Issue with the cam's time-keeping

creedcooking

Reaction score
Country
United States
I notice that at least every couple days, the dashcam has seemed to lose track of time and start at 2018-01-01. It quickly fixes itself by synchronizing with GPS, but the first 5 minute clip ends up being saved as 2018_0101_******_****.MP4.

This is a problem because those 2018_0101* files end up appearing as the oldest files on the card and are deleted pretty much immediately to make room for the next recording.

Here you can see that the files that should have ended in 099A and 100B are both missing:
missing_files.png

So,
1) Why does the clock reset so often?
2) Can the firmware handle this better? Perhaps... if the time had been lost, then find the newest recording on card and set the time to be after that point.
3) Why have the "099A" counter in the last section if it doesn't help avoid situations like this?

Today I thought I had good footage of a biker running a red light and almost hitting me, but it was during the first file, so I have no footage of this instance. This sucks. :(

What firmware version do you have?

Thanks for helping out jokiin! Curious though, even if the cam's clock didn't reset as often, isn't it still a reality that it will sometimes reset? Perhaps after being unpowered for a long time.. I think my #2 point is a valuable feature to have and would avoid needing to replace the camera.

it just shouldn't be doing it, not something we should try and patch when it's a problem it shouldn't have in the first place

Fair enough. FWIW, I first noticed it losing its time on the first day of use and the car had only been parked/powered off for 2 hours.

Hi all, I received the replacement front camera and swapped them out last Friday.

1) I have checked up on what it has recorded so far and the time reset issue still happens.
timeReset.png

Out of 20 power off/on cycles during regular parking/driving, it has reset its clock back to 01/01/2018 four times. That comes out to a 20% chance that the camera loses track of time upon power-on. One of the times, it took over 5 minutes (my file length setting) to synchronize the time, so it ended up losing 10 minutes of footage:
lostFiles.png

2) At a certain point I had done a drive that only lasted 3 minutes 31 seconds (possibly related?), and I see that after that happened, the camera had forgotten my 5 minute file length setting and went back to the default of 3 minutes.

You can see it happen after the 031A and 032B files (the 3:31 drive), all subsequent files are of a smaller size and only 3 minutes long:
3min clip and timezone reset mid-record.png

3) There is also a different glitch I haven't seen before:
Code:
https://imgur.com/143cI5o
EDIT: Made it "code" so it doesn't embed the imgur weirdly.
The timestamp changed timezone to GMT mid-recording. How does that happen?
You can see this glitch in the file list screenshot above as well. The 2018-0821_185248-****.MP4 files have a modified date of 2018-08-22 01:55.

So, I am still having problems with this dash cam unfortunately. :(

Last edited:
Also, when I checked through the settings after all this had happened, it was clear that all the settings had reset at some point.
50Hz instead of 60Hz, 3 minute file length, G-Sensor setting was no longer Off, logo was added to the video, etc.

Out of 20 power off/on cycles during regular parking/driving, it has reset its clock back to 01/01/2018 four times....
How are you powering the camera? I had exactly the same issue when I was using the vehicles USB port (actually 2 different vehicles). When I switched to the 12V supply all was well, even if I used a 12V-5V converter and my existing USB cables.

Ah I didn’t think to ask what power supply you’re using. That one won’t be supported. Please test again using our included power supply.

I use this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01G5B069C
What is the 12V supply and how does that work? It doesn't seem like the camera has any way to input 12V, so it ends up becoming 5V still before reaching the camera, right?
The 12V supply is where you plug that USB adapter into. SG provides a 12V to 5V adapter with the camera.

Your problem definitely sounds like a power issue. It may be that the adapter you're using doesn't provide stable power.

need to keep in mind that yes we do use a USB connector, but the camera has a higher power input requirement than the USB standard, using other power supplies can cause issues

I am still feeding my DC with the provided PSU, but i might try a vacant slot in the expanded 5V power grid in my glove box before the year are over.
But any funny business and its back to what work.

Back