Issues since installing rear cam.

BENR7310

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Since installing the rear camera I've been having some issues.

I am often finding that I have to select where I what to see the rear cam picture when starting up in the morning.

Does anyone know if this is a battery thing?

Pretty frustrated that it doesn't just start recording in the background - as I've managed to get half way down the road before realising previously.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Only time I've seen this is when I've not used car for a couple of days. Assumed it was a low battery issue.

Yes that is one cause @Antoeknee

The other cause could be the cable @BENR7310 - check the battery, by chargingin for 2 hours inside your home with parking mode off.

@NextBase Support Surely if the cable had gone the rear cam would cut in/out while driving, or not show up at all some mornings?

I've driven 2 hours, stopped at services and had to reselect before.

It would be pretty frustrating if it was the cable as it took ages to get all the trim panels off and feed it through the boot wiring loom. Is the cable fault a common issue?

Last time I charged the battery full (in the house) it lasted about 10-15 minutes. I'm now a month out of warranty and was offered a replacement battery as a gesture of goodwill but would have to send the unit off. I'd rather not be without the dashcam so would rather sort it myself. Unfortunately nextbase didn't offer to send me a battery to complete the repair myself, so I'm left to sourcing my own.

Yes that is one cause @Antoeknee

The other cause could be the cable @BENR7310 - check the battery, by chargingin for 2 hours inside your home with parking mode off.
I have done this in the past and for about 10 to 12 days, no matter how infrequently I use the car, the selection message doesn't appear. Don't use parking mode by the way.

So my take on this is that the battery is getting low as do quite a lot of very short journeys. A drive of couple of hours and message doesn't appear for a few days.

I'll swap out the battery and let you know how I get on!

@NextBase Support, today I made sure the camera was recording when setting off but half way through the journey it prompted for me to set my rear cam view preference.

This leads me to believe it is the cable, so I will email you separately to get a new one (rear cam still in warranty).

One thing I do want to flag though, in your next firmware release could you please ensure the camera is recording in the background even if you haven't set a preference or set a default and add a menu option to change it?

The other possible issue with the menu for the rear camera popping up may be an out of date firmware version I would advise updating the firmware on the camera which should prevent the camera from showing this message on the screen.

The firmware for your camera can be found here: https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/help-and-support/dash-cams/512gw-support/

I would have thought that it would continue to operate in the same way as it has been, even if a new firmware version has been released, as the device would not know any better (unless there was a time based bug in the previous firmware).

I will check the firmware version tonight anyway.

Back