It froze, simply not reliable!

As above , it's paramount to have reliability , trouble is too many people are saying with ordinary TLC Nand all good experience so far , it's not the right message and SD card warrany void .
Cost me £20 for 128 sandisk ultra.

I don't care about warranty for £20. If it lasts a year that's good. Less. I'll be sad and buy a proper one.

Jacko,
Would you care to share the name of the Nextbase technician who provided the details of the card and where it is available, the price, etc?

Henry,
You say your 'running a Nextbase 32gb card', can to explain how you obtained it please?

Thnak you.
I bought the card with the cam from Halfords.

Just a thought .....

Is dashcam technology with quad HD and 4k too good for SDCard technology ?

Do all dashcams use removeable cards or do any use onboard memory like SatNavs ?

Cost me £20 for 128 sandisk ultra.

I don't care about warranty for £20. If it lasts a year that's good. Less. I'll be sad and buy a proper one.

Sandisk_Ultra32GB_DoNotBuy-300x300.jpg

Even Amazon get fakes. Check it out with one of the free card check utilities.

Appreciate that. But it's the real deal. Just won't last long by the sounds of it.

I paid 23.69 in a lightning deal. So not quite 20£

Maybe I should just get a samsung 128gb endurance and out this in my switch for piece of mind.

I've read that it can say it's recording and not be....that's not great

As it happens, I am running a Sans=disk Ultra Samsung Evo plus U3 in my BlackVue 750 with rear cam and it's been OK so far. I think that Kremmen uses one in his 380. Let me know K, and I'll edit this post if required.

Last edited:
Henry,
Do you know if your card a 'Nextbase branded Card' or another card that Halfords just bundled with the camera?
FYI my camera came with 'free' 32gb unbranded card when bought from an independant shop.

Im really interested in this because if suitable cards are available from Nextbase why are we not made aware of it.
Or
Is it that Nextbase just recommend a specific brand/specfication of card.
Personally I do not care what the card costs but it matter a whole lot that the card works 100% of the time the 512GWR.
Presently I am researching industrial SD cards.

Its a little disconcerting that Tiffany or one of her colleagues has not seen fit to post on this thread.

Henry,
Do you know if your card a 'Nextbase branded Card' or another card that Halfords just bundled with the camera?
FYI my camera came with 'free' 32gb unbranded card when bought from an independant shop.

Im really interested in this because if suitable cards are available from Nextbase why are we not made aware of it.
Or
Is it that Nextbase just recommend a specific brand/specfication of card.
Personally I do not care what the card costs but it matter a whole lot that the card works 100% of the time the 512GWR.
Presently I am researching industrial SD cards.

Its a little disconcerting that Tiffany or one of her colleagues has not seen fit to post on this thread.

Mike.

It's a Nextbase card. Their branding was all over the packaging and the card itself.

Jacko,
Would you care to share the name of the Nextbase technician who provided the details of the card and where it is available, the price, etc?

Henry,
You say your 'running a Nextbase 32gb card', can to explain how you obtained it please?

Thnak you.
I didn't get his name. He just recommended SanDisk, transcend and nextbase MLC type cards as these were better at deleting and writing when full.

Those that have locking issues. Are you using max resolution and have you tried running on a lower one, say 1080, to see if the card just can't handle the high throughput ?

Just a thought :)

Is dashcam technology with quad HD and 4k too good for SDCard technology ?
No quad 1080p will be just fine on a U3 card with high write speed, quad 4K on the other hand i dont think will fly. but then again the hardware to support that are not here yet.
But really for quad anything i would prefer something else than a flimsy little memory card.

A U1 or U3 class of SD card will be good for 4K quality video as they both have good enough write speeds; however for a dash cam that constantly fills then re-writes over the data, you will need an 'endurance' or 'industrial' card.
These are designed specifically to be in 24hour constants use/re-writes.

Endurance cards also withstand 'random' write slowdown.
For example, copying a single file to an U1 or U3 class of card will write at about 100mbits/second.
But when you mix it up and have random write (where the card is written on constantly in all different areas of the storage) this can drop to 3 or 4mbits/second in some cases.
Endurance cards are specifically designed for this and only reduce to 40-50mbits/second.
An average 4K video is 28mbits/second.

So an Endurance class SD is what you want to look for in a dash cam - as they're designed to be in constant use and still maintain very high write speed when in random write.

The difference between U1 and U3 classes are mainly the speed.
I'm not aware of any U3 endurance class micro SD cards.

A recommended card for high quality resolution or dual recording camera is something like this;
Samsung 128GB Pro Endurance U1 Class

So, to continue with my original post... i got my high endurance card today, an intergral 64gb MLC U3 class from mymemory.

It wasnt a good start. Plugged in the rear camera and formatted the card and set off. But wait! Why had the rear view cam disappeared from the screen? Turned it off and on, it was back. Got to the end of my trip and realised it appeared to be only recording the front. In fact it had failed to record anything.

Right then, pressed the reset button, reset to factory default and formatted the card again. This time it was working, I had a recording of both front and rear for my trip home.

This better be working properly from now on because if not then the whole lot will be going back for a refund.

Danlat
I wish to thank you for such a well constructed and informative post.
Such clear and unambiguous information has been long overdue and Im sure I speak for many members.

It is very annoying that Nextbase has not written something similar long before you, if they had it would have saved so much time, money and frustration for many 512GW/R owners

Another anomally is that Nextbase apears to be including MLC cards with their Halfords 512GW cameras and selling them to members of this forum yet they do not offer them (openly) to everyone else.

When or if someone from Cardiff decides to post a response its content should be interesting indeed.

Back