ticket with Street Guardian as well, but didn't know if anybody in the forum has experienced something similar.

what year model is your F-150, can you give me the fuse numbers you're connected to also please

I'll add that I've experienced the same issue with the latest firmware, and I'm quite sure in all cases it's been when parked for more than a day. The unit seems to turn on after vehicle is started but doesn't respond to any button presses or record. If I hold the power button down for 30 seconds or so it reboots and starts recording. I don't have remote start, so what we have in common is when parking mode time expires. I'm attaching settings I screenshot from the app back in January . If it helps I can record a video with my cell phone. I'm also open to unrelated setting changes for those with more knowledge that me.

Attachments

• IMG_2792.PNG
    IMG_2792.PNG
    83.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2791.PNG
    IMG_2791.PNG
    97.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2793.PNG
    IMG_2793.PNG
    82.9 KB · Views: 7
won't have any relationship to latest firmware, what vehicle do you have (make and model), where are B+ ACC and ground connected, (need the details of the circuits tapped)?

2014 Subaru Forester. B+ tap to fuse 1 ( constant power trailer hitch connector ) , ACC tap to fuse 20 ( front accessory outlet)

Installed in April 2019 and first experienced this issue late November after installing firmware 1.16 like the original poster.

Since all the settings reset with the firmware update process it's likely I've changed something vs before (like parking mode fps) ,which is why I attached current settings for someone looking to duplicate.

I guess an easy experiment would be to downgrade firmware and see if that resolves the issue and go from there. Or reset with existing firmware and only change one from default at a time.

checked with our tech, he suggested B+ fuse to either 10, 11, or 24, ACC is fine on 20

My F-150 still does this, but it’s sporadic and I’m trying to find the pattern as it doesn’t seem to track with parking mode expiring or not.

For example, I’ve used my truck 4x in the past 2 weeks. In theory, each time I use my truck the recording should start when I’m in my driveway (assuming parking mode has expired). 3 of the 4 times, it has worked fine. Once it has not (it did not record until I reached my destination and then restarted the vehicle to return home).

In each case I carefully noted the camera “starting up” when I started the truck and the recording light indicated it was recording.

I have followed suggestions and reformatted the card but this escapes me, and is concerning since I don’t have confidence the recording will be there when I need it.

I have sort of similar problems but with another brand camera, powered off the OBD port, with a data / power devise from the brand.

In my car when i have parked the car last night and it transition into parking mode, and do that until low voltage end that.
So the next day i can start my car, drive a little, stop and the camera will start to record on the first start, and transition to parking mode on first stop and change to normal drive mode again just fine, and i can do that several times within the first half hour or so, but if i drive a bit more and i assume my car battery get a better charge, the camera will not change to regular mode after a stint of parking mode, instead it just turn off, though it turning off are not a given, some times it will also change to regular mode again as it should, and some times it turn off, just to turn itself on a second later.
Very bewildering so i will move that off the OBD devise to a regular source of power, where as i recall it work flawless but of course without parking mode, which is fine with me as i dont really want parking mode i just must test it as its a test camera sent to me.

Anyways back to topic, with this particular brand, your seller or the brand will probably try something more substantial soon, it do seem you have having "Bermuda triangle cars", and its not the first time we have seen bewildering issues.
But the guys always seem to go the whole way, and even replacing the whole unit too if that is needed, though that dont necessary mean the problem go away in select cases, but at least then it should not be the camera that is the issue.
A Ford 150 truck i would as a Dane assume was a pretty basic vehicle that Ford have not crammed all the smart into they can.

Personally i would probably have been trying some different fuses, and after that i would probably go strait to the battery to rule out the cars wiring harness as much as i could ( the ACC wire would probably still have to be on a ACC fuse )
So i would run some temporary wire from the battery thru a open window or something, and then do some static testing as you of course cant drive around with wires dangling on your car.

A year or so ago i put one of my old SG cameras in my friends Mercedes, using the supplied power supply with the plug cut off to hard wire it to the fuse box, that was also a WTF experience with me trying just about any fuse and it not working, but in the end it did work on one of the fuses i tried several times and found not working.
I can only assume it was before the car had been sitting idle for so long somethings in its smarts did something.

In the same time i would have been able to hard wire and install at least 3 dashcam systems in my own little Suzuki car, as it have absolutely no smarts in it,,,,, at least not that i have noticed.

I have sort of similar problems but with another brand camera, powered off the OBD port, with a data / power devise from the brand.

In my car when i have parked the car last night and it transition into parking mode, and do that until low voltage end that.
So the next day i can start my car, drive a little, stop and the camera will start to record on the first start, and transition to parking mode on first stop and change to normal drive mode again just fine, and i can do that several times within the first half hour or so, but if i drive a bit more and i assume my car battery get a better charge, the camera will not change to regular mode after a stint of parking mode, instead it just turn off, though it turning off are not a given, some times it will also change to regular mode again as it should, and some times it turn off, just to turn itself on a second later.
Very bewildering so i will move that off the OBD devise to a regular source of power, where as i recall it work flawless but of course without parking mode, which is fine with me as i dont really want parking mode i just must test it as its a test camera sent to me.

Anyways back to topic, with this particular brand, your seller or the brand will probably try something more substantial soon, it do seem you have having "Bermuda triangle cars", and its not the first time we have seen bewildering issues.
But the guys always seem to go the whole way, and even replacing the whole unit too if that is needed, though that dont necessary mean the problem go away in select cases, but at least then it should not be the camera that is the issue.
A Ford 150 truck i would as a Dane assume was a pretty basic vehicle that Ford have not crammed all the smart into they can.

Personally i would probably have been trying some different fuses, and after that i would probably go strait to the battery to rule out the cars wiring harness as much as i could ( the ACC wire would probably still have to be on a ACC fuse )
So i would run some temporary wire from the battery thru a open window or something, and then do some static testing as you of course cant drive around with wires dangling on your car.

A year or so ago i put one of my old SG cameras in my friends Mercedes, using the supplied power supply with the plug cut off to hard wire it to the fuse box, that was also a WTF experience with me trying just about any fuse and it not working, but in the end it did work on one of the fuses i tried several times and found not working.
I can only assume it was before the car had been sitting idle for so long somethings in its smarts did something.

In the same time i would have been able to hard wire and install at least 3 dashcam systems in my own little Suzuki car, as it have absolutely no smarts in it,,,,, at least not that i have noticed.

This didn’t happen until the latest firmware. I’m going to see if I can find a better pattern.

You can always backstep with the firmware, SG cameras dont lock you in once you have updated.

No other reports of firmware updates effecting parking mode. Also, latest update didn’t change any parking mode settings. Worth a try reflashing just as a basic troubleshooting step. There is a new beta firmware coming soon but again nothing was changed with parking mode in the pending beta as well.

Back