Issues hardwiring dash cam to fuse box

Gregorich

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A119s
Hey all,

I bought the A119s in April with the CPL filter and it's been great so far. Since buying it, I've been using the cigarette lighter to keep the cam working. For the most part, it works like a charm. However, the last few weeks the cigarette lighter's been temperamental and cutting in and out. It'll keep restarting itself every two or three minutes, so I decided to hardwire it into the fuse box by the front passenger seat of my car. Unfortunately, each time I've tried to set it up I get nothing and the dash cam doesn't turn on. I checked with a multimeter and there's power going through the connections.

I bought this (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B01MZZABTZ) along with this fuse tap (https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/10a-atm-dual-fuse-tap/A-p8311003e). I connected the two together and used the radio fuse (10a) and used a 5a mini fuse in the tap for the dash cam. It didn't work, so I used the windshield wiper fuse (10a) and a 5a mini fuse in the tap. It also didn't work. I had a ground and tried different mini fuses in case one was bad.

Is there a step I'm missing or something I'm doing wrong? Should I be using higher powered fuses?

Here's some pictures of what I have and the fuse box, if needed.

https://ibb.co/jXQuxv
https://ibb.co/f1pbAF

I edited the post, so links to the images should be there. Let me know if there's an issue.
I did start my car after each time and the dash cam didn't come on. I checked with a multimeter after each time to see if there was an issue, but it read fine. Both the radio and windshield wiper fuses worked with the fuse tap, but the dash cam aspect didn't.

could be a bad power supply, those ones can be a bit hit and miss, check your power after the crimp connectors in case you have a bad join, not a lot else you can check really

Yeah, there's only a few things to check in the whole thing. That's why I was surprised it wasn't working.
The connection between the tap and power supply are good, but I was thinking of cutting it off and soldering it together to make a better, more confident connection.
If it's a bad power supply, is there one you'd recommend I try for a second attempt?

we have had people damage our cameras using those power supplies, they don't seem to be well regulated, we have a few models we do but they're not quite as cheap as those, see how you go with the seller, you might be able to get that one replaced if it's just a dud

Thanks! I bought it through Amazon, so I'll check and see what the return policy is. Do you have a link for your product? I'm not worried about it being more than what I bought. I'd rather spend a bit more and have it work right.

don't know the links offhand and if they're on the Canada store as well as the US store (I'm in Australia), I'll ask one of the local guys there to look it up and give you the links

Thanks! I appreciate the links and the tip. I'm going to give it a try again today, so fingers crossed.
I'll also pick up some 2a fuses today and give it a try. I figured 2a would be enough, but I had some 5a ones. It's worth the few bucks to get the 2a.

I figured as much, but if a lower fuse will work (when I get it all figured out) I thought it best in case it ever blows.

I went back and tried the same steps again, but this time replacing the 5a fuse with the 2a. I hooked it up and it turned on, but then it would turn on and off. That's the same issue I was having with the cigarette lighter. Obviously switching the fuses isn't going to have that much of a difference, unless they're blown and they weren't in this case. The only thing I can think of is there's a problem with the A119s or there's a problem with the power supply for the hook up for the fuse box. I'm running version 1.2 on the A119s and it'll work with the cigarette lighter about 50% of the time now, but will turn on and off occasionally.
Thoughts?

or there's a problem with the power supply
I think there is.
you have a power drop occasionally and the camera goes off. it's not related to a firmware version or the camera itself. I don't think.

Try rotating the fuse tap connector on your fuse box (in theory should not make a difference). Also, if you have a VOM you can try measuring the voltage to trace down where the problem is at.

I think there is.
you have a power drop occasionally and the camera goes off. it's not related to a firmware version or the camera itself. I don't think.

That's what I'm thinking. I just got a bad power supply unit and it's giving me problems. I bought it off Amazon, so I think I'll see what their return policy is and buy a new and better one. I'm open to recommendations!

Try rotating the fuse tap connector on your fuse box (in theory should not make a difference). Also, if you have a VOM you can try measuring the voltage to trace down where the problem is at.

I've got a multimeter, so I'll give it a try! What type of readings should I be getting on the multimeter?

You should read between about 11 and 14 volts DC at your tap if the connections are good. If is is, then you should measure 5v DC on the connector to your camera (after the voltage regulator).

Back