Issues with 64 GB card memory above 32 GB, new firmware required?

Bitterbal

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hi,

I own a Panorama IIS since 2014 and have always been using 32 GB cards without problem. Recently I bought a 64 GB card (SanDisk Ultra XC I 10) which initially seemed to work ok but is now having a lot of problems with properly recording the video (only a few frames per minute). A reset (removing power while driving) solves the problem for the very short term (5 to 30 minutes). After some days of use it suddenly starts to work fine again. It now seems that the first half of the card works fine but the second half (the piece from 32 to 64 GB) always has problems.

I tried combinations of formatting with SDformatter and formatting in the camera. No difference. The card works ok with my computer. Speed is fine for the whole card.

I think it might have to do with the firmware. I last updated it in May 2014 just after receiving the unit.

Current firmware version: GLG300 1.12.06 2014-04-21 21:00

I bought the card at Ebay from shpkorea / Hae Won Lee
Product: Car Black Box PANORAMAII(II S) dashcam Full HD Sony CMOS + GPS + Power Cable+CPL

Is there a more recent firmware available for this model that could solve this issue?

Does it work OK if you go back using 32GB card ?

Yes, the 32 GB cards can be used as before. They work fine just like the 64 GB card works fine when the files on the first 32 GB are being overwritten again.

I see some statements on this forum about Sandisk cards (although some years old). Is there still reason to be believe the SanDisk cards of today are less suitable?

I don't know if this is any help but I had the same problem recently with a lexar 633x card 64GB which turned out to be a fake card

Thanks. Maybe it's just a card specific thing then.

Should I perhaps use specific options with SDformatter?

It seems to be the card. I now bought a 64 GB Kington and it works without issues. I waited for the card to be completely full to be sure.

I wonder why the Sandisk doesn't work. Is it just bad or is it just not compatible due to a difference in hardware? Strange that getting a card is just like playing roulette. It might or might not work

So:
Sandisk, 64 GB, Ultra SD XC I, class 10 --> issues in the memory space above 32 GB. No problems on my computer
Kingston, 64 GB SD XC I, class 10 --> works fine

From what I was told makers of these cards do change the "workings" so a lot of older ones that worked can no longer be relied upon to work with the newer versions, so bloody annoying!!!

Back